Thome already hits 2005 home run total | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thome already hits 2005 home run total

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Jim Thome already has as many home runs as he did last season.

Thome and Jermaine Dye hit two-run homers, and Scott Podsednik broke out of his slump to lift the Chicago White Sox over the Toronto Blue Jays 6-4 on Sunday in a game that was stopped by rain after the top of the fifth inning.
The game was called after a 50-minute delay - the second of the afternoon.

Dye went deep in the first, and Thome hit one out in the second for his seventh home run, equaling his total from last season with Philadelphia.
Podsednik tripled, singled and scored two runs after starting the season 3-for-38 and stole his first base.

Toronto's Vernon Wells singled in the third to extend his hitting streak to 12 this season and 13 dating to last year.
Chicago's Freddy Garcia took a shutout into the fifth before running into trouble. With rain pounding the field, he walked four batters - two with the bases loaded - during a four-run rally that cut the lead to 6-4.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5508190

Add Thome to the list of great players the Phillies have gotten rid of too soon......Ryne Sandberg, Scott Rolen, etc. :rolleyes:

Roman529 said:
Add Thome to the list of great players the Phillies have gotten rid of too soon......Ryne Sandberg, Scott Rolen, etc. :rolleyes:

The Phillies did the right thing because they have Howard to play first base. Wasn't it inevitable that they were going to lose Rolen also? With that said Thome is crushing and Jose Contreras has been one of the best pitchers if not the best pitcher since about the middle of last season on, I thought he might struggle with the loss of his close friend El Duque but he's been great. Cleveland has cooled down after the hot start but I expect them and Chicago to be close all season for the division.

djfresh47 said:
The Phillies did the right thing because they have Howard to play first base. Wasn't it inevitable that they were going to lose Rolen also? With that said Thome is crushing and Jose Contreras has been one of the best pitchers if not the best pitcher since about the middle of last season on, I thought he might struggle with the loss of his close friend El Duque but he's been great. Cleveland has cooled down after the hot start but I expect them and Chicago to be close all season for the division.

Getting Rowand from the White Sox has helped....he is a good glove and will hit a lot of homers in Philly. Howard's homer won the game for Philly today....I know the Phils could not continue to afford paying Thome.

Roman529 said:
Getting Rowand from the White Sox has helped....he is a good glove and will hit a lot of homers in Philly. Howard's homer won the game for Philly today....I know the Phils could not continue to afford paying Thome.

I never saw Rowand as a homerun hitter. He's a good all around guy who is great defensively and probably should have been the gold glove CF last year. Brian Anderson has struggled thus far for the Sox but he's a rookie so I think he'll improve. If he does not Ryan Sweeney or Jerry Owens may get a call-up around august.

djfresh47 said:
I never saw Rowand as a homerun hitter. He's a good all around guy who is great defensively and probably should have been the gold glove CF last year. Brian Anderson has struggled thus far for the Sox but he's a rookie so I think he'll improve. If he does not Ryan Sweeney or Jerry Owens may get a call-up around august.

I'm glad to be rid of Rowand, he did have good defense, yes. But not a great power hitter, Thome has already earned his check. Just stay healthy.

icephinfan said:
I'm glad to be rid of Rowand, he did have good defense, yes. But not a great power hitter, Thome has already earned his check. Just stay healthy.

Jim Thome is protecting Konerko but Jermaine Dye when he's been healthy this year is really benefitting. I think Rowand was a very good player but Thome makes the team much better offensively. If Anderson and Uribe get on track the Chisox are going to be extremely difficult to beat.

djfresh47 said:
Jim Thome is protecting Konerko but Jermaine Dye when he's been healthy this year is really benefitting. I think Rowand was a very good player but Thome makes the team much better offensively. If Anderson and Uribe get on track the Chisox are going to be extremely difficult to beat.

Oh yeah...Dye is starting to come on strong this year. Thome is dangerous in that spot with Kornerko after him.Uribe, is consistent, will error now and then but is still solid. You a Sox fan yourself???

I liked Thome because he played for the Cleveland Indians Triple AAA team (the Colorado Springs Sky Sox around 1990) and I got to see him before he he got called up to the Indians and then the Phils. Charlie Manuel, the Phillies current manager, was also the Sky Sox manager when Thome was here. The Sky Sox then became the Rockies AAA team in 1993. I think Howard will have a good career in Philly, but I miss Thome. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom