Thoughts on the OL after the draft | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on the OL after the draft

So many brothers discount scheme... and fit for that scheme.

Power/Gap systems require a completely different skill set than any of the various takes on zone blocking. The first requires sheer strength and the second requires quick feet and the ability to see and react to things as they change (intelligence).

So yes... you ABSOLUTELY MUST draft a different type of lineman so that he FITS within what you are doing.

Brewer TOTALLY fits what we are doing in Miami and he was an awful fit in Tennessee... awful fit. Tennessee had a power gap RB and a slow processing QB... and yet, Brewer rated 11th in the Center ratings.

To have a brother constantly using 'stats' without crediting 'fit' just shows an ignorance of line play. Sorry, but that's the correct word.

I dont hate him. I dont know him. I stated that based on his performace at Center he sucks as a pass blocker and is near the bottom of the barrel in pass protection. That is fact no matter how much you fantasize and drool over this guy. I hope he gets better because now he is the starting Center for the Fins. Thats it.
I don't believe I am fantasizing or drooling over the guy. He is though the most athletic center I have ever seen, as for how he moves in the open field. He moves like a RB. Very coordinated and balanced. He doesn't miss blocks in the open field that I have seen. I look forward to seeing him do one of his backflips after lead-blocking for Achane or Mostert on one of their TD runs.
I'm excited to see what he can do as a run blocker in the Dolphins' outside zone and wide zone. I have explained why I don't believe he will be a bad pass blocker in our offense compared to the Titans' offense. I guess as far as you're concerned that goes in one ear and out the other.
I had heard before free agency the centers the Dolphins were interested in signing were Brewer or Andre James of the Raiders. The latter re-signed with the Raiders shortly before free agency, and I was actually a little relieved. James got 24m for 3 years. Not that it matters. But we got a better deal for Brewer. My friend who's a Raiders fan was very disappointed they re-signed James.

Power/Gap systems require a completely different skill set than any of the various takes on zone blocking. The first requires sheer strength and the second requires quick feet and the ability to see and react to things as they change (intelligence).

So yes... you ABSOLUTELY MUST draft a different type of lineman so that he FITS within what you are doing.

Brewer TOTALLY fits what we are doing in Miami and he was an awful fit in Tennessee... awful fit. Tennessee had a power gap RB and a slow processing QB... and yet, Brewer rated 11th in the Center ratings.

To have a brother constantly using 'stats' without crediting 'fit' just shows an ignorance of line play. Sorry, but that's the correct word.
Well, he is your brother. - LOL

Agree with your thoughts on Williams. None of us know. But, Williams and the coaching staff does. We’ll be the last to know. Hopefully their lack of addressing OC is because they know about Williams already and have a mutual plan. We can only hope.
I've been hearing that they think he will recover and make a comeback and that the team told him they'd welcome him back, but that probably wouldn't occur by the start of the season. My guess is they are hoping he could come back for the second half of the season.

I read a post where somebody said, "they were tired of hearing fit for the system". I thought it was one of the dumbest things I'd heard on this site (and that's saying something!). It is a critical factor in any player's success. It's the difference between Madden football and live football. In Madden you can trade for a player and his stats, ratings etc., will be about the same regardless of the team or system. In live football, the system fit can be the difference between a player being a bust and HOFer.

Depth is a huge worry for me on the OL.
I think it's a legitimate concern b/c we have a couple of penciled-in starters with extensive injury histories. But our depth is better than it has been in a very long time. And we are going into year three with the same system. I can't recall how long it's been since that happened. When you have continuity is when you see "next man up" actually work on the OL. OL play has always been more about 5 guys working together than about the individual talent of the lineman. Continuity increases the odds that you have five healthy guys who are good at working together.

Eagle fans are rarely happy in my experience. My cousin thinks Howie whiffs on too many first round picks but they are essentially a home grown team with a solid roster everywhere. He's got to get credit for a lot of that success. They fell apart last season largely due to a bad secondary and some shaky coaching by Siriani and his assistants. They have re-loaded their personnel and have gotten better coordinators (I think?). I am down on Fangio who seems to be so old-school and hard headed that he's going to run into problems everywhere he coaches. Nevertheless, I think he has players to work with up there. If I saw one more snap with Duke Riley or Eli Apple I'd jump into traffic, Vic had options, he chose not to employ them.

Getting back to the OL, I think Miami has two or three problems regarding their O-line. They haven't been well coached in years. I think JJ and Sparano had some good OL coaches but Philbin, Gase and Flores ran OCs and OL coaches in and out of here like they were hookers at a political convention. Flores' having 3 OCs in three years or whatever it was couldn't have helped AJ or Dieter or any of the OL we drafted.

Second, our FO is reactive, not proactive like KC and Philly, when it comes to acquiring OL through the draft or free agency. We reach for/overdraft prospects then poorly develop them. We'll overpay for free agents because that's what you have to do to get good OL to sign, especially tackles. I gotta give McLovin credit for realizing that his first OL coach, Matt Applebaum (?), wasn't going to cut it. Butch Barry looks like a good hire to this point and hopefully he was pounding the table for Patrick Paul and can develop him quickly,

Heard on @grindingthetape 's podcast that the Eagles and Chiefs have each had their same OL coach for 10-11 years.

Despite all the hand-wringing after the hire, the Fins may have found their OL guru for the next 10 years.

For the first time in an age we have a competent line coach.
the best idea was drafting Armstead's replacement a year early to learn behind and for Butch to coach up.
As long as the injury bug doesn't hit us we will be fine

I read a post where somebody said, "they were tired of hearing fit for the system". I thought it was one of the dumbest things I'd heard on this site (and that's saying something!). It is a critical factor in any player's success. It's the difference between Madden football and live football. In Madden you can trade for a player and his stats, ratings etc., will be about the same regardless of the team or system. In live football, the system fit can be the difference between a player being a bust and HOFer.

May I interest you in Finheaven's Game Day Threads?

May I interest you in Finheaven's Game Day Threads?
LOL, no thank you. The amount of stupidity I've seen in those threads is crazy. They remind me of those Dr. Pepper commercials you see during college football games where fans give up on the team, smash TVs and burn their team memorabilia after the first play of the season.

Heard on @grindingthetape 's podcast that the Eagles and Chiefs have each had their same OL coach for 10-11 years.

Despite all the hand-wringing after the hire, the Fins may have found their OL guru for the next 10 years.
Chip Kelly hired Jeff Stoutland as Eagles OL coach in 2013 and he's been there ever since. He was the Canes OL coach from 2007-2010, so was right under our noses, and let him get away.
Andy Heck was also hired by KC in 2013. Reid's first season as head coach. Gawd, I can remember when the Seahawks drafted him in the 1st round, 1989. Pick 15.

zullo is your real brother?

Back
Top Bottom