Tight Ends... in general | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tight Ends... in general

Dolphins have the need for #1 TE, They do not have one on the roster. They cannot get one in free agency. They cannot get one in a trade. The best they can get is #2 or even #3 quality tight end, and they can get one by paying the price of #1 in a competitive marketplace.
Maybe having a couple of #2 TEs is good enough. Bama played with Cameron Latu and he is not #1 TE quality, and maybe that is good enough in our run and shoot offense, but it is not good to overpay for the position in free agency just because you need better tight ends because you will still have a void at #1 quality TE, you won't solve the problem and you will overpay in free agency.

#1 tight ends are rare, there is only one spot on offense for a tight end and there are only a few, a couple, one, none that can be selected in the draft each year. It's akin to QB position. There are 3 starting spots for corners, linebackers. Those positions are available in abundance in the draft and free agency.

I don't know how important TE is in our run and shoot. Maybe WR#3 is more important or even critical. But I would expect that we will run the ball and a TE is needed for blocking and as a passing threat in option reads; that we will run 2-wideout sets and a TE is important in the passing game in those sets. And I would presume that the #1 TE is needed to run all that rather than to mix and match peronnel and signal the play calling pre snap to defenses. In any case, we do not have #1 TE on the roster, and it is doubtful whether Smythe and Long are even good enough to be #2. We will not get one in a trade, and we will not get one in free agency, We need to draft one.
And to hit on one, they need to select one based on frame, athleticism, and production. All of it. Not just looking at the film and saying I like this guys.

Even if you draft the next George Kittle, he won't be George Kittle until year 2 or 3. By all means, if you think there's a player who has high-end talent, draft and develop him. But, if you're counting on that TE to play well out of the gate, you're setting yourself up for disappointment and your team for failure.

It's highly unlikely that any of the TE's in this class will play as well in 2023 as Josh Oliver, who won't break the bank.

Even if you draft the next George Kittle, he won't be George Kittle until year 2 or 3.

I don't believe in that approach. That's old school Bill Parcells approach, look at the film because I can tell by eye test, select the player based on film, and wait three years to pass judgment. I do not believe that, that's a recipe for disaster.
I believe in year one starter.
Now, in year one, it may take a player to get up to speed on scheme and playcalls, but #1 should play like #1 year 1.

I don't believe in that approach. That's old school Bill Parcells approach, look at the film because I can tell by eye test, select the player based on film, and wait three years to pass judgment. I do not believe that, that's a recipe for disaster.
I believe in year one starter.
Now, in year one, it may take a player to get up to speed on scheme and playcalls, but #1 should play like #1 year 1.

Ok, which TE's have been good starters as rookies?

Do you see a Andrews, Goedert or Kelce in THIS Draft, available at pick #52?

We will see at the combine. I will tell you then with more certainty.
But right now yes, there is Michael Meyer and there is Payne Durham, and there are potentially a few others, like Tucker Kraft, Ben Sims.

We will see at the combine. I will tell you then with more certainty.
But right now yes, there is Michael Meyer and there is Payne Durham, and there are potentially a few others, like Tucker Kraft, Ben Sims.
Andrews and Goedert are Pro Bowlers and Kelce is Hall Of Famer who will go down as the best pass catching TE of All Time.

And you think this Draft has 4 or 5 of those type guys?

There are at the most 5 really good TE's in the NFL right now, it is one of the hardest positions to find a truly excellent player.

None of Kelce, Andrews, Goedert, or Freiermuth started close to 16 games as rookies. Each player was eased into his role.

Again, I'm not saying, They take time, so no thank you. I'm saying Josh Oliver will be better (especially as a blocker) than any of these guys in 2023. Miami will add a starting-caliber TE in FA. They might also draft a TE, but they won't go into the draft with that hole on the roster.

None of Kelce, Andrews, Goedert, or Freiermuth started close to 16 games as rookies. Each player was eased into his role.

Again, I'm not saying, They take time, so no thank you. I'm saying Josh Oliver will be better (especially as a blocker) than any of these guys in 2023. Miami will add a starting-caliber TE in FA. They might also draft a TE, but they won't go into the draft with that hole on the roster.

Everybody needs time to get up to speed when they are first hired, even Josh Oliver.

Andrews and Goedert are Pro Bowlers and Kelce is Hall Of Famer who will go down as the best pass catching TE of All Time.

And you think this Draft has 4 or 5 of those type guys?

There are at the most 5 really good TE's in the NFL right now, it is one of the hardest positions to find a truly excellent player.

In this draft there are a few tight ends who have a chance to be as good and we will know more after the combine. (Kelce is a HoF because that offense revolves around him, he is the leading receiver for a multi superbowl team. We are not gong to need that, will not have that or shoot for that. We need a #1 TE, and #1 TE will give your #2 or #3 receiver stats the first year, 400-500 yards, 3-4 TDs, that is an excellent production for a first year #1 TE, and there are several tight ends capable of being #1 TE in this draft, but we will know more after the combine because athleticism important.)

Kraft/LaPorta so far for me. A cheap vet option wouldn't be terrible either, and we need to give Hunter Long a real good look going into year 3 where TEs usually put it all together.

Last edited:
I don't want to go TE in R2 but I would be fine with them trying to find a sleeper who fits the qualities they are looking for later.

I also would not be surprised by a trade down in R2 to recoup some Draft capital, say the 2nd rounder for a couple of 3's, or a 3,4 and 5 type package.

They need some cheap bodies with the big contracts they are carrying not to mention the Wilkins extension and the possible impending Tua extension, which will be a huge decision for the team obviously.
I think you have to figure out what fits Tuas skillset better..with that keep in mind that throwing to a third option behind Hill and Waddle is gonna happen less frequently then other 3rd options

A tight end who can find some open spots and separate some

Or a dual threat running back with hi level hands ?

Next question is Does Tua like to work the outlets that a good pass catching back presents

Back
Top Bottom