To Eat,Or Not To Eat? That Is The Question | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

To Eat,Or Not To Eat? That Is The Question

Kingdom Come

Active Roster
Reaction score
Very curious to hear from some of the forward thinking members on this board concerning the dead cap hits that the Dolphins may take on next off season.

For example: Kiko is just really ineffective. With the return of Raekwon, the development of Chase Anderson, the possible addition of new additions in next year's free agency and the draft.........Do you just cut him outright and take the loss? or keep him for depth?

Is anyone out there still insisting he should be a starter next year?

What if the Dolphins do replace the FO and coaching staff? What if the new brass wants to move on from Tannehill??

Then there is Branch? It was obviously another horrible contract, but do you keep him on the roster? Or do you just get him off the books as soon as possible.

What about the other overpaid under-performers??

Do the Dolphins try to maneuver their way through these contract situations or just make 2018 the year of 50 mil in dead cap?

I am a little unclear on how quickly the Dolphins can get this crap off their books. How screwed are we??

If they don't do any June 1st delegations and just bend over and take it; What remains on the books in 2019??

On the very extreme possibility we fire the FO and coaches, which is nearly impossible after Year 2, we would purge nearly the entire roster except RT, Suh and a few others.

Unfortunately, Suh isn't going anywhere. And I will be glad when we find someone who desperately wants to build a Defense around an elite MLB.

And furthermore, someone who believes in building a great OL with a true seam threat TE and strong running game. Because frankly, I believe RT is and should be our QB.

Very curious to hear from some of the forward thinking members on this board concerning the dead cap hits that the Dolphins may take on next off season.

For example: Kiko is just really ineffective. With the return of Raekwon, the development of Chase Anderson, the possible addition of new additions in next year's free agency and the draft.........Do you just cut him outright and take the loss? or keep him for depth?

Is anyone out there still insisting he should be a starter next year?

What if the Dolphins do replace the FO and coaching staff? What if the new brass wants to move on from Tannehill??

Then there is Branch? It was obviously another horrible contract, but do you keep him on the roster? Or do you just get him off the books as soon as possible.

What about the other overpaid under-performers??

Do the Dolphins try to maneuver their way through these contract situations or just make 2018 the year of 50 mil in dead cap?

I am a little unclear on how quickly the Dolphins can get this crap off their books. How screwed are we??

If they don't do any June 1st delegations and just bend over and take it; What remains on the books in 2019??

You can't cut Branch or Kiko. It'd cost more to cut them than to keep them and who is Chase Anderson?

Ozzy rules!!

Branch and Kiko are safe just because of the contracts they are on. The 2 veterans on offense that should be on notice are Pouncey and James. I see Pouncey as being forced to restructure his contract to stay on this team and James may very well be waived because of the play of Jesse Davis, this kid came out of no where and is turning himself into a decent right tackle over the last 2 games. If he continues to play well James is gone.

On defense, Wake should start to become a bit worried. He has been invisible the last 4 games and doesn't cost us much to move on, Phillips also has a lot on the line and personally I think will be released. Timmons will be gone at linebacker and I would think they would approach Kiko about a restructure to the current deal and see what he says. Jones may also be forced to look into a restructure due to the start he had this year.

The big changes to some of these players won't happen until after 2018 just because of how the guaranteed money worked out. This is the penalty teams play for investing money in the wrong players.

Branch and Kiko are safe just because of the contracts they are on. The 2 veterans on offense that should be on notice are Pouncey and James. I see Pouncey as being forced to restructure his contract to stay on this team and James may very well be waived because of the play of Jesse Davis, this kid came out of no where and is turning himself into a decent right tackle over the last 2 games. If he continues to play well James is gone.

On defense, Wake should start to become a bit worried. He has been invisible the last 4 games and doesn't cost us much to move on, Phillips also has a lot on the line and personally I think will be released. Timmons will be gone at linebacker and I would think they would approach Kiko about a restructure to the current deal and see what he says. Jones may also be forced to look into a restructure due to the start he had this year.

The big changes to some of these players won't happen until after 2018 just because of how the guaranteed money worked out. This is the penalty teams play for investing money in the wrong players.

So, you are saying that you see Kiko as a starter going forward??

The team is so far from contending at this point that I think it would be wise for it to do a complete rebuild and rid itself of any highly-paid player who isn't in the long-range plans.

I haven't seen JD play yet. Can he play any other position? I'd like to keep James if we can get him on a team friendly extension, which I think is possible given his injury.

So, you are saying that you see Kiko as a starter going forward??
Christ I hope not, the guy has been awful this year. Personally, I hope they move him back to middle linebacker where he was at least serviceable last year. We are simply stuck with him for another year because of how the contract was structured. If he wanted to wear a jersey that actually fit, that would be nice too

I haven't seen JD play yet. Can he play any other position? I'd like to keep James if we can get him on a team friendly extension, which I think is possible given his injury.
He played left guard as well but he is much better as a tackle for what I can see. James is simply going to cost far to much for how inconsistent he is, i'm ready to move on from him.

You can't cut Branch or Kiko. It'd cost more to cut them than to keep them and who is Chase Anderson?

Ozzy rules!!
Yes, hence the thread title. The whole purpose of the thread was to get some input on the details of the remaining cap if they cut one or a few of these guys.

Chase Anderson is an ace starting pitcher for the Milwaukee Brewers. Please pardon my mistake.

You can cut players with negative cap hits if you don't want them taking up a roster spot or if you deem their presence in the locker room less than uplifting.
Eating dead cap is a clear sign of a bona fide rebuild. It just must kill the owner when it happens.

I don't see changes not induced by the cap or contract expiring; Gase is simply to arrogant in believing his way is the only way.

Back
Top Bottom