Tony Pauline: Hello from Mobile! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tony Pauline: Hello from Mobile!

datruth55

Hungry for defense
Club Member
Reaction score
Here’s the opening salvo from Mobile.

Update 6:30

Why are the New England Patriots such a dominant organization? Here's just one example.
While team employees at the players hotel are exchanging greetings, a lone Patriots scout has a table to himself and has been interviewing players all afternoon. On the table is a tablet he's using to review their game film.

4:45PM

I’m hearing differing opinions on two underclassmen quarterbacks available for April’s draft.

Since the NFLPA game, I’ve been told scouts have cooled on Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer. The combination of poor progression and questionable film from 2016 as well as character questions has raised red flags.

I’m told the quarterback most intriguing to scouts the most is Patrick Mahomes of Texas Tech. His arm strength, general accuracy and upside has many believing he could jump into the second round if he throws and interviews well during the combine, Pro Day and individual workouts.

Confirming my report from January 7th, quarterback Seth Russell of Baylor is on hand and will participate in the workout then inteview throughout the week.

Insiders tell me Tim Williams of Alabama is being underrated by most people. Scouts believe Williams could develop into one of the best defensive players from this year’s draft if he’s focused on football.

That’s one heck of a compliment considering the top of the 2017 draft.

Those scouts love Williams’ athleticism, explosion and ability to disrupt the action. They also like the fact Williams returned for his senior season and improved on the field.
Off-the-field red flags are a concern, but many here feel it won’t hurt Williams’ draft stock all that much as his talent is too great.

I was told minutes ago a decision on whether Takkarist McKinley undergoes shoulder surgery will be made in about two weeks. At this point, it’s not known if surgery is even required, and it’s something his team hopes to avoid if possible.

The final batch of combine invitations is expected to be sent out around January 30. It will include declared underclassmen as well as seniors who were on the bubble and did not receive an invitation during the first go-around.

Getting back to last week’s NFLPA game, sources on hand tell me one player who really impressed was Jonathan Calvin, the sleeper defensive lineman from Mississippi State we first mentioned during our St. Petersburg Bowl preview. Teams like the big man’s athleticism, movement skills and pass-rushing ability.

One team that seems keen on Calvin is the New York Jets. I’m told the Jets, who had a big presence at NFLPA practices, twice interviewed Calvin. General manager Mike Maccagnan took part in one of the interviews.

On a personal note, I believe the criticisms of Maccagnan are way off base. The Jets general manager is a meticulous and detailed worker as well as a terrific scout.

Maccagnan took over a team riddled with holes and -- in two drafts -- fortified the defensive line, rebuilt the linebacker core and set up the receiver position for the future.

There are still holes, but it was never going to be an overnight fix.

Those who watch Maccagnan work appreciate his attention to detail.
http://draftanalyst.com/hello-mobile

Never understood the Kizer hype and I did not know that McKinley was injured.

Back
Top Bottom