Top 10 Best Defensive Nicknames ever | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 10 Best Defensive Nicknames ever

miamifire

Scout Team
Reaction score
So with the offseason here and news is slow, I thought I would enter a fun post about my list of top 10 all time Defensive Nicknames. So here is my list...........
10. The NY Sack Exchange. Hated the team...cool nickname.
9. The Fearsome Foursome. Bit before my time.
8. The Big Blue Wrecking Crew. Awesome D led by L.T.
7. The Killer "B"s. I don't mention the No Name Defense here because that name is disrespectful to the talent and performance of those great players.
6.The Purple People Eaters. Great talent..never won the big one.
5. The Orange Crush. Loved this one.
4. The Monsters of the Midway. Again before my time.
3. The Steel Curtain. Iconic.
2. The Legion of Boom. Love this one. Cool take on the old Road Warriors tag team .
1. Doomsday. Brings back old memories of 1970's old school classic Cowboy teams.
Remember, these are NOT my list of greatest Defenses ever...just nicknames!

You got all the best ones - well done. How about some not so good ones like the 1989
“Miami Pound Machine” - who didn’t pound anyone. Or the niners “Dwight Hicks and the Hot Licks” - oof that was hard to listen to.

Funny there's a comedian in Nashville that goes by the moniker "Killer B".
Wonder if he took that name before or after we had that defense.
BTW. I saw this "killer b" on "moonshiners"...........lol

So with the offseason here and news is slow, I thought I would enter a fun post about my list of top 10 all time Defensive Nicknames. So here is my list...........
10. The NY Sack Exchange. Hated the team...cool nickname.
9. The Fearsome Foursome. Bit before my time.
8. The Big Blue Wrecking Crew. Awesome D led by L.T.
7. The Killer "B"s. I don't mention the No Name Defense here because that name is disrespectful to the talent and performance of those great players.
6.The Purple People Eaters. Great talent..never won the big one.
5. The Orange Crush. Loved this one.
4. The Monsters of the Midway. Again before my time.
3. The Steel Curtain. Iconic.
2. The Legion of Boom. Love this one. Cool take on the old Road Warriors tag team .
1. Doomsday. Brings back old memories of 1970's old school classic Cowboy teams.
Remember, these are NOT my list of greatest Defenses ever...just nicknames!
Before Super Bowl VI, Tom Landry said he couldn't name any of the players on the Dolphins defense so called them a bunch of no name guys. The press and The Dolphins changed that to The No-Name Defense and tried to use that as bulletin board material for the game. It wasn't until the following season that The No-Name Defense really made a name for itself by leading the league in both scoring and total defense.

I hate the Bronco’s No Fly Zone Defense here. I just think Talib is the dirtiest player in the NFL, and I hope the Raider’s Crabtree beats his ass the next time he pops off.

Before Super Bowl VI, Tom Landry said he couldn't name any of the players on the Dolphins defense so called them a bunch of no name guys. The press and The Dolphins changed that to The No-Name Defense and tried to use that as bulletin board material for the game. It wasn't until the following season that The No-Name Defense really made a name for itself by leading the league in both scoring and total defense.
And who was #2 on those lists ... the vaunted Steel Curtain. The No Name Defense doesn't get its due. Guys like Mr. Richard "Dick" Anderson, Manny Fernandez and others deserved HoF consideration as well. Having only 1 HoF'er in that defense is a travesty.

And who was #2 on those lists ... the vaunted Steel Curtain. The No Name Defense doesn't get its due. Guys like Mr. Richard "****" Anderson, Manny Fernandez and others deserved HoF consideration as well. Having only 1 HoF'er in that defense is a travesty.
I agree that only one player from that defense is in the hall is a travesty. I don't know how Jake Scott with his 49 career interceptions wasn't given greater consideration.

Then again, the media really only focused on the Dolphins offense so...the nickname The No-Name Defense is appropriate.

I agree that only one player from that defense is in the hall is a travesty. I don't know how Jake Scott with his 49 career interceptions wasn't given greater consideration.

Then again, the media really only focused on the Dolphins offense so...the nickname The No-Name Defense is appropriate.
IMHO, that nickname prevented those guys from getting any press. If they existed today half that defense would be touted by announcers as the best ever at their positions. Ridiculous how over-hyped the media makes good players these days. But back then, nobody cared about the AFC, and when we beat the NFC, somehow they always thought it was a fluke or something.

Scott for sure should be in the Hall. He and Shula had an ugly parting of the ways, but a guy that had 49 career picks and a SB MVP should easily be in.

Back
Top Bottom