Top 10 campaigns in NFL history | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 10 campaigns in NFL history

Sorry, but Dan Marino was already playing in a dumbed up league, compared to what I witnessed earlier. Not even debatable. I think they had the correct balance in the '80s and '90s but it was hardly the brutal sport of the '60s and early '70s. The posters who rip Joe Namath, now that's comedic. Candidates for the corn field. They look at those stats and think it was today's rules and style of play, with worthless dump off passes and crossing patterns. Namath was a true downfield gunslinger. His lifetime 14.7 yards per completion is seven tenths higher than the best season Marino ever had (1984), and more than 2 yards beyond Marino's lifetime average. By Marino's era it was already an underneath league with heavy benefit of a doubt to the passer, compared to only 10 or 15 years earlier.

I remember Namath, I watched Namath.....please don't even attempt to put Namath in the same sentence as Marino, let alone try to force feed us anything that would indicate Namath in any way did anything better then Marino.

Namath was a very gifted player, but he was inconsistent, and no where as dominant as Marino. Every defense that played Miami knew one thing about their offense, stop Marino, you stop the Offense, yet VERY VERY rarely did any defense stop or even slow down Marino. Namath relied on the running game, no running game, very rarely was there much offense.

According to doogie, your great athletic accomplishment isn't valid unless you are also a candidate for the nobel prize.

Awsi, recognize great athletes when they are present. Don't ignore facts, which you are so clearly doing.

Athletes now are bigger, stronger, faster, and plain ol' better than they used to be. This is evident in almost every single sport on the planet. Specific evidence can be seen if you only look at track and field athletes. It's pretty simple, actually. It's downright ignorant to think otherwise.

According to doogie, your great athletic accomplishment isn't valid unless you are also a candidate for the nobel prize.

Awsi, recognize great athletes when they are present. Don't ignore facts, which you are so clearly doing.

Athletes now are bigger, stronger, faster, and plain ol' better than they used to be. This is evident in almost every single sport on the planet. Specific evidence can be seen if you only look at track and field athletes. It's pretty simple, actually. It's downright ignorant to think otherwise.

In any era Jim Brown would have been among the biggest, fastest and the strongest and no runningback that has ever played the game is better than him.
As for rice he wasnt the biggest , the strongest or fastest but again he was the best. Johnson has him beat in all three of those categories

In any era Jim Brown would have been among the biggest, fastest and the strongest and no runningback that has ever played the game is better than him.
As for rice he wasnt the biggest , the strongest or fastest but again he was the best. Johnson has him beat in all three of those categories

Everything in your post is opinion and there are no facts to back it up. Jim Brown was about 230 lbs, average size for a rb now days. he reportedly ran a 45 40, pretty average still. strongest is also debatable but we have no real figures to back that up again.

the real fact is that all athletes are as I said, bigger, faster, and stronger than previous athletes.

as for Jerry rice, he was great and his receiving record has just been broken. that qualifies for more than most here are giving credit for. who cares if Johnson was smiling, he just accomplished something huge.

I'm beginning to think that a majority of posters on here don't really know much about what makes up the psyche of a high level athlete.

Everything in your post is opinion and there are no facts to back it up. Jim Brown was about 230 lbs, average size for a rb now days. he reportedly ran a 45 40, pretty average still. strongest is also debatable but we have no real figures to back that up again.

the real fact is that all athletes are as I said, bigger, faster, and stronger than previous athletes.

as for Jerry rice, he was great and his receiving record has just been broken. that qualifies for more than most here are giving credit for. who cares if Johnson was smiling, he just accomplished something huge.

I'm beginning to think that a majority of posters on here don't really know much about what makes up the psyche of a high level athlete.

Greatness is not judged on one season and Johnson has broke but one record, records are made to be broken and this is a pass happy league now. As for Brown its the opinion of most so called experts that he was the best ever and 230 pounds is not average for a runningback even now. Thats still a big runningback. He ran track and was a good enough athlete to even excel at Lacrosse and basketball. He is the only runningback in NFL history to average 100 yards a game. By strongest Im saying the way he broke tackles, he was a great all around runningback. What the hell are u talking about smiling ?
Greatness is measured over time not a few seasons and both of these guys were the greatest over an extended time. Rice has almost 200 receiving tds he averaged like 9.5 a yearf for almost 19 years lol.

Marino's was the most significant in my eyes, because of the tremendous impact he had on that team, and the distance from what he did and what the average and previous high were. His accomplishment is simply so far beyond anything else that was being done at that time.

It's insanity. Simpson should be closer to first than tenth. I'd probably rate him first.

Buffalo had a rookie quarterback who completed barely 44% of his passes that year, and for only 5.7 yards per attempt. Defenses were already sturdy against the run in that era but against the Bills you could all but ignore the pass. Granted, Buffalo had an emerging talented offensive line and a rugged complimentary classic fullback in Jim Braxton. But 2000 yards was so unthinkable it didn't even enter the discussion until the final two weeks. That final game against the Jets was one of the memorable telecasts in NFL history, given the preoccupation on an individual quest, and the snowy playing conditions. The upcoming playoffs weren't a topic at all that week, competing against O.J.'s pursuit of history.

Yeah but when you're a double murderer scumbag it kinda effects the way people look at you...It may not be fair to the facts, but it is fair to human nature!

Back
Top Bottom