Top 3 QBs: It's Not Them, It's You | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 3 QBs: It's Not Them, It's You

LouPhinFan

It's ok to say "I don't know".
Club Member
Reaction score
http://grantland.com/features/2014-...hnny-manziel-blake-bortles-teddy-bridgewater/

It’s Not Them, It’s You

Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater, and Johnny Manziel are all first-round talents with fifth-round flaws. So, who’s going to be drafted first? And who’s going to be the best pro? Your answer probably says more about you than it does about the kid you pick.

At any given time, there are typically only eight to 12 people who are qualified to be NFL starting quarterbacks. Worse, it’s not always clear who those players will be, as veterans age into decline and big-ticket free agents go bust with new teams. It’s no surprise, then, that raw and untested quarterback prospects — whose pro careers are projected based on college game film, combine measurements, a few interviews, and some throws made indoors against air instead of a defense — fail more often than they succeed.

Unless an NFL team has a historically great defense, however, it’s nearly impossible to win a Super Bowl without a top-tier signal-caller, which means general managers and head coaches must grit their teeth and draft quarterbacks. And they must draft them high.

Enter this year’s top three quarterback prospects: Central Florida’s Blake Bortles, Louisville’s Teddy Bridgewater, and Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel.[SUP]1[/SUP] All three of these quarterbacks are underclassmen who declared early, won lots of games while posting big numbers in college, and possess many of the key skills talent evaluators prize. All three also have glaring flaws that must be addressed, which means none of them is a lock for NFL success...

Chris Brown is an excellent football writer and knows his stuff as a former college player. His book Smart Football is a must read. Here he's got a very fair critique and comparison of the top 3 QBs in this week's draft.

Well worth your time to read.

When it's all said and done Zach Mettenberger will probably be the best QB in this class and he'd be a perfect fit in Arizona under Bruce Arians.

Unless an NFL team has a historically great defense, however, it’s nearly impossible to win a Super Bowl without a top-tier signal-caller

2013:I am not sure Wilson is in the top tier yet.
2012: Flacco not top tier(though he played like it in January)
2011: Eli not top tier
2007: Eli not top tier
2005: ben wasn't top tier yet
2001: Brady wasn't top tier yet

teddy bridgewater

(everybody else)

Agree, though Manziel is very intriguing also for a team like us where we can afford to roll the dice.

Mettenberger is a statue who makes very poor and immature life choices. pass.

i'm really shocked that a team in the top 10 is not gonna say screw it the tapes too good and turn in the teddy bridgewater card...if he needs to wear the glove so be it...wear the gloves

pre and post snap read and progressions this kids on his own level in this class

Absolutely. As I said somewhere else, the team that ignores the crap and just drafts Teddy will be a happy team.

2013:I am not sure Wilson is in the top tier yet.
2012: Flacco not top tier(though he played like it in January)
2011: Eli not top tier
2007: Eli not top tier
2005: ben wasn't top tier yet
2001: Brady wasn't top tier yet

All those teams had pretty good defenses that were balanced out by above average QB play.

if i was the jets i would jump on bridgewater at 18 if i'm cinci i jump on him also...do not want that kid in our division...his fall on draft boards well it's rediculous...someones gonna get a major steal

if we needed a qb i'd pounce on that action at 19 before the commish could even say we are on the clock

All those teams had pretty good defenses that were balanced out by above average QB play.

the quote was historically great, the only 2 Ds to win w/ historically great Ds and non elite QBs in recent times were the Ravens and Bucs.

if i was the jets i would jump on bridgewater at 18 if i'm cinci i jump on him also...do not want that kid in our division...his fall on draft boards well it's rediculous...someones gonna get a major steal

if we needed a qb i'd pounce on that action at 19 before the commish could even say we are on the clock

Ian Rapoport‏@RapSheet 1h
Interesting to hear #Jets keeping in regular contact with QBs slated to go in the first round. Maybe in case one falls. Maybe serious at 18

Not being a smart ass but when you did come back Junc thought you were in self imposed exile?

Don't be surprised if Tom Savage emerges 3-4 years from now as the top QB from this class.

Don't be surprised if Tom Savage emerges 3-4 years from now as the top QB from this class.

No, I'll be very surprised.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

Teddy took a 2 day visit with the Pats (U of L OLB Marcus Smith was on that visit as well). I could see them moving up if Teddy falls far enough to take the heir apparent to Brady, while moving Mallet somewhere (perhaps in that very trade).

Back
Top Bottom