Trade possibility? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade possibility?

I've said many times that I'm not in favour of drafting TEs early... and was really against the mob who wanted Kyle Pitts (who I saw as more of a slot TE... still do), but if this deal were to come to pass, it would help us on several levels. It would greatly reduce our future salary cap issues, as well as bringing in a potential star TE for this offense.

One of the reasons, I have not been on the TE train is the simple fact that we already have a first and second option for targets on the field. I'm unconvinced that a Tight End would add much when Hill/Waddle are already soaking up the intermediate targets... now, if we replaced Waddle on those targets while adding more blocking and unpredictability... I might do that.

Maybe... I'd certainly consider it.
I wouldn't consider getting rid of Waddle. What do we do when Tyreeks leaves? Tyreek has already stated he'll play out his contract then he is retiring from football. He is signed through 26 but he'll never see that final year as he is slotted to make 56 million that year and he'll be 32 years old. Realistically he has 2 more years to play and we already have a proven young replacement on the roster who isn't that far off in ability. No way I'm getting rid of Waddle, those types of guys don't grow on trees... :shrug:

This. Plus, McDaniel has shown that he doesn't use the TE. Gesicki is a good example. While he's a terrible blocker and can't get YAC, he is a good possession receiver who makes some nice catches and moves the sticks. He did well under Flores. McDaniel however, wanted him to block and pretty much refused to use him as a receiver. Yes, I remember Gesicki making a huge miss last year, I believe in the playoff game, but maybe it was because he was rusty and barely used. This past year, Smythe had just 43 targets total in the regular season. I know McDaniel came from SF and TE Kittle was a weapon in SF, but that was probably because Shanahan was calling the plays and not McDaniel.

For the last year, I have argued that the REASON we don't throw to our Tight Ends is BECAUSE our two best receivers do most of their damage in the intermediate areas.
Because Hill and Waddle (and Berrios) were all guys who you either lined up in the slot or got them open through motion or bunch sets, you were minimizing the area on the field where you expect your TEs to work... and this is why I say that reaching for a TE is a bad idea.

Now... if we moved one of the two (and their coming costs), we could use a TE. Personally, I'm not nearly as high on obtaining a receiving TE as many here. It looks like tripling down on one area of the field, but again... Waddle is gonna ask for 25-30m per year... and there has been smoke about his availability.

I'd move anyone on this team... for the right offer.

I haven’t once thought we should consider trading Waddle this offseason but I must say that is definitely an intriguing scenario……

I still don’t think I’d accept that offer but it definitely would have me thinking. I wouldn’t decline that offer and hang up the phone tho…. If the Giants offered us a trade like that then I would definitely give them a counter offer to see if I could sweeten up the package….

My counter would look something like this……..

Waddle
1st Round (21st Overall)
5th Round (157th Overall)

FOR

1st Round (6th Overall)
2nd Round (39th Overall)
2nd Round (47th Overall)
3rd Round (70th Overall)

The Giants get a proven player like Waddle while also being able to draft someone in the 1st round (21st overall).
We get back a potential generational TE that’s unproven while also loading up on several picks that’s in the top 70.
Majority of our fan base already wants to trade down to add picks so if a scenario came up like this then the Giants would have to help make that happen too.

If they accepted a counter like that, we would then have 5 picks in the first two days of the draft and 1 of those picks would be the 6th overall…..

Our draft could potentially look like this……

1st Round (6th Overall): Brock Bowers
2nd Round (39th Overall): JPJ
2nd Round (47th Overall): Xavier Worthy
2nd Round (55th Overall): Edgerrin Cooper
3rd Round (70th Overall): Roman Wilson
6th Round (186th Overall): BPA
6th Round (200th Overall): BPA
7th Round (239th Overall): BPA

We’d be able to land a TE that we desperately need. A center that we desperately need. A potential starting LB that we need. As well as 2 top 20 WRs since WR would be a big need after moving Waddle.

All that is definitively not happening tho. Even the initial trade suggestion with Waddle for the 6th overall pick straight up. It’s still fun to brainstorm potential ways to try and improve our roster during the offseason tho! Especially since we have nothing better to do when it comes to football right now 😂

I wouldn't consider getting rid of Waddle. What do we do when Tyreeks leaves? Tyreek has already stated he'll play out his contract then he is retiring from football. He is signed through 26 but he'll never see that final year as he is slotted to make 56 million that year and he'll be 32 years old. Realistically he has 2 more years to play and we already have a proven young replacement on the roster who isn't that far off in ability. No way I'm getting rid of Waddle, those types of guys don't grow on trees... :shrug:

I've been open about my thoughts about Waddle. I don't think he is in Hill's league. Until proven otherwise, I think he's a 1b type of reciever. Good between the 20s... and not so much in the red zone.

Very good... not great. Most disagree... but that's where I am.

OK, this makes sense, and I would agree. Which is why personally, if we were to lose either Wr I would rather keep Waddle.

But here's a FAR OUT scenario.

Suddenly the Giants may trade for Waddle.

Rumors are circulating Minny is "willing to listen" to offers for Justin Jefferson.

Well, if Daniel's is still on the board at 6. Trade Waddle for #6. THen Offer 6 to Minny for Jefferson.

It's beautiful lol. I mean who wouldn't trade Waddle for Jefferson straight up haha.

Crazy, but when a potential franchise QB is there, you may just be willing to let Jefferson go, knowing you can replace him at 11.

Crazy I know. Let's do it

I've been open about my thoughts about Waddle. I don't think he is in Hill's league. Until proven otherwise, I think he's a 1b type of reciever. Good between the 20s... and not so much in the red zone.

Very good... not great. Most disagree... but that's where I am.
I can respect that, he doesn't have Hill's twitch, and very few ever will. He shined the year he played without Hill, he's now in his shadow...

They absolutely do grow on trees, just ask the Lions. Amon St. Brown was picked off a 4th ROUND branch, while Grier traded up, coughing a future 1st to pick Waddle. 😂

OK, this makes sense, and I would agree. Which is why personally, if we were to lose either Wr I would rather keep Waddle.

But here's a FAR OUT scenario.

Suddenly the Giants may trade for Waddle.

Rumors are circulating Minny is "willing to listen" to offers for Justin Jefferson.

Well, if Daniel's is still on the board at 6. Trade Waddle for #6. THen Offer 6 to Minny for Jefferson.

It's beautiful lol. I mean who wouldn't trade Waddle for Jefferson straight up haha.

Crazy, but when a potential franchise QB is there, you may just be willing to let Jefferson go, knowing you can replace him at 11.

Crazy I know. Let's do it
:bnkr:
:HRT:

They absolutely do grow on trees, just ask the Lions. Amon St. Brown was picked off a 4th ROUND branch, while Grier traded up, coughing a future 1st to pick Waddle. 😂
Are you comparing St. Brown to Hill? I hope not. And yeah, Hill was drafted in the 5th round, who woulda thought? I stand by my statement that they do not grow on trees...

Absolutely not. While Bowers is a fantastic receiving TE, he leaves a lot to be desired from his lack of blocking. Be careful what you wish for with this type of trade. McDaniel hasn't shown he's willing to utilize his TE's like KC and San Francisco do. Waddle fits like a glove in Miami's offense and is a proven commodity within McDaniel's scheme. Not sure Bowers will be the glove fit Waddle is.

It's interesting. I floated the idea around a few weeks ago, Miami should consider moving forward without either Hill or Waddle.

Here we are lol.

I personally am not trading Waddle foe Bowers.

Buuuuuttttt.

If Joe Alt is there at 6? Well, that's a diferrent story.

Alt
JPJ at 21
If either Haynes or Beebe fall to 55

I might just cry tears of endless joy with that outcome lol
I don’t think any NFL team is going to give up a top 10 pick for Waddle. That being said, if this trade really did happen I would want us to draft Joe Alt over Bowers as well. Alt should be on the board unless the Patriots do not draft a QB. I’m guessing it goes Williams, Daniels, Maye, Harrison Jr, Nabers.

I don’t think any NFL team is going to give up a top 10 pick for Waddle. That being said, if this trade really did happen I would want us to draft Joe Alt over Bowers as well. Alt should be on the board unless the Patriots do not draft a QB. I’m guessing it goes Williams, Daniels, Maye, Harrison Jr, Nabers.

Agreed on both parts.

If this were to somehow happen, I would hope it's for Alt as well. I would actually be disappointed if it was for Bowers

I've said many times that I'm not in favour of drafting TEs early... and was really against the mob who wanted Kyle Pitts (who I saw as more of a slot TE... still do), but if this deal were to come to pass, it would help us on several levels. It would greatly reduce our future salary cap issues, as well as bringing in a potential star TE for this offense.

One of the reasons, I have not been on the TE train is the simple fact that we already have a first and second option for targets on the field. I'm unconvinced that a Tight End would add much when Hill/Waddle are already soaking up the intermediate targets... now, if we replaced Waddle on those targets while adding more blocking and unpredictability... I might do that.

Maybe... I'd certainly consider it.
I’m trying to think of a time we had 2 alpha wideouts + a stud pass-catching TE and am coming up kinda blank.

Paul Warfield / Nat Moore - for one season. Ended in the Sea of Hands debacle. Don’t know who the TE was that year. Andre Tillman? Wasn’t Mandich, was it?

Nat Moore / Duriel Harris + a lot of good TEs in Bruce Hardy, Joe Rose, etc

Duper / Clayton + same TE group above and Dan Johnson though Jensen got those “other” targets more

Fryar / Ingram / Keith Jackson - this is probably “it” / close as we ever had to the scenario

Thus, I conclude you may be right that w 2 alpha WRs the TE may not add much

🤔

Back
Top Bottom