Training Camp Positional Preview: Defensive Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training Camp Positional Preview: Defensive Line

PhinPhan in MA

Starter
Reaction score
Here is part four of my training camp positional previews. This installment wraps up the defensive side of the ball. To see my previous installments click the links below:

Cornerbacks

Safeties
Linebackers

This latest piece breaks down the defensive line and talks about what each player currently on the roster can bring to the team this season.

Check out that article here.

Here's an excerpt:
What to expect: Before training camp has even begun the Dolphins have already lost a promising young DL player in Fred Evans after his trouble with the law. It's always tough to lose talented young players since they are the future of the team, but the front office did what it had to do in this situation. Fortunately, Miami has several other young talents on the roster to cultivate for the future. As for this coming season, the defensive line will again be an area of great strength. Leading the unit is, of course, the reigning Defensive Player of the Year, Jason Taylor. He is the focal point of a strong pass rush. In fact, 28 of the 47 sacks recorded by the Miami defense last season were tallied by returning DL players from last season (Taylor, Traylor, Holliday, and Roth). The 28 sacks recorded by those four players alone were more than four teams recorded by all defensive players combined (Washington, 19; Tampa Bay/Indianapolis, 25; Tennessee, 26) and tied with two other teams (Houston/Cleveland, 28)! When four returning players are outperforming the pass rushes of entire NFL defenses, you can be certain that the DL will once again be able to create havoc for the opposing quarterbacks. This unit also clogs running lanes extremely well. Opposing ball-carriers were held to a paltry 3.5 yards per carry and the defense allowed only 7 TDs on the ground all season. Additionally, the defense finished fourth overall in the NFL last season in yards allowed per game with only 289.1 yards. The defensive line played a crucial part in that success and it will continue to do so this season.
Check out that article and let me know what you expect from the defensive line this season and which players will make the roster.

Back
Top Bottom