Tua vs. Herbert/Burrow | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua vs. Herbert/Burrow

EROCK528

Active Roster
Reaction score
It was very clear last year that Tua was not up the standard set by the other top QB picks....but I am very confident that we will see significant improvement with Tua and the gap close if not be eliminated. My confidence in Tua improvement is based on the fact that he is a very different QB than either Herbert or Burrow. Herbert and Burrow are both strong arm and athletic QB's which make it easier to make a more immediate impact. Tua success, on the other hand, is based on accuracy and timing which requires time to develop the needed chemistry with his receivers. Tua last year had no minicamp, was coming off a major injury and had a depleted WR corp to work with. I think Tua is similar and will develop more like Drew Brees and Steve Young...both took a little time to become the star QBs that they ultimately became....only time will tell...but I am very hopeful.

Burrow's arm is not notably stronger than Tua's...Herbert's definitely is, and Tua's play wasn't clearly substandard to Burrow's, their teams operated differently.

Aside from that I'd agree, Tua will close, if not overcome (my belief) the gaps in 2021.

Hurray GIF by memecandy

Another Tua thread!!!

Remember, Herbert and Burrow didn't have a normal training camp either.

But the OP makes a great point about timing and anticipation. That takes time, getting to know wide receivers, working with them over and over etc.

No question, Miami has significantly improved the talent around Tua as well.

To compare Tua against Burrow and Herbert is simply foolish at this point for the following reasons.

Burrow redshirt senior having thrown 945 passes.

Herbert true senior having thrown 1293 passes.

Tua true junior having thrown 684 passes.

Besides being the least experienced, Tua was the only player dealing with a significant injury. Tua's trainer this off-season, Nick Hicks, has a machine that measures hip strength and said Tua was probably around 60% recovered playing last year. Being medically cleared to resume football activity and fully recovered are two different things. HIcks said Tua's injured side now tests stronger than the opposite side after 4 months of training together.

After being drafted, Burrow and Herbert were free to be working out with teammates to develop chemistry. Whereas Tua's energy was trying to get healthier.

Obviously none of them had OTA's, minicamps, or preseason games, but only Burrow and Herbert were getting all their reps in practices leading up to the season and the first half of the season with the 1st team. Fitz was getting those for Miami.

Any comparison between Tua and Herbert or Burrow right now is simply premature. Of course that isn't going to stop anyone that has their mind made up and doesn't like Tua, it will just be an exercise in mental masturbation in an attempt to prove themselves right.

Last edited:
It was very clear last year that Tua was not up the standard set by the other top QB picks....but I am very confident that we will see significant improvement with Tua and the gap close if not be eliminated. My confidence in Tua improvement is based on the fact that he is a very different QB than either Herbert or Burrow. Herbert and Burrow are both strong arm and athletic QB's which make it easier to make a more immediate impact. Tua success, on the other hand, is based on accuracy and timing which requires time to develop the needed chemistry with his receivers. Tua last year had no minicamp, was coming off a major injury and had a depleted WR corp to work with. I think Tua is similar and will develop more like Drew Brees and Steve Young...both took a little time to become the star QBs that they ultimately became....only time will tell...but I am very hopeful.
Um, hmm. Burrows arm is not that strong. And Herbert had a good supporting cast on offense. Stop with the comparisons. It’s dumb

Back
Top Bottom