Turning to the future to protect Tua | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Turning to the future to protect Tua

HollowBeast

Active Roster
Reaction score
Looking at what I feel we need to do to keep Tua healthy , Protect him, with the now limited draft capitol , there does appear to be some potential if we can get close to them to consider , also looking at another big D lineman in case we can’t sign Wilkins, then more corners , we may be able to find another Kader .
I don’t see any way we can beat the Bills with out Tua. 😢
these 5 players I would like

1673366559591.png
Let me know what you all think of these players.1673366484954.png

Attachments

• 1673366533057.png
    1673366533057.png
    190.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 068927F6-4A3F-4D82-8087-4B387E752DB9.png
    068927F6-4A3F-4D82-8087-4B387E752DB9.png
    175.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 7B3B6526-A5B1-477C-A18C-194325FF5016.png
    7B3B6526-A5B1-477C-A18C-194325FF5016.png
    175.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 9C73A950-C667-4313-91BB-191EC5CC7968.png
    9C73A950-C667-4313-91BB-191EC5CC7968.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 9
You can’t protect Tua. There’s nothing anyone can do now.

He suffered 3 concussions in the span of about 10 weeks. Every concussion just gets easier to sustain.

Every time he bumps his head on the ground and it bounces from being tackled - he’s going to get concussed.

The only people that can protect Tua are those close to him that care enough about him to make him realize he’s more than a football player, and walk away. He’s a dad now. He’s a husband. He’s a son and a brother.

Unfortunately for him, I don’t think he has that. And he’s not smart enough to realize it on his own.

Orhorhoro went back to Clemson for another season.

He suffered 3 concussions in the span of about 10 weeks. Every concussion just gets easier to sustain.

Every time he bumps his head on the ground and it bounces from being tackled - he’s going to get concussed.

The only people that can protect Tua are those close to him that care enough about him to make him realize he’s more than a football player, and walk away. He’s a dad now. He’s a husband. He’s a son and a brother.

Unfortunately for him, I don’t think he has that. And he’s not smart enough to realize it on his own.

Orhorhoro went back to Clemson for another season.
Slimm!?

After all these years coaching and watching football youve seen numerous kids get concussions, multiples in a season. Have you advised them to call it a career?

Or is this just because Tua is on a team your not fond of?

Im kind of surprised by this post. Just curious because I respect your opinions a great deal.

Slimm!?

After all these years coaching and watching football youve seen numerous kids get concussions, multiples in a season. Have you advised them to call it a career?

Or is this just because Tua is on a team your not fond of?

Im kind of surprised by this post. Just curious because I respect your opinions a great deal.

I don’t make that call. Those decisions are left up to parents and families to make. Not football coaches.

It’s interesting because although I’m not actively coaching anymore and only consult when needed - I’m still AHSAA certified. Which you have to be in order to work hands on with student athletes in the state of Alabama.

Part of that certification is being certified in CPR and AED. There are ambulances and EMT on standby at the games on Friday nights in case of a situation just like the one millions of people saw take place with Damar Hamlin.

But you don’t have ambulances on standby during practice. You as the coach may be the first responder for a player in a potential situation where you have to administer life saving techniques until EMT’s arrive.

When I played, we knew nothing about head injuries and brain trauma. I’ve learned more in the past 3 years about it through keeping my AHSAA certifications than I did in the previous 30 years of coaching. Everyone has.

Tua is receiving repeated head trauma on routine tackles. Not violent collisions. This is because the damage is already done and cannot be reversed. His brain is telling him it can’t continue.

This is an extremely difficult realization for players to come to. Especially when football is all you know. And especially when you’re cashing 6 figure paychecks weekly.

A lot of players don’t have people around them that can point them in the right direction. Some do. Which is why you see players like Andrew Luck walk away. It’s just not worth it. He wasn’t even dealing with the seriousness of what Tua faces.

The knowledge gained is why you see so many players now retire at 10 years in the league compared to years past. As soon as they can get vested - they’re out. They now know what I know.

Nobody in the dolphins organization gives a **** about Tua. All they care about is what he can do for them.

My hope is that someone who genuinely cares about him can get through to him. He’ll die on the football field if it means not feeling like he let anyone in his family down. That is exactly what has me worried for Tua. I know his family.

Years down the road, football will not be important to him. Being able to remember his child’s name will be important to him.

I’m just saying I hope someone somewhere has Tua’s best interest in mind. He doesn’t.

I can’t agree with you Slimm this time. As a medical professional (Former paramedic now an RN) , I’ve seen many concussions and head injuries. You’re telling me these guys that fight in the MMA, and other players who have suffered concussions far worse than Tua in football should just hang it up? Time heals all wounds which is why they have a protocol in place. I know you just don’t like seeing Tua in a Dolphins uniform, but his concussions are no more different than anyone else’s that have experienced them in professional sports.

The big mistake was playing Tua against Cincy.

Had he been allowed to fully recover from the "back injury" he suffered against Buffalo he would probably be fine now.

What is worrisome is the hit he took against Green Bay was not very violent and it has put him on the shelf for over two weeks now.

They are not going to beat Buffalo with or without Tua so he should absolutely not play again until next September.

The oline is good enough imo. Can it get better, sure, but at the beginning of the season many asked for just an average oline this year and I think that is what we have. Good enough to let the QB and WRs do their business.

Quarterbacks will always get hit no matter how skilled the offensive line so eventually adding more resources to the oline becomes an act of diminishing returns. Better to focus priority resources on weaker parts of the squad like corner back or now... quarterback.

I agree with Slimm on the head injury. Those types of injuries just don't heal back to 100%. The repeated concussions are not a lot different than TBIs from bomb explosions. Eventually the brain just gets too fragile.

The Green Bay hit was not a big hit. Hell, even the Bills hit wasn't that bad. I think his body has experienced all it can.

At this point we really need to look for a future QB. Tua may play next season (and agree again with Slimm that if I were family, I would ask him to hand up the cleats) but even if he plays in 2023 I don't think he will be long for the league due to health concerns.

Tua is receiving repeated head trauma on routine tackles. Not violent collisions. This is because the damage is already done and cannot be reversed. His brain is telling him it can’t continue
This is the most telling part. But I wonder if a whole year off would help? Get brady in for one year

Looking at what I feel we need to do to keep Tua healthy , Protect him, with the now limited draft capitol , there does appear to be some potential if we can get close to them to consider , also looking at another big D lineman in case we can’t sign Wilkins, then more corners , we may be able to find another Kader .
I don’t see any way we can beat the Bills with out Tua. 😢
these 5 players I would like

View attachment 127147
Let me know what you all think of these players.View attachment 127145
Need some RBs as I believe all of ours are Free Agents

I think that's been the general belief tho the line circulating now from supposed "expert sources" is that a prior concussion does not make you more susceptible. Of course this does NOT address the cumulative effect of multiple concussions and the consequences...

Bottom line the safest thing for any of these players, HS, College or PROs is to NOT play the game. So there's a bit of hypocrisy in this entire subject IMO.

I don’t make that call. Those decisions are left up to parents and families to make. Not football coaches.

It’s interesting because although I’m not actively coaching anymore and only consult when needed - I’m still AHSAA certified. Which you have to be in order to work hands on with student athletes in the state of Alabama.

Part of that certification is being certified in CPR and AED. There are ambulances and EMT on standby at the games on Friday nights in case of a situation just like the one millions of people saw take place with Damar Hamlin.

But you don’t have ambulances on standby during practice. You as the coach may be the first responder for a player in a potential situation where you have to administer life saving techniques until EMT’s arrive.

When I played, we knew nothing about head injuries and brain trauma. I’ve learned more in the past 3 years about it through keeping my AHSAA certifications than I did in the previous 30 years of coaching. Everyone has.

Tua is receiving repeated head trauma on routine tackles. Not violent collisions. This is because the damage is already done and cannot be reversed. His brain is telling him it can’t continue.

This is an extremely difficult realization for players to come to. Especially when football is all you know. And especially when you’re cashing 6 figure paychecks weekly.

A lot of players don’t have people around them that can point them in the right direction. Some do. Which is why you see players like Andrew Luck walk away. It’s just not worth it. He wasn’t even dealing with the seriousness of what Tua faces.

The knowledge gained is why you see so many players now retire at 10 years in the league compared to years past. As soon as they can get vested - they’re out. They now know what I know.

Nobody in the dolphins organization gives a **** about Tua. All they care about is what he can do for them.

My hope is that someone who genuinely cares about him can get through to him. He’ll die on the football field if it means not feeling like he let anyone in his family down. That is exactly what has me worried for Tua. I know his family.

Years down the road, football will not be important to him. Being able to remember his child’s name will be important to him.

I’m just saying I hope someone somewhere has Tua’s best interest in mind. He doesn’t.
Explain Jaelan Phillips then. He had concussions early in his college career but has been fine for at least three seasons now and he plays a position where violent contact is more prevalent.

Explain Jaelan Phillips then. He had concussions early in his college career but has been fine for at least three seasons now and he plays a position where violent contact is more prevalent.

Jaelan Phillips retired from football due to concussions. UCLA medical staff had a policy that players could no longer play after suffering 4 concussions. They suggested Phillips retire after suffering his 3rd.

Every situation is different. If Tua is passionate enough about playing football and wants to keep sustaining concussions, that’s up to him. There is no policy in place to stop him like there was at UCLA for Phillips.

But there’s nothing anybody can do to protect Tua now.

He’s had 3 at minimum. Anyone who pretends to believe the first one was a back injury because Tua said so knows better.

Stick to football, cause you’re terrible at the medical stuff.

For someone that reviews so much video (allegedly), you clearly didn’t review that BUF game cause Tua most certainly did injure his lower back. The play is there for all to see.

Late in Q1 he was bent backward in a goal line pile up. When he rolled off another player, he clearly grabs at his lower back and doesn’t get up quickly.

Then a quarter later lands very hard on the same area due to the hit.

But somehow a weekend warrior doctor like you that never evaluated the player just knows for certain that he had a concussion. Despite multiple doctors — including an independent physician — stating that he did not. Good, great, grand, wonderful.

Must be nice to know nothing but believe you know everything.

Like I said, you need to stick to player evaluations and leave the medical stuff to the adults.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom