two words for OGun !!!!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

two words for OGun !!!!!!

Come on...the guy led the AFC in sacks last year and made $375K...now that sounds like a lot of money to you and me, but you've got to consider a few things:
1) His career could end tomorrow, in which case the money he has saved would probably be gone by the time he is 50, if he is frugal and invests well
2) He has worked hard, been a heck of a performer, and gotten paid little in return
3) Again, his paycheck looks like a lot to you and me but in terms of his peers -most of whom he outperformed last year -he has gotten screwed.
Add to all this the bad advice he has received from Rosenhaus and you get the current situation.
I'm not saying it's right but from his perspective, this season is really up for grabs. It's a layup he will get rewarded in 2005, either from the Fins or from another team. Given what other guys are getting paid vs. what the Fins are offering him this season, the Fins are definitely the party which are making out. In fact, if the NFL were an open market where any player could be signed at any price at any time, you could make the case that the Dolphins have made out for at least the last two seasons at least. This season, at the very least, I think it would be a good faith sign for the Fins to pay up a little -
That being said, if Ogun does hold out I would be really interested to see how his replacements and our defense as a unit perform

Besides, Pat Tillman isn't the standard, he's the mold-breaker...what he did was outstanding, and no one else in the NFL followed suit (not just Ogun!)

Finfan80 said:
Come on...the guy led the AFC in sacks last year and made $375K...now that sounds like a lot of money to you and me, but you've got to consider a few things:
1) His career could end tomorrow, in which case the money he has saved would probably be gone by the time he is 50, if he is frugal and invests well
2) He has worked hard, been a heck of a performer, and gotten paid little in return
3) Again, his paycheck looks like a lot to you and me but in terms of his peers -most of whom he outperformed last year -he has gotten screwed.
Add to all this the bad advice he has received from Rosenhaus and you get the current situation.
I'm not saying it's right but from his perspective, this season is really up for grabs. It's a layup he will get rewarded in 2005, either from the Fins or from another team. Given what other guys are getting paid vs. what the Fins are offering him this season, the Fins are definitely the party which are making out. In fact, if the NFL were an open market where any player could be signed at any price at any time, you could make the case that the Dolphins have made out for at least the last two seasons at least. This season, at the very least, I think it would be a good faith sign for the Fins to pay up a little -
That being said, if Ogun does hold out I would be really interested to see how his replacements and our defense as a unit perform

BULLSCHIDT !!

The guy GAVE HIS life !! Please do not ever compare THAT to what these greedy bastards want/do today! Not even a close subject! period, end of subject!

I sincerely hope we pay Ogun, but I can't help but feel kinda dissapointed in all the drame he/his agent have created.

Why do people compare Pat Tillman to Ogun, or Manning, or any other football player involved in financial disputes?

What what happened to Tillman was no different than what happened 700 plus other brave Americans and what 100's of thousands of Americans are willing to suffer.

To compare these men and women to football players making financial decisions is to denigrate their sacrifice.

Off soap box now.

Texphinphan

Tex,

Thank you for saying what I was about to say. Pat Tillman is a hero, but he is one of many heroes who have fought and died for this country. To forget them is to spit on the legacy that Tillman wanted to leave.

"BULLSCHIDT !!

The guy GAVE HIS life !! Please do not ever compare THAT to what these greedy bastards want/do today! Not even a close subject! period, end of subject!"

Umm, okay, why don't we cut JT? Sam Madison? Zach? Ricky? Why doesn't NE cut Brady? None of them followed Tillman's lead, all of them stand to make a bundle over the next few years (or are already making a bundle)
If you read what I wrote, you'll see that I'm not comparing Ogun to Tillman, which is a fairly senseless thing to do. NO ONE in the NFL aside from Tillman did what Tillman did, that's part of what made Tillman Tillman. Comparison to him -or saying we should cut someone who is seeking a better deal because Pat turned it down -is fairly senseless

No one here is trying to overlook what Ogun did for the 'Phins last year. The contract that is being offered is IAW the CBA. He is getting what he deserves IAW the CBA!

The funny thing about all of this is that he WANTS to be paid what he thinks he is worth. Hmmmmmm - didn't 31 other teams have a shot to sign him to an offer sheet for only a 1st and 3rd?

HE HAD ZERO SUITORS!

Do those other 31 teams see something that he does not see?

Just a little reality and perspective on Ogun!

80, there is no comparing what Mr. Tillman did with what Ogun has done. That is ridiculous.

Without rebutting what Ogun has done, take a look at what the Fins have done. They paid him to rehab from a college injury. They let him come back slowly until it was his turn to start. He has done well, no doubt. Then the Fins tendered him with the highest offer they could, because those are the rules with which the CBA dictates. These rules are what make football what it is compared to the other pro leagues. They are in place to protect the teams, players and us fans. Ogun wants to circumvent this structure because of his situation. He has a choice. His super-dandy agent can get him several other offers, right (I believe that is what Drew said a few weeks ago). The FO has done nothing wrong to Ogun, after all he was offered 485% increase in salary. Would you complain about that ?? This is just posturing that Ogun is trying to do make the FO move faster, but they don't have to and can't afford to move on him until the June 1 FAs are looked at and obviously some restructuring of contracts are done to accomodate the entire team, not just him. It makes me sick to read all this boo-hooing about a guy turning down a 485% increase. (And if he is so worried about injury, sign the contract and take out insurance to protect himself for this year...it's done all the time). He needs to wake up and play by the guidelines the rest of league is playing by. But he can hold out, because that his one of his options. But if he holds out, he hurts his own stock, he hurts his teammates, and he hurts the team, and he hurts me,a fan, because I want to see the Fins do well and he is a part of that. I started out trying not to be negative, but the whole situation makes me ill right now, because of his greed, and I am not talking about money greed....

LarryFinFan said:
Then the Fins tendered him with the highest offer they could, because those are the rules with which the CBA dictates.

This is just plain inaccruate. The Fins could have made any offer to Wale they wanted at any time. What they did was tender him at the level required to get RFA status with 1/3 compensation. If they wanted to sign him to a 5 year, $25 contract, nothing would have stopped them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two more words for Ogun:

Franchise Tag

Cuz that's what he's getting from here on out. We should lock up every other player to long term deals then punish this guy if he's stupid enough to play just the six games for 400k.

There's no way we're going to trade him for anything under market value (at least a number one) and the guy has no leverage. He thinks that his leverage is that he'll just play out his six games and then he's free, but we'll slap the tag on him and he'll kiss goodbye the 1.5 million he could have made this year.

One more thing: Someone pointed out on this board that Ogun, if he sits out ten games could really hurt himself if his replacement comes in and performs as well (ie Jay Williams gets 8-10 sacks). If this is the case and we do not activate Ogunleye for the final six games of the season, does he still remain a restricted or does he indeed get the Unrestricted status? Anyone have an answer please respond to this post...

Back
Top Bottom