UCF Nation's Mock Draft: Part Two | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UCF Nation's Mock Draft: Part Two

UCF Nation

Active Roster
Reaction score
Free Agency: Greg Jennings, Reggie Bush, Brain Hartline, Randy Starks, Jared Cook, & Sean Smith.

2013 NFL Draft:

1) Corradelle Patterson, WR TENN- Talented, raw prospect that is worth the first round pick. With some grooming from Greg Jennings, he can be the franchise receiver for years to come.
2-a) Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington- Shut down corner Miami needs to run opposite of Sean Smith. With our pathetic secondary, Trufant is a big body who can contribute from day one.
2-b) Alex Okafor, DE, Texas- Great prospect that can be put in as DE depth with Cameron Wake and Oliver Vernon.
3-a) Stedman Bailey,WR, WVU- Keyword: Explosive. He is my man crush for the 2013 draft. Look up his highlights, and you will see why.
3-b) Brennan Williams, OT, North Carolina-Great right tackle that can replace Martin as he shifts to the left. He has had injury issues but I see him being a great value pick if he remains healthy.
4) Jordan Reed, TE, Florida- Seam-threat TE out team needs to run with Jared Cook. His blocking is an issue, but he reminds me alot of Aaron Hernandez (which I personally believe will be his role if he came to Miami, anyway.)
5) EJ Manuel, QB, FSU- Back-up to Tannehill in case of injury. He has interesting mechanics and could even be flipped for a pick down the line if he turns out to be a potential starter in the NFL for teams that desperately need a QB.
6) Brandon Bishop, FS, N.C. State- Secondary depth, just taking the best body on the board at this point. I may change this to a RB pick if Bush is not resigned.
7) Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida- Dan the Man's replacement. Carpenter needs to go. Miami could have been in the play-offs if this guy had done his job this season, not worth the 3 Million+ a season to miss field goals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice and would definitely add explosive players (Patterson, Bailey, Reed) to the Dolphins offense. Trufant probably ends up in R1, but man would I love to have him. I think with the ball in the air he's the best cb out there. Not as complete as some of the bigger, physical guys, but a playmaker.

Trufant, could be gone in the first. And I would think Bailey will be picked before the 3rd.

Unrealistic draft imo. Miami has shown throughout the years that they just don't draft WR in the 1st unless your name is Ted Ginn. Ireland himself has said several times that the 1st and 2nd round picks should be immediate starters. If we resign Hartline, sign Jennings, and draft a very raw Patterson he wouldn't start. It'll be Jennings, Hartline, and Bess as they usually don't call 4+ receivers plays. Trufant has moved into the 1st and I think he should be our pick, but not at 12. Okafor is in the late 1st-early 2nd slot. Like ThrowDaTD said, Bailey will be picked before the 3rd. Williams is underrated, Reed is going in the 3rd, Manuel too, and we have to 7ths.
possibly trading down picking up extra 3rd
1. Desmond Trufant CB
2. Datone Jones DE
2. Stedman Bailey WR
3. Brennan Williams OT
3. Bacarri Rambo S
3. Leon McFadden CB
4. Brian Winters OG
5. Josh Boyce WR
7. Joe Vallano DT
7. Caleb Sturgis K

I hate this idea. There is a such thing as TOO MUCH receiver depth. You want us to invest alot of money into 2 ufa and on top of that draft 2 wr with our first. 4 picks.

Patterson is too much of a risk at our spot and id rather get a different wr in the 2nd or 3rd.

what I would really like for us to do is trade our first if a stud DE isn't there and draft eifort with a pick in the late first. Draft baily 2b and get a CB with ouer first second rounder.

Why nobody is targetting LB depth is beyond me...what if Dansby or Burnett go down?

Unrealistic draft imo. Miami has shown throughout the years that they just don't draft WR in the 1st unless your name is Ted Ginn. Ireland himself has said several times that the 1st and 2nd round picks should be immediate starters. If we resign Hartline, sign Jennings, and draft a very raw Patterson he wouldn't start. It'll be Jennings, Hartline, and Bess as they usually don't call 4+ receivers plays. Trufant has moved into the 1st and I think he should be our pick, but not at 12. Okafor is in the late 1st-early 2nd slot. Like ThrowDaTD said, Bailey will be picked before the 3rd. Williams is underrated, Reed is going in the 3rd, Manuel too, and we have to 7ths.
1. Desmond Trufant CB
2. Datone Jones DE
2. Stedman Bailey WR
3. Brennan Williams OT
3. Bacarri Rambo S
3. Leon McFadden CB
4. Brian Winters OG
5. Josh Boyce WR
7. Joe Vallano DT
7. Caleb Sturgis K

your mock is much more realistic although williams in round 3 may be a stretch...

Interesting that Caleb Sturgis is becoming a popular idea.

I'm glad that mocks are taking account of FA first because it would be useless to speculate without that. I'm a little mixed though on just picking who we sign, re-sign, etc...because in many ways that can be out of your hands sometimes.

Like right now Sean Smith seems like he wants to leave town. If that's the case you've got to focus on Brent Grimes, Chris Houston, Cary Williams, Derek Cox or Keenan Lewis...most likely. Since Jeff Ireland likes big corners he'd probably steer toward Cary Williams or Keenan Lewis...maybe Derek Cox. But do any of those guys even want to come to Miami? I would love to give Shawntae Spencer a sniff as a value free agent, incidentally.

Who knows what is going on with Randy Starks. I'd love to have him back. Jake Long is hard to figure out too. Reggie Bush isn't going to be back whether we want him to be or not. Nor Anthony Fasano or Tony McDaniel. And Richard Marshall is likely to be cut.

I consider the Dolphins to have $43 million to play around with, after Marshall is cut and setting aside money for draft picks. I think we've got out hands on price of admission for Sean Smith and Jake Long. Total of $17 million for those two together. I can't help but think you can get Randy Starks back for $6 million, and I'd be surprised if you had to pay much more than $7 million for Greg Jennings. So slap those two together at $14 million total. You've still got $12 million to play around with but you've also got holes. You grab Antwaan Barnes, Shawntae Spencer and Mike Goodson for a total of about $5 million...just some value guys that make sense to me. With the remaining $7 million you could look at trying to pull in both Kenny Phillips and Martellus Bennett from the Giants. If you need a little bit more money, you can easily massage some of these first year numbers. In fact, all told you'd probably have about $3 million left over from all this to work with for emergency situations.

That leaves you with significant openings at WR and CB, but leaves you with some "wants" at RB, OG, QB, DE, LB and K. With that in mind, you can take:

R01. WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
R2A. DE Cornellius "Tank" Carridine, Florida State
R2B. CB Robert Alford, Southeastern Louisiana
R3A. OG Brian Winters, Kent State
R3B. RB Christine Michael, Texas A&M
R4A. OT Terron Armstead, Arkansas-Pine Bluff
R4B. DE Devin Taylor, South Carolina*
R05. TE Joseph Fauria, UCLA
R7A. LB Vince Williams, Florida State
R7B. CB Kayvon Webster, South Florida

*Compensatory Selection

UDFA: QB Nick Florence (Baylor), RB Dennis Johnson (Arkansas), WR Jheranie Boyd (North Carolina), WR Chad Bumphis (Mississippi State), TE Justice Cunningham (South Carolina), OC James Ferentz (Iowa), G/T Mark Popek (South Florida), DE Damion Square (Alabama), LB Jake Knott (Iowa State), CB D.J. Hayden (Houston), K Brett Baer (Louisiana-Lafayette)

That's just one way of going about your business, I suppose.

edit

I'm thinking we lose some of our higher priced FA but replace them with some of the ones mentioned above with the exception of Long and Starks, I don't think we'll find their replacements in Fa.

1 wr Paterson
2 cb Rhodes
2 ot Watson
3 de kruger
3 dt Brandon Williams
4 de Gholston

Thats about as for as my board goes thus far lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Desmond Trufant CB
2. Datone Jones DE
2. Stedman Bailey WR
3. Brennan Williams OT
3. Bacarri Rambo S
3. Leon McFadden CB
4. Brian Winters OG
5. Josh Boyce WR
7. Joe Vallano DT
7. Caleb Sturgis K

That is mediocrity / 7-9 /8-8 / average-ness at it's finest. Jennings (who I like, but is older), Hartline (Mr. 1 TD and no YAC), and Bess (No speed, No YAC)....really?

You want to trot this out on the field in 2013 as our WR's? I hope not. We need more than one playmaker, besides Jennings, where are your playmakers?

Interesting that Caleb Sturgis is becoming a popular idea.I'm glad that mocks are taking account of FA first because it would be useless to speculate without that. I'm a little mixed though on just picking who we sign, re-sign, etc...because in many ways that can be out of your hands sometimes.Like right now Sean Smith seems like he wants to leave town. If that's the case you've got to focus on Brent Grimes, Chris Houston, Cary Williams, Derek Cox or Keenan Lewis...most likely. Since Jeff Ireland likes big corners he'd probably steer toward Cary Williams or Keenan Lewis...maybe Derek Cox. But do any of those guys even want to come to Miami? I would love to give Shawntae Spencer a sniff as a value free agent, incidentally.Who knows what is going on with Randy Starks. I'd love to have him back. Jake Long is hard to figure out too. Reggie Bush isn't going to be back whether we want him to be or not. Nor Anthony Fasano or Tony McDaniel. And Richard Marshall is likely to be cut.I consider the Dolphins to have $43 million to play around with, after Marshall is cut and setting aside money for draft picks. I think we've got out hands on price of admission for Sean Smith and Jake Long. Total of $17 million for those two together. I can't help but think you can get Randy Starks back for $6 million, and I'd be surprised if you had to pay much more than $7 million for Greg Jennings. So slap those two together at $14 million total. You've still got $12 million to play around with but you've also got holes. You grab Antwaan Barnes, Shawntae Spencer and Mike Goodson for a total of about $5 million...just some value guys that make sense to me. With the remaining $7 million you could look at trying to pull in both Kenny Phillips and Martellus Bennett from the Giants. If you need a little bit more money, you can easily massage some of these first year numbers. In fact, all told you'd probably have about $3 million left over from all this to work with for emergency situations.That leaves you with significant openings at WR and CB, but leaves you with some "wants" at RB, OG, QB, DE, LB and K. With that in mind, you can take:R01. WR Cordarrelle Patterson, TennesseeR2A. DE Cornellius "Tank" Carridine, Florida StateR2B. CB Robert Alford, Southeastern LouisianaR3A. OG Brian Winters, Kent StateR3B. RB Christine Michael, Texas A&MR4A. OT Terron Armstead, Arkansas-Pine BluffR4B. DE Devin Taylor, South Carolina*R05. TE Joseph Fauria, UCLAR7A. LB Vince Williams, Florida StateR7B. CB Kayvon Webster, South Florida*Compensatory SelectionUDFA: QB Nick Florence (Baylor), RB Dennis Johnson (Arkansas), WR Jheranie Boyd (North Carolina), WR Chad Bumphis (Mississippi State), TE Justice Cunningham (South Carolina), OC James Ferentz (Iowa), G/T Mark Popek (South Florida), DE Damion Square (Alabama), LB Jake Knott (Iowa State), CB D.J. Hayden (Houston), K Brett Baer (Louisiana-Lafayette)That's just one way of going about your business, I suppose.
Yo CK... for some reason i remember you mentioning jake knott for us in the fourth round. It was quite awhile ago, clear back when we were still talking about having a shot at bjoern werner.... why have you soured on him now to the point of udfa???

you know what i agree the defense fine fix offense this yr.. one wr and we are still in same boat as last yr

Yo CK... for some reason i remember you mentioning jake knott for us in the fourth round. It was quite awhile ago, clear back when we were still talking about having a shot at bjoern werner.... why have you soured on him now to the point of udfa???

I haven't soured on him at all but the NFL may be uncomfortable with his injury situation.

I haven't soured on him at all but the NFL may be uncomfortable with his injury situation.

I must need to do some reading. My recollection is that he played with shoulder issues for 2 years, and playes well. I remember him being
Defensive player of the week a few times. I was thinking he shut it down in october and opted for surgery than to be ready for the combine.

Back
Top Bottom