Vic Fangio Defensive Breakdown: Diving Into the Go-To Calls in Passing Situations | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vic Fangio Defensive Breakdown: Diving Into the Go-To Calls in Passing Situations

This post begs the question. If one of these DC's are hired, who currently fits on the roster and what type of players are needed?

Well I think the two that would most likely see much reduced snap counts or gone entirely, are Raekwon Davis and Elandon Roberts. Fangio in the past operates mostly out of 4-2-5 fronts, and I don’t see Sieler and Wilkins getting off the field much in the interior. Roberts stayed on the roster for his familiarity with the past defenses, now he isn’t familiar, isn’t very athletic, overruns his gaps, and can’t really cover at all. I think there’s a small chance he’d be back.

In terms of additions, I think they’d want to get another Safety that has experience in split field coverages (Poyer?), Fangio runs a good amount of both Big Nickel (replacing the nickel corner with another safety) and Dime. Similar to what Fangio did with Sterns at Denver, I could see him utilizing Brandon Jones in that big nickel role as well as a Dime LBER and having Holland and a FA signing playing the split safety roles.

They could use another boundary corner opposite of X, and though I have liked Trill Williams since Syracuse, it’s hard to go into TC with him as plan A.

Well I think the two that would most likely see much reduced snap counts or gone entirely, are Raekwon Davis and Elandon Roberts. Fangio in the past operates mostly out of 4-2-5 fronts, and I don’t see Sieler and Wilkins getting off the field much in the interior. Roberts stayed on the roster for his familiarity with the past defenses, now he isn’t familiar, isn’t very athletic, overruns his gaps, and can’t really cover at all. I think there’s a small chance he’d be back.

In terms of additions, I think they’d want to get another Safety that has experience in split field coverages (Poyer?), Fangio runs a good amount of both Big Nickel (replacing the nickel corner with another safety) and Dime. Similar to what Fangio did with Sterns at Denver, I could see him utilizing Brandon Jones in that big nickel role as well as a Dime LBER and having Holland and a FA signing playing the split safety roles.

They could use another boundary corner opposite of X, and though I have liked Trill Williams since Syracuse, it’s hard to go into TC with him as plan A.
Thanks. I'm also wondering if Fangio uses a traditional MLB, or or more of the athletic type (Baker) in the two linebacker usage?

In other words, do the Dolphins need to draft a MLB or maybe a third safety makes more sense?

I only got to read the first blurb on C8. But super educational, loved the vibe on the weak side S read and when to robber.

Can't wait this evening to read more.

Thanks. I'm also wondering if Fangio uses a traditional MLB, or or more of the athletic type (Baker) in the two linebacker usage?

In other words, do the Dolphins need to draft a MLB or maybe a third safety makes more sense?

You know I think he’d prefer LBs can help him in the pass game first and foremost, so I’d say athleticism and range is probably what he’d go after, but he’s also had success with Josey Jewell getting a lot of snaps, so I think he can utilize what he’s given and maximize them. As much hate as Duke Riley gets, he does have range in pass defense and I think he’d get brought back.

In terms of run defense, rather than a LBER that can blow up a run gap, he’d look more for someone that can read leverage well and see how an offense is trying to block him. Fangios LBs are taught to play stack-track-fallback in the run game. They stack their primary gap and they don’t shoot it, but they wait for the RB to declare his angle, and then track the ball carrier and ball fit to where the RB is trying to go, if a DT crosses your face, you fallback into the gap behind them

CMD?

Is this defense revolve around our Dline the most ?

What position group is the most important and could you describe the skillsets we’re looking for in those groups/players IF Fangio signs with us?
I would say that it's more focused on the back 7 defenders. It lets the front 4 get pressure without blitzing and focuses on making the QB hold the ball for an extra beat.

Fangio doesn’t use blitzing that often, so I would think the base lineman would have to create the pressure themselves. I thought the whole purpose of blitzing in Boyers schemes the last 2 years was that they didn‘t generate enough pressure in their base sets?

This post begs the question. If one of these DC's are hired, who currently fits on the roster and what type of players are needed?
It appears the MLB would have to be able to cover in the pass game. I don’t know if they presently have an ILB on the roster who could provide that coverage on a consistent basis.

Perhaps Tindall can develop into that LB but Baker hasn’t shown good cover skills since he’s been with the Dolphins.

Great post.

The cover-8 scheme looks like it would be a great pairing with our personnel.

Chubb-Seiler-Wilkins-Phillips, Ogbah coming back from injury, try to re-sign AVG, look for another edge in the draft.

Baker, Tindall, re-sign Riley and Roberts. FA target would be Leighton Vander Esch if we move on from Roberts/Riley.

Howard playing the vertical, Jones in the cover 2 role, with Kohou. Look for a vet DB, Dean from Tampa would be my target.

Holland, Jones, either a vet FA or draft another safety. At the same time, we could end the Noah experiment at corner and put him at safety, still going to pound the table for this option before ultimately cutting him lol.

Last edited:
CMD?

Is this defense revolve around our Dline the most ?

What position group is the most important and could you describe the skillsets we’re looking for in those groups/players IF Fangio signs with us?

Well it’s certainly a marriage of the two, but I’d say the secondary is what makes Fangio’s defense tick. Communication and awareness are key.

Fangio’s defense makes it easier for them to play from the roof and giving them leverage over the top, but any coverage busts can be so detrimental to this type of defense.

Back
Top Bottom