Vick gets 2nd chance, Vick's dogs do not. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vick gets 2nd chance, Vick's dogs do not.

Forgot about that, your right he shouldn't be allowed to play either!

As a father of 2 sons I am their role model also. I am involved 100% in their lives. I have a business suffering in today's economy, I send them to private school and had to stock shelves at night last year to afford it. If I went to prison for several years for dog fighting, my family would have lost everything. I understand that so I don't do things that could harm my family or my life. These athletes are people too I agree, but they are also celebrities which bring big money and the spotlight. If they can't handle it goodriddens. They are blessed with a gift which most of us can't do, if they don't appreciate it so be it.

Most celebrities criminal sentences are ridiculous in the first place due to their popularity.

I can almost understand a guy who didn't have two nickels to rub together, and was homeless, and then resulted to stealing or drug dealing, but for a guy like Vick with a $100m+ contract to be involved in crime at all can't be excused, and then for the crime to be the torture of man's best friend...that is just 100% UNFORGIVABLE!!!

Again, did Vick give those dogs who lost fights a 2nd chance? Did he show them any mercy?

Nobody wants to deny Vick a 2nd chance at life and an ordinary job for which he might be qualified (construction?).

We're just saying he doesn't deserve a 2nd chance at the priveledge of playing in the NFL.

Just as if I had done what he did, I would not get a 2nd chance at my career which requires licensing and being held to a higher ethical standard. Nope, I would be out looking for blue collar work right now.

Ya think Bernie Madoff is going to get a 2nd chance to sell stocks?

P.S. What do you like so much about Vick to support him?
Give them a 2nd chance? Nope. Perhaps if he was torturing humans instead of dogs, I might resent him as much as you do...

And why doesn't he deserve a 2nd chance at playing in the NFL? Maybe if he commited a more serious crime, I'd say no more NFL for you. But for fighting dogs, 2 years out of the NFL, serving jailtime, and losing millions and going bankrupt, yes he deserves a 2nd chance.

I don't like Vick at all. But as far as I'm concerned, he's payed for his crimes, and deserves a 2nd chance.

I can almost understand a guy who didn't have two nickels to run together and was homeless and then resulted to stealing or drug dealing but for a guy like Vick with a $100m+ contract to be involved in crime, and then for the crime to be the torture of man's best friend...that is just 100% UNFORGIVABLE!!!

Agreed,

But I don't limit it just to Vick. It's all these thugs or thug wannabe's that think and sometimes are above the law (Money=great defense attorney or popularity) which helps their sentence.

It's time as a society we start saying there are taboo's out there. Seriously, did ya think it was okay to do this or that.

It hinders our family role models in society, the players like (just throwing one out there) Jason Taylor has a family, wife, kids...develops charities, people don't realize the world immortalizes (Not saying me personally) certain players, for instance when we played in London. The enormous blimp like figure of him they had in London.

Ofcourse you get the people with the I am 100% in control of my kids role models, yadda yadda garbage. My parents were mine but I also looked up to certain players, Marino, Montana, etc. etc.

Give them a 2nd chance? Nope. Perhaps if he was torturing humans instead of dogs, I might resent him as much as you do...

And why doesn't he deserve a 2nd chance at playing in the NFL? Maybe if he commited a more serious crime, I'd say no more NFL for you. But for fighting dogs, 2 years out of the NFL, serving jailtime, and losing millions and going bankrupt, yes he deserves a 2nd chance.

I don't like Vick at all. But as far as I'm concerned, he's payed for his crimes, and deserves a 2nd chance.

If you don't like him, then why support his 2nd chance in the PRIVATE NFL?

If he was a lawyer, he would have been disbarred for life.

If he was a doctor, he would have lost his medical license for life.

If he was a stock broker, he would have lost his securities license for life (see SEC taking away Bernie Madoff's license for life even before prison sentence was handed down).

Vick maybe deserves a 2nd chance at construction jobs but a 2nd chance to be cheered on by millions of NFL fans....why? What has he done to earn that 2nd chance?

Again, let's recall that he was not only "fighting dogs". Court records show that he admitted to PERSONALLY killing dogs by drowning them, hanging them from trees, electrocuting them, slamming them to the ground, and shooting them. He was also witnessed all over that area being involved in every aspect of the horrors including "adopting" strays (about a dozen emaciated Beagles and mixed breeds were also found on the property in the raid) and he was using those dogs as practice for the Pit Bulls. Mike Vick showed his dogs NO MERCY!!! NO 2ND CHANCES!!!

Are you aware of all this?

Agreed,

But I don't limit it just to Vick. It's all these thugs or thug wannabe's that think and sometimes are above the law (Money=great defense attorney or popularity) which helps their sentence.

It's time as a society we start saying there are taboo's out there. Seriously, did ya think it was okay to do this or that.

It hinders our family role models in society, the players like (just throwing one out there) Jason Taylor has a family, wife, kids...develops charities, people don't realize the world immortalizes (Not saying me personally) certain players, for instance when we played in London. The enormous blimp like figure of him they had in London.

Ofcourse you get the people with the I am 100% in control of my kids role models, yadda yadda garbage. My parents were mine but I also looked up to certain players, Marino, Montana, etc. etc.

Exactly why the NFL has a responsibility to draw a line at the Vicks, Pacmans, Stallworths and Leonard Littles of the word. (OJ should also be removed from the HOF.)

Of course parents should have most, if not all, of this role-model-responsibility but the NFL sure has their hands out when the money from millions of fans rolls in so they also have to take responsibility for fan adoration of these players - even if the players don't want to be held to the standard of role models. If they don't want to be held to higher ethical standards of role models, then fine - stick to your construction job Mike Vick!!!

Exactly why the NFL has a responsibility to draw a line at the Vicks, Pacmans, Stallworths and Leonard Littles of the word. (OJ should also be removed from the HOF.)

Of course parents should have most, if not all, of this role-model-responsibility but the NFL sure has their hands out when the money from millions of fans rolls in so they also have to take responsibility for fan adoration of these players - even if the players don't want to be held to the standard of role models. If they don't want to be held to higher ethical standards of role models, then fine - stick to your construction job Mike Vick!!!

It sounds like a lot of people are using Vick as an example for how screwed up things are.

Vick committed a cirmes, did his jail time and lost everything...people say he shouldn't get a second chance because doctors, lawyers and such wouldn't....the problem with this is these professionals usually are highly intelligent people. If they had chosen another profession they probbaly would have succeeded at that too. But your intelligence level may get you any job you want, it doesn't mean you can run a 4.3 40 or throw a football 65 yards....If Vick were some sub level player that had done this, he probbaly would have gotten a lifetime ban. But he's not, he's a rare physical freak. That is why he gets a second chance....

I don't agree with it, but it's the way it is. The guys who are thebest at what they do ALWAYS get special treatment. The best doctors and lawyers make the money to pay high priced lawyers and get special treatment when they get in trouble.

As much as I disagree with it, thats just the way things are and you can't blast Vick for benefitting from the same things his peers do also.

I don't work with construction but what is the deal with your hatred for construction workers? :lol:

It sounds like a lot of people are using Vick as an example for how screwed up things are.

Vick committed a cirmes, did his jail time and lost everything...people say he shouldn't get a second chance because doctors, lawyers and such wouldn't....the problem with this is these professionals usually are highly intelligent people. If they had chosen another profession they probbaly would have succeeded at that too. But your intelligence level may get you any job you want, it doesn't mean you can run a 4.3 40 or throw a football 65 yards....If Vick were some sub level player that had done this, he probbaly would have gotten a lifetime ban. But he's not, he's a rare physical freak. That is why he gets a second chance....

I don't agree with it, but it's the way it is. The guys who are thebest at what they do ALWAYS get special treatment. The best doctors and lawyers make the money to pay high priced lawyers and get special treatment when they get in trouble.

As much as I disagree with it, thats just the way things are and you can't blast Vick for benefitting from the same things his peers do also.

Not so - let's compare Vick to ponzi scheme king swindler Bernard Madoff. He was ultra talented and respected in his field (almost thought of as a Michael Vick of the securities trading world) and when he got busted, his securities license was revoked by the SEC for life!

It didn't end up mattering anyway since he got 150 years in jail but the point is that just b/c you're an exceptional talent in securities, law, or medicine, does not mean you would be treated any differently by the SEC, Bar or Medical Board.

There really is no good reason for a PRIVATE EMPLOYER like the NFL to allow this piece of garbage back in their company other than trying to avoid this issue becoming a race issue with idiots like TO and Ochocinco and others having their race cards in-hand ready to be thrown down.

Again, I think Goddell is caving into the fear of looking like the mean white man trying to keep the black man down. But obviously, this isn't black vs. white. It was man vs. K9 and it's about a man who doesn't deserve a 2nd chance AT THE NFL.

Black people who support Vick are no different than blacks who cheered when OJ was found "innocent". This kind of support is a disgrace.

As I said before; Mike Vick aint no Medgar Evers!

The funny part is the majority of folks that have lost their job the pas yr or so....they were white collar workers...a lot of blue collar folks are still working....mechanics, electricians, plumbers....job like this, reguardless of how bad the economy gets these guys are still in demand.

I don't work with construction but what is the deal with your hatred for construction workers? :lol:

Huh? I'm just referencing the fact that Vick was working construction - no disrespect. I have clients and friends who work construction. Just saying that Vick has that option as his "2nd chance". He also has the UFL and CFL. It's just the instant fame and fortune of the NFL for which he deserves no 2nd chance.

The funny part is the majority of folks that have lost their job the pas yr or so....they were white collar workers...a lot of blue collar folks are still working....mechanics, electricians, plumbers....job like this, reguardless of how bad the economy gets these guys are still in demand.

So plenty of work out there for Vick if the poor baby couldn't play in the NFL again.

Vick was convicted of gambling and racketeering....not stealing billions of dollars from people....

They are...Vick got his 2nd chance because he actually did more time than others who have done arguably worse crimes. When animals come into the arguement, people get more emotional. Goodell knows it may not be popular, but like other players...he has to give Vick a 2nd chance.

Goodell knows he deserves a 2nd chance, thats why he reinstated him. He left it up to the owners basically saying...."hey, if you want him, you can have him." Taking the whole thing out of his hands. It will be PR suicide to the team that picks him up, but a team most likely will give him a chance. I don't believe in any way it will be the Dolphins though.

Not just Vick, any player that is a current member of the NFL that convicts a Felony and is convicted should be barred from the league.

BAsed on what. They are playing a damn game. What is the reasoning that a felon should not be allowed to play in the nfl. This not the police department or a school teacher. He is of no danger to any person playing in the league.

So a felon should be barred from working at all or just jobs that dont make much money. I agree there are many jobs Vick should not be able to have but the NFL is definately not a job where it really matters. I dont get where people think that only the best of the best of scoiety are in the NFL.

So plenty of work out there for Vick if the poor baby couldn't play in the NFL again.

There is, but he will play in the NFL again. The precedent has already been set....felony crimes don't keep you out of the NFL. The commish can't ban Vick for life over gambling and racketeering when there are others playing with worse crimes.

Back
Top Bottom