Vikings / Pats Deal Analyzed | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vikings / Pats Deal Analyzed

qmar

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Everyone was gushing over the Vikings / Patriots deal saying that the Pats robbed Spielman and the Vikes. Here is the values:

29th pick: 640

52nd pick: 380
83rd pick: 175
102nd pick: 92
229th pick: 1
Total: 648

So 640 vs 648 is not a big deal. Love how Eisen and others started slobbering over Bellichek when he makes a deal. They moved back to the end of the 2nd from the end of the 1st. They better get a 3rd and 4th rounder thrown in. I don't think I would want the Dolphins to make that trade if I was sitting there at the end of the 1st and Patterson, Hunter, Robert Woods, and Keenan Allen are all still on the board.

I like the deal the vikes made. Trade mid round picks to grab elite talent. Their first three picks could pay off huge for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or does the trade value chart seem a bit outdated now. Not the concept so much but the values of each pick. Like with our trade the 3rd pick is 2200 and the two we gave in return only equal 1680. That's such a huge margin I feel the chart is no longer accurate.

Is it just me or does the trade value chart seem a bit outdated now. Not the concept so much but the values of each pick. Like with our trade the 3rd pick is 2200 and the two we gave in return only equal 1680. That's such a huge margin I feel the chart is no longer accurate.

The other trades that were made were very close to their chart value (within 5% or so).

I think this was more a case of the Raiders being dead set on one guy who they were confident would be there at #12 and taking the best offer available, and Miami really wanting to get a guy who they were confident would not be there at #3.

The only quibble I have with Minny's move is that they gave up their early 4th rather than their late 4th. Remember, they moved up practically a full round to get Patterson. In exchange Pats got the 21st pick of round 3 and 5th pick in round 4, plus a couple of makeweight 7ths (Minny had 4 or 5 of them).

The Vikes, with 3 picks at the bottom of the first, snagged Floyd (who Mayock had top 5), Rhodes (projected top 15) and Patterson (who fell because he clearly needs work, but who is - talent-wise, top 15 material). That's a pretty awesome day one. So they don't get to pick in Round 3. Whoopee. I'm sure the Pats will use it well, like they have done with the 137 other mid round picks they've accumulated under Belichick.

Patterson can be groomed by the coaches and Jennings and he'll straight away replace Harvin as PR/KR, which he is dynamite at. They'll use him out of the backfield and with screens and stuff until he builds his route knowledge. The kid isn't Einstein, but he's not Forrest Gump either.

If I was a Vikings fan, I would be pretty happy with my GM's work.

Pats only had 5 picks this year which is so unusual for them. Once your a perennial playoff team you can afford to make moves like this, but I like the aggressiveness of San Fran and ATL to go up and get their guy rather than the pats to sit back. Well see how it works out for them.

Patterson compares more favorably to Harvin than Austin does - to me. He can do everything that Harvin did, and he has the talent to develop into even more. That's not a knock on Austin - just that I thought that P. Harvin was a lazy comparison made by many.

The Vikings got (in my opinion) the 4th, the 10th, and the 8th best players in the draft. Think that's a great spot for Patterson, because initially, they can do with him all the things they did with Harvin. I don't care who they draft for the rest of the draft.

Patterson compares more favorably to Harvin than Austin does - to me. He can do everything that Harvin did, and he has the talent to develop into even more. That's not a knock on Austin - just that I thought that P. Harvin was a lazy comparison made by many.

The Vikings got (in my opinion) the 4th, the 10th, and the 8th best players in the draft. Think that's a great spot for Patterson, because initially, they can do with him all the things they did with Harvin. I don't care who they draft for the rest of the draft.

Great analysis.

I like the deal the vikes made. Trade mid round picks to grab elite talent. Their first three picks could pay off huge for them.

Agreed, the definitely picked some talented people and didnt have to give up the farm. I like all of their picks...

The other trades that were made were very close to their chart value (within 5% or so).

I think this was more a case of the Raiders being dead set on one guy who they were confident would be there at #12 and taking the best offer available, and Miami really wanting to get a guy who they were confident would not be there at #3.

I think you nailed it, Oakland wanted Hayden and knew that was their guy all along

I thought the Vikings made fantastic moves and the Patriots were in an unfamiliar situation and panicked.

Give me the upside of Patterson above anything the Patriots might find with all those mid and later round picks. The burden is now on them and I don't like their chances.

Minnesota did what I described as ideal strategy in the main forum for the past week, to spotlight guys in the top 40 every year and all but ignore the middle rounds if you have to. There's nothing more overrated than late 2nd round through 4th round. Those rounds might produce moderate starters but you can pick them up elsewhere.

The only difference was, I said pinpoint 2 premium players...Vikings got 3.

Spielman is the man. He did what everyone dreams about--3 picks in the first round. Unbelievable! Best GM ever!

I just detest the idea of Bellichek with more picks 8(

Why? So they can draft more WRs and CBs that don't end up panning out?

The Patriots' drafts have always been blown out of proportion. They really haven't drafted very well over the past 4 or 5 seasons. That's the main reason, in my mind anyway, that they stopped winning Superbowls.

Why? So they can draft more WRs and CBs that don't end up panning out?

The Patriots' drafts have always been blown out of proportion. They really haven't drafted very well over the past 4 or 5 seasons. That's the main reason, in my mind anyway, that they stopped winning Superbowls.

Yeah they put together some strong drafts in the 2000's, but as of recent they have been a little lackluster.

Back
Top Bottom