Wannstedt aggressive?..no, it can't be! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wannstedt aggressive?..no, it can't be!

MDFINFAN said:
This won't change the naysayers mind, they believe we had all the talent in the world and we could be aggressive all the time..but I say, we didn't have the personnel to pull it off, and you've sited some examples, I site more, but I'd be wasting my time with people who really just don't understand that we just didn't have the personnel to aggressive, whether it's the qb, or the ol or the WR. It just wasn't there. And until this year's OL prove to be better, we still might not have the ability to be really aggressive.
I'm with you 100% although I think it will still be important to come out of the gates being aggresive. We should play aggresive until we fail like in the examples above, otherwise we need to bring heat and set a tone for this year. We have made some additions this year that, if nothing, can change gameplans just by being on the field. We need to make everyone think were going to be attacking with purpose on every play. This year should be a very exciting one.

DoLpHiNz34 said:
I'm with you 100% although I think it will still be important to come out of the gates being aggresive. We should play aggresive until we fail like in the examples above, otherwise we need to bring heat and set a tone for this year. We have made some additions this year that, if nothing, can change gameplans just by being on the field. We need to make everyone think were going to be attacking with purpose on every play. This year should be a very exciting one.

I agree. I don't want to see the Fins running the ball on 3rd & 10+ any more...that has to end this year. That's when Wanny is ultra conservative..especially in a close game. He's always putting the pressure back on the defense to keep stopping the other team. They need to at least try..even when it's 3rd &15..once in a while.

Gladsadmad said:
I agree. I don't want to see the Fins running the ball on 3rd & 10+ any more...that has to end this year. That's when Wanny is ultra conservative..especially in a close game. He's always putting the pressure back on the defense to keep stopping the other team. They need to at least try..even when it's 3rd &15..once in a while.
You just reminded me of something I wanted to discuss.

Does anyone else feel that our defense breaks down a lot cause of our A)conservative style of play when having a lead B)offense struggling so mightlily to just put a 2-3 first down drive together and give our D a rest? Our defense has recieved a rep lately of breaking down at some inopportune times and I think it's not fair to say the defense didn't do it's job. I just think both of these things combined make for long 2 halves for our D and they naturally get tired. Thoughts?

DoLpHiNz34 said:

Does anyone else feel that our defense breaks down a lot cause of our A)conservative style of play when having a lead B)offense struggling so mightlily to just put a 2-3 first down drive together and give our D a rest? Our defense has recieved a rep lately of breaking down at some inopportune times and I think it's not fair to say the defense didn't do it's job. I just think both of these things combined make for long 2 halves for our D and they naturally get tired. Thoughts?

You may have a point, the O has to produce enough to give the D a break, we have an undersize D. and the continuous pounding does have an affect.

I don't blame the D when the Offense is going 3 and out, they are getting overworked and eventually wear down and give up some points. I do blame the D when the opposing team comes out from the get go starts driving the field and scoring points, our offense answers with points as well, and the D does nothing to stop us from falling victim to a shootout. (I'm talking about last year's Philly game.)

DoLpHiNz34 said:

It's sounds about right. Though the defense doesn't break down very often, it can't help that they are always under constant pressure to dominate...i.e. the Patriot game in NE. They did every thing they could possibly do..and it still wasn't enough...it was sad. I'm not as sure about them being physically tired...maybe mentally tired.

As far as that Eagle game..there really is no excuse..they stunk. All I can really say about that is that it happens to every good defense once in a while. We just need the offense to pick up the slack when it happens and make it a non issue.

examples from last season...

Patriots-38 Colts-34
Ravens-44 Seahawks-41
Patriots 38 Titans-30
Cowboys-35 Giants-32
Titans-38 Falcons-31

We need to find a way to win when the defense has an off game..as rare as that is.

we cant win either our offense playes great and our defense playes horrible or our defense plays great and our offense playes horrible wich is more likely. i wish we could play every game like we played last thanksgiving we should all eat more turkey:lifter:

Just how agressive can you be on third and long with Jay at QB? Seriously. He struggles with the deep pass, and then when the defense KNOWS you have to pass? Scary stuff. :eek:

Wanny gets the blame for that though, since he has kept Jay around all these years, and frankly, has gotten out of this offense what he has put into it -very little.

I'd also like to point out that there are times when being conservative is the best way to go. Wanny has a problem knowing when to roll the dice and when to just hand the ball to Ricky. He zigs when he should be zagging and vis versa. Just like a great HB just knows how to run to daylight, a coach has a feel for the game or he doesn't. Wanny lacks that "it" thing, and is really just an average coach.

Even more, I think watching the 2000 Ravens win a SB with dominate defense convinced Wanny he could do the same. An average QB and offense would be "good enough" combined with dominate defense. The Ravens were a bit of a fluke that year, but Wanny never seemed to grasp the idea that a good offense + good defense is easier to build than making one side dominate.

Miami has had good, but never great defense under Dave. Never good enough to carry a lackluster offense. Get the offense up to "good" and I like our chances of competing with ANY team out there.

In the first couple games of the season we should be really aggressive throwing the ball. That way teams will start respecting the pass and running lanes for ricky will be open. Also, fewer carries for Ricky will keep him fresher at the end of the season and hopefully the playoffs. Agree or Disagree?

VJ1252 said:
In the first couple games of the season we should be really aggressive throwing the ball. That way teams will start respecting the pass and running lanes for ricky will be open. Also, fewer carries for Ricky will keep him fresher at the end of the season and hopefully the playoffs. Agree or Disagree?

Absoutely agree. It definitely helps that Miami plays two of the weaker pass defenses from 2003.

WEEK 1-Tennessee 30th against the pass last yr
WEEK 2-@Cincinnati 22nd against the pass last yr

Then in the next 2 weeks we play two more suspect secondaries...

WEEK 3-Pittsburgh
WEEK 4-NY Jets

If you're going to be aggressive, it helps when the team isn't as good against the pass.. that's for sure.

Gladsadmad said:
Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't think that Wannstedt is a great coach by any means. He may be above average at best. I can't excuse the fact that Wanny continues to run screen plays and draw plays every time the Dolphins have a 3rd and long..I hate that! But he hasn't always been conservative as many label him. Wannstedt has been aggressive on several occasions as the Dolphins head coach. It just seems that almost every time he takes a gamble it fails due to poor execution. That's probably why he's conservative most of the time (like most coaches).

Here are some examples of the aggressive Wannstedt:

2002 @ NE, Dolphins throw 3 straight times late in the 4th qtr with the idea that a 1st down would put the game away. They failed.

In the same game, the Dolphins went for a deep pass that could've given Miami a 28-10 lead in the 3rd qtr but it was overthrown and Mare missed the resulting FG attempt.

2003 vs. Texans, The Dolphins scored to go up by five, 20-15, with more than 12 minutes left to play. If they kick the extra point, they are up by six. But they wanted to go up by a touchdown, so they went for two (and failed).

In the same game, leading 20-18 with 4 minutes to go the Dolphins throw on 2nd &12 instead of playing it safe and working the clock. The poor pass was intercepted resulting in a loss.

2000 @ NY Jets, Immediately after the Jets tie the score at 30 in the 4th qtr, the Dolphins throw a 46 yard bomb to regain the lead.

2000 vs. Tampa Bay, trailing 16-13 and in FG range late in the game, the Dolphins try to pass for the win instead of running out the clock and settling for OT. A penalty and a terrible pass for an INT result.

2002 @ Bills, Late in the first half with the Dolphins up 14-10 and facing a 4th and 4 at the Bills 36, Miami coach Dave Wannstedt decided to gamble and go for it. Ray Lucas fumbled and Miami never recovered. A quote from Wanny..

"You know when you're on the road you're going to have to score points against Buffalo, you could just feel it out there. The momentum of the whole thing obviously swung into their favor, and that's what you've got to try to prevent.''...

It's hard to imagine that that gamble came from Mr.Conservative. I hope that with better offensive talent, Wannstedt will be less afraid and he will take more chances.
You gotta be kidding me if you think this is a legitamite post. There is kno doubt Wanny has been conservative. U pointed out 7 plays.....out of 3 years! Im not saying hes a horrible coach or nething like tht(i dont think hes good tho) but pointing out 7 plays doesnt change nething. I bet u i could find 7 plays in a game for some teams tht were agressive. And another thing, offense is only 1/2 of the team. Whats his excuse for being so conservative on defence? The scheme works alot of the time, but still there are times where a team finds a way to break them, and theyll keep doing it untill they b more agressive(throw some blitzes, diffrent coverages etc.). O BTW, hillarious post Muck, very tru.

FinFan24 said:
You gotta be kidding me if you think this is a legitamite post. There is kno doubt Wanny has been conservative. U pointed out 7 plays.....out of 3 years! Im not saying hes a horrible coach or nething like tht(i dont think hes good tho) but pointing out 7 plays doesnt change nething. I bet u i could find 7 plays in a game for some teams tht were agressive. And another thing, offense is only 1/2 of the team. Whats his excuse for being so conservative on defence? The scheme works alot of the time, but still there are times where a team finds a way to break them, and theyll keep doing it untill they b more agressive(throw some blitzes, diffrent coverages etc.). O BTW, hillarious post Muck, very tru.
So you believe a defense should NEVER be beaten? That's unrealistic, to say the least...

FinFan24 said:

No, I guess my post is not legitimate...It's all lies. Those things never happened :lol:

You just don't understand the whole point, do you? Just to let you in on it, I'll explain it in more detail. The point of my post wasn't to say that Wanny is not conservative. It was to show a possible reason why he coaches that way. It could be that the reason that Wannstedt is more conservative is that almost every time he takes a chance (as I listed in detail) it fails. Not to mention the fact that almost all of the "7 plays" were gigantic, game-changing moments. But I guess that means nothing :shakeno:

It's strange that you liked Muck's post and not mine when he's supporting my arguement. That highlight in the JAX game is another example of a play that is aggressive (a deep pass) but it failed.

So, you find that Muck's 1 play is "very tru" as you put it, while my "7 plays" are illegitimate? That makes you very confused.

Atila said:
i love it how whenever someone presents a discussion on wanny they immediately assure everyone they think wanny sucks, haha i love it :)
He does suck. So does Fiedler.:roflmao:

finphan said:
He does suck. So does Fiedler.:roflmao:

I guess I should just skip the whole Dolphins season then..It's over before it begins :cry:

I know, I'll root for the Chargers! If the 10-6 Dolphins suck, that must mean that the 4-12 Chargers don't suck. It's like a bizarro world. Whew...thank goodness I have a backup plan. :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom