Wanny & Agression | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wanny & Agression

R_t_Kraken

Active Roster
Reaction score
I think one of the things that Wannstedt lacks the most is aggression. Because he almost never is. With his players and his play-calling the same. Other than that, he isn't a bad coach at all. I'm not saying he needs to be aggressive every game. But pick and choose his spots.

For example: If we are up by 3 points, with say... 3 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, and we are on the 2 yard line, but we are playing against a stellar defense like say... The Ravens defense, then you kick the feild goal.

But in the same situation, and you are playing a weaker defense, such as the Colts or the Cheifs, I would say be aggressive and go for the TD.

If Wanny is doing his homework on his opponents, he shouldn't have a problem with aggression. Wanny puts too much pressure on his defense almost every game. He relys on them to hold onto small leads entirely to much.

He also needs to learn how to get in a players face when they foul up. He is too nice of a guy. He needs to have these guys pumped and ready to win football games.

I mean come on, even in after-game press conferences he insists on making excuses for his players. And then goes on about saying we'll get it fixed and get em next time.

I'm sure Wanny is aware that his coaching career could be riding on this upcoming season. He needs to find a way to get his players to "respect" him, rather than "like" him.

that right there i totally agree with...awesome post...finally someone that says DW doesnt just entirely suck

Dolphinizzle said:
For example: If we are up by 3 points, with say... 3 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, and we are on the 2 yard line, but we are playing against a stellar defense like say... The Ravens defense, then you kick the feild goal.

But in the same situation, and you are playing a weaker defense, such as the Colts or the Cheifs, I would say be aggressive and go for the TD.

While it's not in your scenario I assume you're talking about 4th and goal from the 2. I think there might be other questions to consider (have we been able to run the ball? Is the score 3-0 or 43-40? In the first case, I can make the case for kicking the field goal more easily.) My question is, when was Wanny in this situation where he kicked the field goal? If this has happened in the past, or happened regularly enough to call it 'a pattern' and I just don't recall, I apologize.

However, if you are stating a comepletely hypothetical case, assigning a hypothetical action to the coach, and then blaming him for it...well, that might be construed as a bit unfair.

Well hypothetically speaking, in that kind of scenerio, Wanny would kick the field goal under most circumstances 9 times out of 10. I don't think I can recall this scenerio happening off the top of my head. Wanny being as conservative as he is, rarely does he lay all his cards on the table, and aggressively go for the win. Instead, being the defensive minded coach that he is, he would rather sit on a small lead and run out the clock and hope the D can hold up, rather than go for that big play that could potentially win or lose the game for certain.

I look for him to be a little more aggressive at times this year is all I'm saying. Being that his career is on the line. And I think I speak for most fin fans when I say we are getting sick of the same old vanilla offensive schemes and the conservitive play calling.

And yes, in that scenerio I meant to put 4th and goal in there, sorry about that.

I'd kick the field goal. So would Don Shula. Thats why your not making the $ to coach and make these decisions. Try actually coaching and having to make that decision before questioning what should be done, you might learn something!

The original post was about being aggressive, not about a FG situation. Wanny is too conservative. He needs to put the heat on players ala Belechek and Parsons. Only then will they progress to the next level.

Yeah, if it has been a defensive struggle, low scoring kinda game, then kick the FG and force the other team to get a TD.

If it is a 33-30 kinda game, then I'd think about trying to get the TD. I figure you can take the chance, then rely on your D to at least hold the other team to at worst a FG.

The game that comes to my mind was the Chefs-Colts game. I think EVERYONE except Vermiel (sp?) knew there was NO WAY the Chefs D was going to finally make a defensive stop. They should have tried the onside kick, then put the games in the hands of the D.

When your defense has done nothing all day long, don't expect it to show up when you need it most. On the other hand, you've got to feel pretty good most days putting the Dolphins D out there to hold a lead.

Wow, you guys took that post entirely in the wrong direction. I was referring to Wanny being a conservative coach, and he needs to get out of that habit. The example was just a scenerio in which Wanny would probably play it conservative.

Wanny is too predictable in his play calling.
If he has a lead in the 2nd half, he sits on it.
Wanny would rather hand the ball to Ricky on 3rd & long rather than throw the ball.

These are all examples of his conservative nature.

What I'm trying to get at here is... He needs to know when to go for it all. And when to be conservative. He needs to pick and choose his spots is all I'm saying.

He needs to be...... Unpredictable. :rolleyes:

News Flash......

Wanny does not call the plays. The OC does.

Wanny has a conservative philosohy due to the quality of the defense and the lack of talent on offense. His philosophy is very similar to a number of successful coaches.

Back
Top Bottom