watch the senior bowl | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

watch the senior bowl

The better question is how many franchise QB's are in this Draft? I believe there is only one, and he'll be far out of reach for the Dolphins.

I think two have and excellent shot at being franchise QB's (Newton and Gabbert) and one has a decent chance (Mallett).

the guys i want that played today are kaepernick, powell, and hankerson. all three guys would make the offense explosive.

We don't have a franchise QB. There are none in FA. Draft is the only way to get a young QB with a skill set organization is looking for. Whoever that is and starts is the franchise QB for the time. If you can't live with that and have to quit than I don't know what to tell you--it's just a part of how NFL runs.

Most of this has nothing to do with anything I said, but drafting Kaepernick as your franchise QB brings new perspective to the adage "a wing and a prayer." If it's not one of the big three, you have to use that pick to get a 1st next year so that you have more ammunition to get either Barkley or Luck. Have to.

Here's a "not so fast" on Colin Kaepernick.

I've been saying for a long time that with Jake Locker having been a four year starter, and still being considered so "raw"...there's an issue there. How can you be a four year starter, be raw as sushi, and two more years will do the trick? Seriously.

But anyway, why isn't the same said about Colin Kaepernick? Seriously, the guy played in high school. He was a four year starter. Why does he still look like a baseball pitcher and not a quarterback? In many ways he's even more raw than Jake Locker. Locker at least has great mechanics and I love the way he keeps his balance and feet under him especially outside the pocket. But, why is Colin Kaepernick still so raw, after four years of starting?

Cam Newton is accused of not being dedicated to the mastery of the quarterback position. He's played ONE year, and made incredible progress during that one season. Why did Colin Kaepernick start all four seasons...and come out more raw as a passer?

How much are you willing to give up to go after Gabbert?

Well, the value of next year's picks has yet to be determined. If there's a rookie cap next year first round picks are going to worth a small fortune. CK has referenced once proposed figure where the #1 overall pick next year would make approximately what the #20 pick will make this year. In that world, top picks are like gold.

In that kind of situation I would be willing to part with our first this year and next year... and also a player like Kendall Langford -- who I think is one of our most valuable trade pieces -- to go up and get him.

That's quite a lot to give up, in my opinion. Certainly a trade you don't make without swallowing hard. But I make it. Then again, I feel more strongly about Gabbert than most people.

Now, in a world without a rookie cap, then it's harder for me to say what exactly what I would be willing to give up. You're probably looking at something like two firsts, our third this year and probably a player or two. It's hard to say. Relatively speaking, the Jets gave up peanuts to move up for Sanchez, but they also had the advantage of dealing with a coach who and valued relative unknowns on their roster.

Why did Colin Kaepernick start all four seasons...and come out more raw as a passer?

I think the rawness is the result of the offense he played--the dual threat requirement of the position he was put in for four years. I just like how he looks in the pocket and his decisions in and out of pocket--he looks comfortable, it feels like a real deal to me and that is reassuring. The timely delivery, the repertoire of throws is not there, the right play calls are not always there though and that is the result of 4-years of pistol. I don't get the same comfortable feeling watching Locker and Stanzi--with those two you feel something bad will happen.

Here's a "not so fast" on Colin Kaepernick.

I've been saying for a long time that with Jake Locker having been a four year starter, and still being considered so "raw"...there's an issue there. How can you be a four year starter, be raw as sushi, and two more years will do the trick? Seriously.

But anyway, why isn't the same said about Colin Kaepernick? Seriously, the guy played in high school. He was a four year starter. Why does he still look like a baseball pitcher and not a quarterback? In many ways he's even more raw than Jake Locker. Locker at least has great mechanics and I love the way he keeps his balance and feet under him especially outside the pocket. But, why is Colin Kaepernick still so raw, after four years of starting?

Cam Newton is accused of not being dedicated to the mastery of the quarterback position. He's played ONE year, and made incredible progress during that one season. Why did Colin Kaepernick start all four seasons...and come out more raw as a passer?
I think Kaepernick is raw because of the system he played in. He didn't play 4 years in a pro style offense like Locker. My problem with Locker isn't that he's raw; he's just bad. Kaepernick despite being so raw looks a lot better than Locker.

I think the rawness is the result of the offense he played--the dual threat requirement of the position he was put in for four years. I just like how he looks in the pocket and his decisions in and out of pocket--he looks comfortable, it feels like a real deal to me and that is reassuring. The timely delivery, the repertoire of throws is not there, the right play calls are not always there though and that is the result of 4-years of pistol. I don't get the same comfortable feeling watching Locker and Stanzi--with those two you feel something bad will happen.

The system he played in didn't give him that horrendous delivery.

I don't buy that for one second. That's the same offense, same coach, same system that Jeff Rowe worked in. Rowe may never have made it in the NFL as more than a backup, but he was nowhere NEAR as raw or awkward looking from a fundamental passing mechanics standpoint as Colin Kaepernick is. Not even close.

Listen I'm not trying to say you have to not like Colin Kaepernick. I'm just pointing out the error in logic that says that Cam Newton the one-year starter needs to be questioned on his commitment to mastering the details of the position, but Colin Kaepernick the four-year starter gets away scott free even though he's much more awkward looking and much more fundamentally un-sound in his mastery of the details of the QB game. That's an error in logic.

Exactly. I guess people don't remember Jeff Rowe too well. Came out of the same system. Wasn't near as purely talented as Colin Kaepernick. But he was nowhere near as raw-looking. Why?

I mean yeah there's a WILLINGNESS to get better from these guys. But how much ability do they have to get better? Willingness isn't Jake Locker's problem. He just can't get better. How do we know Colin Kaepernick can?

Listen I'm not trying to say you have to not like Colin Kaepernick.
lol. I know you are not shoving thoughts into my head.

I'm just pointing out the error in logic that says that Cam Newton the one-year starter needs to be questioned on his commitment to mastering the details of the position, but Colin Kaepernick the four-year starter gets away scott free even though he's much more awkward looking and much more fundamentally un-sound in his mastery of the details of the QB game. That's an error in logic.

Valid point. However, I am not the one questioning Cam Newton, but I think Newton's footwork is more raw, much more raw, than Kaepernick's. I think that Kaepernick is much further along. But for those who are, that is a valid point.

As far as Newton, he is purely shotgun, one step shoot or run QB.

As far as logic, there is only one thing that matters and that is who can score, who can deliver, and tonight it was Ponder.

You missed the point. The point is the pistol system did not teach him what you want to see because it was not required. In other words, you are partly right, the pistol did not give horrendeous nor great delivery.

but I think Newton's footwork is more raw, much more raw, than Kaepernick's.

At the beginning of the year? Yes.

Toward the middle and end of the year? No.

As far as Newton, he is purely shotgun, one step shoot or run QB.

Actually even though it wasn't very often, Cam Newton does have experience going under Center. They do it every game. He hands off from under Center and he play-actions from it. His footwork and ability to execute fundamentally on those plays looks fine to me. It's probably why his trainer is claiming that he's taking to the dropback stuff like a fish in water.

As far as logic, there is only one thing that matters and that is who can score, who can deliver, and tonight it was Ponder.

Tonight, yes it was. Did his part to try and hold of Kaepernick from rising above him on my draft board. I have Ponder #6 and Kaepernick #7. That could change after tonight but I'm still not sure. I might drop Devlin below both, based on his sh-tty performance during Shrine week and in the game.

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

You missed the point. The point is the pistol system did not teach him what you want to see because it was not required. In other words, you are partly right, the pistol did not give horrendeous nor great delivery.

Why did it give Jeff Rowe a fundamentally sound delivery but not Colin Kaepernick?

his trainer is claiming that he's taking to the dropback stuff like a fish in water.
That's good news cause he'll need that like a fish needs water.

Why did it give Jeff Rowe a fundamentally sound delivery but not Colin Kaepernick?

I can't answer that. But to me that is also besides the bottom line, which is whether Kaepernick can win in NFL. There have been plenty fundamentally sounder failures than Vick, Big Ben, Randall Cunnigham, Bernie Kosar. In other words, I choose to look at the overall skill set he brings to the NFL rather than certain fundamentals. And I chose so mostly on emotional basis: Kaepernick makes me feel comfortable, makes me feel something good will happen on a play.

Back
Top Bottom