We have gained more than we have lost with Rickys retirement! *READ* | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We have gained more than we have lost with Rickys retirement! *READ*

Phinfan31

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I was shocked to this news as all of you. But I thought about it and I think this is good news rather than bad. All we did was run, we had WAY too much faith in him last season because of his 1800 yd season prior. We were running him on 3rd and 15......wtf was that about? Thats basically giving up and automatically punting...finally our offense will focus on multiple players rather than ONE. We will spread it out with Chambers, Boston, McMike, Travis, Konrad, etc. We will be a much more BALANCED offense and especially with the new OC. We have made alot of coaching staff changes. We have a good QB coach, a great WR coach, a new OC...our ENTIRE offensive approach will be new. This is always a great thing. When we got Ricky Williams why do you think he had such a great season that year? Before we got him ALL WE DID WAS PASS THE BALL. We had no running game, Lamar was not a good RB. He had 1 decent year. Ricky and our entire change in offense completely caught other teams by surprise. We were a new Miami Dolphins team...why didnt we make the playoffs that year then?? Well unfortunately Fiedler was injured and we had quite possibly one of the worst Qbs in the NFL Ray Lucas at center...but anyways thats all in the past. We made it into the playoffs before Ricky...we sure as hell will do it again. The only negative is that we no longer have a top talent at back. I feel we have gained MUCH more than we have lost however when you add all these things up:
- Our team is going to step up to this challenge and prove that they can win without Ricky, it might spark the fire within the locker room that theyve been missing. They will now have something to prove as a team and also individually. Travis, the line, the QB, and the WRs will have to prove they can get the job done without Rickys constant pounding.
- Defenses wont know whats coming anymore, they cant concentrate on Ricky souly, they will have to fear multiple players now that the ball will be spread around more.
- We will be more balanced, and the ball will be split up better now that the RB wont be getting like 35 carries per game.
- I heard a new Dave Wannstedt in that press conference. He had alot of determination and sounded very confident. I could sense anger in his voice and thats something I dont think ive ever heard before...maybe he will finally get these guys pumped up and do some good things in the lockerroom. He knows he has to work his *** off now, he can no longer take the conservative approach.
- The thing I like MOST about this is that Wanny can no longer run Ricky OVER AND OVER he cannot run his offense he loves to run so dearly - the offense we hate and complain about. I dont know how many times Ive heard people complain about how much of a conservative offense we have had these past years. ITS OVER!!!

We did lose a star player...but what would you rather have..1 star player at offense or alot of players stepping up their game and rising to the occasion?The teamwork and determination is what got New England to the Superbowl, they had suffered more injuries and had alot more holes than we have. We can do it..as they did. Dont give up!

You havent been around here much today have you. There are 2 groups of people, the group that thinks its all over and the group your in that thinks we will be fine for the same reasons you stated. I am in the latter..i dont think it was good to lose him, but it wont be the death blow many expect it to be.

Do you REALLY feel you've gained more than you've lost? Did it take a star player to retire suddenly to get Wanny to realize a balanced attack is a more potent offense? I think your in denial, but your post does have its merits. I think the fishies will finish around .500.

McD

Another interesting point to add on to yours is that Miami does have an offensive mind that can take advantage of Travis Minors receiving ability as well as Fred Russell ( not sure about him, maybe he'll show his stuff in training camp.)

That offensive mind is MArc Trestman. He's spent time with Charlie Garner in Oakland.

But, one thing is that it is nice to have a safety net. Ricky was the safety net on offense. Miami now has none.

The QB is a question mark, as well as the o-line as well as the RB's now.

Youre right, we wont have a solid safety net but I for one dont want one. You have to take chances to win football games, not sit back and relax and take it one run at a time. Im glad Dave wont have Ricky as his tool anymore to just keep it safe and run..we have to have a more explosive offense, and hopefully we will have that..if Chambers, Boston, McMike and our QB play well.

I don't think it matters if Wanny has a safety net or not. He's only comfortable running the ball and controlling the clock, and he'll find one back or a combination of backs to do just that - a trade is imminent- wait and see. Wanny change his philosophy:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Kencoboy said:
I don't think it matters if Wanny has a safety net or not. He's only comfortable running the ball and controlling the clock, and he'll find one back or a combination of backs to do just that - a trade is imminent- wait and see. Wanny change his philosophy:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
The way Dave was using and abusing Ricky it didnt take much game planning.Do you really think he is suddenly become an imaginative creative playcaller ?:wall: It not in his nature.He will probably opt for trading for a player with similar characteristics and adapt him to fit his one and only playbook he brought over from Dallas:dunce: .He is always trying to fit square pegs into round holes.:judge:

The other thing to remember is that RW was really a sub-par back last year. There's lots of guys that can average 3.5 yards a carry! The only reason he got 1300+ was that we kept feeding it to him. Let's face it, if Trung Canidate or Stacey Mack was averaging 3.5 yards/carry, we'd have done something different by mid season, but because of RW's admittedly awesome 2002 season and his rep, we just kept feeding him the ball. Everyone in the stadium knew where it was going. Now we will either give his replacement(s) the same amount of carries with similar results, or actually try to shake it up a little. I don't think we lose much unless they panic and make a stupid trade or give away too much.

well, i said it before and i will say it again, tradgedy brings people together.
A-Rod left texas and now look at the rangers
There are positives here that are legit and you mentioned some of the things football strategy wise. Ricky leaving under these conditions does a few things, it angers the team and puts a new focus on things. Then we end up with a Naje Davenport or someone else and all of a sudden, you have a whole new ballgame.
Wanny defenitely has to see some things differently and his anger maybe will light some fire into his *** on the sidelines this year. I think they call it channeling. :eek: :confused: :cry: :fire: :yell:

RUDEbyallMEANS said:
But, one thing is that it is nice to have a safety net. Ricky was the safety net on offense. Miami now has none.

Your right but DW has a tendency to use a safety net as his own person blankie, woobie, ......etc. I'm convinced the DW still sleeps with his childhood teddy and wears the same dam underwear that he wore during the cowboys heyday.

I don't think that DW would ever make the switch to Trestman because it would be an offense that he doesn't know. He is too insecure to let that happen. IMO this team has got a shot but it will be determined by how DW manages the offense. If he pulls a JJ and decides that the same offense will work then we are doomed. If he opens things up and allows the OC to coordinate then we'll have a shot.

One last note...Dallas lost Emmitt Smith last year. Parcel's didn't run out and trade for just any RB. He carefully searched for a RB. He traded for cason but other than that he stood pat. Parcels helped the cowboys turn the corner last year while replacing a superstar RB with a avg one. IMO Good coaching can make a difference. IMO Minor is better than hambrick, and Henry might just surprise people. He drew alot of attention when he was on the practice squad a couple of years ago.

IMO we need to extend Chambers, Try to sign OGUn to a reasonable contract and bring in a vet to help out the RB's. Trading OGUN for a 2nd team back will weaken our D and basicly limit us in the future. JT, ZACH, MAdison, Surtain, they are all getting older. We need to hold onto our young players.

It's either we're doomed or we're not. At least this topic is taking away the discussion about our QB battle. Jay or AJ, AJ or Jay. Preseason cannot get here soon enough. :fire:

SmokeyPhinz said:
It's either we're doomed or we're not. At least this topic is taking away the discussion about our QB battle. Jay or AJ, AJ or Jay. Preseason cannot get here soon enough. :fire:

i dont see it that way. i see it that we will end up 9-7 and in the same damn boat. that is unless Boston has a year like what he had in arizona and AJ feelgood delivers.

[Q] We were running him on 3rd and 15......wtf was that about? [/Q]

Because god forbid we take a shot to continue the drive and maybe, even with Jay, throw and INT.

Why is Jay Dave's man but yet he obviously has no faith in him. We became so 1 dimensional with Ricky that Dave had his horse he thought he could ride all the way. Well, Dave rode Ricky out of won and got us nowhere in 2 years. Dave needs to realize running is just a part of the game, a part of the offense. Passing is the biggest part, or at least dead equal. I really hope this marks a change of philosophy that moves the focus more to passing or at least being more balanced.

All you Ricky leaving haters/doom-sayers answer this-

We went to how many playoffs in the past decade without a 1,000 yard rusher compared to how many with Ricky?

I wrote a thread yesterday entitled "Ricky Out, Best Thing for Fins" before I read Mr. Sykes' (DrAstroZoom) commentary, which was great BTW!!... But I can't get seem to get over all of the "glass is half empty" Finfans that did the poll on the home page of this site.

50% think we are dead meat
15% don't care anymore
and only 35% see this as opportunity to shine

I'm not a dreamer by any means. I have logically thought this thing out and sincerly believe we are better off now. Sure I felt some betrayal when I read the news Sunday morning. That feeling lasted for about 5 minutes, then I just felt bad for more negitive press in this offseason. This is going to force our coaches to get creative, and we have some incredible talent on this team that they will now need to use effectively. It's just unfortunate that so many people have had thier heads so far up Ricky's A55, that they have forgotten about the many other potential weapons we have here!! This gives huge opportunity to the guys who are hungry about this game to show that this was never Ricky's team.

Thanks for the wake up call Ricky!! B-bye

Back
Top Bottom