We have to start drafting QBs

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by IluvJuMiami, Dec 13, 2006.

1. IluvJuMiami

IluvJuMiami Banned Hammered

The round doesn't matter. I think its imperative we begin to draft QBs in every draft. I haven't heard much about it anymore. Seems like after we fell out of the Brady Quinn/Troy Smith sweepstakes the chatter stopped. It's crucial to have constant competition, especially fresh, young competition at the most integral position on a team year in and year out. And this has no bearing on JH or DC. Even if drafted in the first round the youngster could sit behind the pair, although I wouldn't be in favor of wasting a 1st round pick on a 3rd string QB.

2. Dolphins Own

Dolphins Own Dolphins fan since 2002

I think it Saban should draft like this

1st- 3rd Round- O-line
    4th-backup kicker if mare chockes
    5th- Maybe a CB
    6th- QB, Hope we can get the next Marino

3. IluvJuMiami

IluvJuMiami Banned Hammered

We need a stud veteran Olineman out of FA and another stud in the first day of the draft. I doubt Saban is going to draft 3 Olinemen back to back to back and I wouldn't much be in favor of it either. But yes, main point, pick up a QB somewhere along the lines.

4. BSQX4

BSQX4 A True Fan

Dude, imo, round 4-a killer linebacker or lightning fast wide reciever. A kicker can be had without giving up a draftchoice or just keep Olindo. He's doing better and maybe he'll restructure. I like o-line as the #1 priority. Imagine 2 new monsters for Houck to groom into superior players. Left tackle and Right Guard maybe. Culpepper returns to 100% form, Ricky comes back to reform the amazing Ricky and Ronnie backfield again. With our top 3 in the NFL defense and an offense with all the right new pieces added we'll be very hard to beat. I'm looking forward to being an elite team next year. It will happen.

5. maverick50

maverick50 the top gun of all fin fans

yes we do need to draft a qb . now two more years my boy bobby reid will be coming out and he is a very good qb and he is alot like donnovan mcnabb. but we could use the following.
    we should draft a olineman, olb, wr , te, rb, dt and safety, we can get a kicker in f/a and we can get a olineman in f/a but i would prioritize our needs like this.
    priority 1 oline
    priority 2 olb
    priority 3 wr
    priority 4 dt
    priority 5 te
    priority 6 rb
    priority 7 olb or de
    priority 8 qb

6. JT Sack Attack

JT Sack Attack Channing + Tom + Jason = SQUISH!!!!!

for the dolphins the most imortant need is o-line and 2ndary we need a replacement for micontoge he averages mor than 5yds of penalties a game:thewave:

7. Ozfin77

Ozfin77 Starter

In a perfect world, yes, we should be drafting an OL in round 1 of the draft.

But seriously, would you really draft a second or third round quality player in the first round just because our o-line needs attention, when there are other, better players to take with our first selection.......I DONT THINK SO.

I think it comes down to a list of 8-10 players incl. OL, DE, LB, S, CB, and we take whoever the coaches feel is the best available when it's our turn to pick.

We dont need a QB in the first round.....we have other needs at the moment.

8. Ozfin77

Ozfin77 Starter

In a perfect world, yes, we should be drafting and OL in round 1 of the draft.

But seriously, would you really draft a second or third round quality player in the first round just because out o-line needs attention, when there are other, better players to take with our first selection.......I DONT THINK SO.

I think it comes down to a list of 8-10 players incl. OL, LB, DE, S, CB, and we take whoever the coaches feel is the best available when it's our turn to pick.

We dont need a QB in the first round.....we have other needs at the moment.

9. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

I agree. We absolutely need to draft a QB every year. You never know when you'll hit on a great one. I read recently that we have drafted only 3 QBs in the past 16 drafts. Unbelievable. No wonder we have been horrible at the position since Marino retired. The most notable QB of the 3 we have drafted was Josh Heupel. (Oh boy).
    After we have successfully hit on a good starting QB, we should still draft one every other season in preparation for seasons down the road, to solidify the back up role, to groon a future starter, and to build possible trade bait.

10. A.C.

A.C. You Know Me

he drafted jason allen last year....

11. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Billy Milner...nuff said

12. phins3454

phins3454 Banned Hammered

Does Miami not have a 2nd or a 3rd round pick?

13. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

At this time, we have all our alloted picks. We gave up a 2nd rounder to Minnesota this year for Daunte.

14. idaho

idaho Seasoned Veteran

I am not a draft expert but why wait until the 6th round to pu a qb? Why not try and move up and pickup a Quinn or Smith quality qb. I am thinking the odds of busting on an ol pick are just as good as busting on a qb? I mean the last time we took a 1st round qb it worked out for us.

15. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Member of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee

Right now we have:

1st
    2nd
    3rd
    4th
    6th
    7th

16. Dolphins Own

Dolphins Own Dolphins fan since 2002

We are not i9n need of a QB. We need a o-line at this point. Well we have Vernon, Shelton, and Fonoti(could be decent,) so we only need around 2-3 o-line players, and that takes up a bunch of the draft if they don't use free agency.(They as in the coaches)

17. clbrazee

clbrazee Seasoned Veteran

Drafting a QB in rounds 2-4 would be a nice. I like Brohm.

18. Dolfan11

Dolfan11 Perennial All Pro

No way does this team draft a kicker with all other positions needing attention and only 6 draft picks. You can easily pick up a proven kicker through FA or work out a rookie undrafted FA since most of these "good kickers" deserving to get drafted won't.

Free Agents that I think we will/should pursue on the defensive side:
    A) Lance Briggs, Adalius Thomas, or Kawika Mitchell
    B) Michael Lewis, Nate Clements, or Asante Samuel

IMO, Miami will sign 1 of these players. Whether it be a LB or a DB, that will dictate whether they draft a DB or LB in the first round, UNLESS we have a shot at drafting one of the top tier OL in this draft.

Either way, I would like to get a LB, DB, QB, 2 OL, and either WR/RB/LB/DL from this draft.

19. slyfox13

slyfox13 Pro Bowler

as long as you dont draft a qb above the 5th round i see no prob with that!

20. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

I think we should draft a QB in round 2. I don't think this team is THAT far away

21. Tailgun

Tailgun John Edwards

22. Miamibyrd_24

Miamibyrd_24 Well-Known Member

I think competition at the cb position should be a focus this season, yeah Our D, is top notch, but with out our front pressure our db's would really be in the shadows. We have db's but not as a unit.

23. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

if a guy like Kevin Kolb is available in the 3rd round, I have no objection to taking him.

Kolb IMO could be the best QB in this draft class. Has all the physical tools you could ask in a QB, and has a very high IQ for the game. Had it not been for the fact that The Houston coach was Kolb's High School coach, K2 would have gone to the U.

24. TexanPhinatic

TexanPhinatic I Pity the Fool

How can people say QB is not a priority? DC is no garuntee for any sort of success-he could just as easily be cut as be reborn a probowler (easier in fact) and I dont see Joey as a long term starter. Sorry, our QB is not in any kind of good shape-we need to address it in a big way. If we are in position to take Smith or Brohm we have to, even if it means jumping up a few spots like denver did in the '06 draft for Cutler.

If not, we have to jump at a guy like Stanton or Kolb in a round 2-3-4. Everything else is good and all, but QB IS the general and leader of the team. We need a bigtime young playmaker in there, then go from there, not just keep plugging in random people and hoping for the best.

25. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Thank you #54...

We all know (or should know) that Saban will not get himself into the "draft for need" corner.

It's all about B.P.A. and I applaud that with all my heart. Why reach for someone when premium talent is on the board?

The Dolphins are not loaded at any position. In fact, the only position(s) I could see us totally ignoring in the 1st round are running back and safety.

The only way Saban picks for need is if he has to equally rated players at different positions.

Yes, we need O-line (left tackle, guard, maybe center), a speed reciever and a back up runner (depending on Ricky). That being said I still think we'll go heavy on defense again, perhaps 2 of our 3 day one picks, at least I hope we do. We need to continue to get younger on defense. We need a playmaking outside linebacker, a nose tackle and a high end cover corner. Youth, playmaking, size and speed are needed on defense.

Drafting a young Q.B. will be down the list. We have Daunte, Joey and Cleo. The only way I see us drafting a Q.B. is if we flip Harrington for a pick. Daunte, when healthy is our starter and Harrington COULD have some value if we feel secure in Daunte's health. If that happens we'll need a guy we can park behind Lemon and Daunte.

26. TexanPhinatic

Heh this amuses me. We have a QB who is coming off a major injury and has issues reading defenses and making good decisions, that we really have no idea if he can return to form or not-a guy who is at best game manager with questionable skills and (again) decision making-and a guy who has never started a game despite playing for the Miami Dolphins.

What part of this makes you feel secure at QB, ESPECIALLY if a franchise guy like Brohm or Smith is sitting there for us? You dont pass a franchise QB for what we have-unknowns and backups. Get yourself a playmaker and general to lead your team.

27. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Even if Daunte Culpepper is 100% healthy does not mean he is ready for the game. I would draft a quarterback as well in the 2nd round.

We will fill some of our needs through free agency; got a lot of money on the cap and we can afford to get players at the right price to fill those holes like an Eric Steinbach and an Asante Samuel.

28. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

Once again Vert and I agree

29. Tailgun

Tailgun John Edwards

It's funny to hear you keep repeating this like it's some kind of positive groupthink affirmation, like Quarterbacks Anonymous. You do know that your circle of believers is shrinking, right? I can only hope that Nick Saban is smart enough at this point to no longer be among them.

30. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Thank you #54...

We'll see....

31. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

You keep saying that Troy Smith and Jeff Brohm are franchise-type QB. Maybe you are right but they are unknowns associated with them as well. It took Smith three years to learn how to read defenses on the college level and he may need that long to learn to read defenses on the pro level. Do we do what Dallas did with Romo and wait or do we throw him to the dogs and see how he handles it? Brohm has shown that he has problems staying healthy as he has missed several games the past couple of years due to injuries and showed several times this year that when he receives pressure his decision making can be suspect. Don't get me wrong, I like both these players but I don't have blinders on when it comes to drafting prospects.

32. TexanPhinatic

OK, Im not entirely dismissing that DC can come back and be a playmaker, he might. But he might not. Probably wont, if we look at all the evidence. So to go into the season blindly thinking that hes the man is just silly.
    Harrington is a good guy and can be effective at times, but hes not a game breaker, a dominator. If we want him to start next year while Brohm or SMith sit on the bench and learn like Palmer or Rivers did, then thats fine!

Im not saying we need to get a starting QB who should be taking us to the SB in his first year. Im saying we have unknowns at QB more than any other position, and it needs addressing, especially as it is THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION on the team.

Smith or Brohm are guys that in 2-3 years can be putting up numbers like Brady and Palmer and Manning. Why dont people want a QB who can do this? It just baffles me.