We NEED Sammy Knight... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We NEED Sammy Knight...

NYRicky34

Practice Squad
Reaction score
As much as have improved our linebacking corps (Seau, Moore), our DT spot (Zgonina and Davern Williams who I like over Haley), and our nickel corner position (Buckley), I still feel like everything is incomplete without an upgrade at Safety, meaning Sammy Knight.

Knight is everything this secondary needs, he's got that killer instinct; hes a finisher. A lot of our guys will always be in perfect position, but for a secondary that talented, there are not that many big plays being made. Having this guy on your team means a run-defending prescence on the 3rd level; nobody is scared to run at Marion or Freeman; they are athletic, not tough and powerful. The other thing Knight would do is open up so many other things in the defensive backfield. With him on board, Freeman can focus on being the 3rd safety when there's an extra TE on the field, and he would probably get action at SS on obvious passing downs. He would also have more time to focus on learning the FS spot, which is obviously his position in the future. I have a good feeling Knight will sign, we need the guy and he wants to be here. Let's see what goes down....

Great post NYRicky. I agree totally. There is no fear by WRs to go over the middle. What happens if they do? They get pulled down by my man Brock, and Arturo. If they knew Sammy was going to make them pay for making that catch, it makes it that much mentally tougher to make that catch......

I like Marion myself..

Just tell his ass to hit harder ;p.

How old is he now anyway? He's gettin up there..

Marion is a play maker..he's got good instincts, so does Knight....this would be a great tandem in the rear...I still like autoro for speed...I'd love this tripple thread combo..Please sign Sammy..we got you next year on the money end..:D

Yes please get him here. Madison,Surtain,Marion,Knight. An All-Pro secondary. I would love this secondary...this would make us that much better because the WRs would be scared to go across the middle, and that could mean dropped passes or INTs at the end of games.

I am getting tired of hearing about it. It is not up to the Dolphins, it's up to Sammy Knight. If it happens, it happens, if not, oh well. We can only offer what we can afford and if the Packers offer him more, he would be a fool not to take it.

Last Friday, current strong safety Arturo Freeman said anyone joining the team at this point would need a long time to learn the defense.

Wannstedt does not share those concerns.

''He is one of the smartest players we have had through here in free agency. The learning part and being ready to play would not be an issue,'' Wannstedt said.

Sounds like Freeman is bitter...I hope this only effects him in a positive way, making him work harder.

Here is the full from the Miami Herald(latest update)

Posted on Wed, May. 07, 2003

DOLPHINS NOTEBOOK
Dolphins make offer to safety Knight
Packers also seek former All-Pro
BY JASON COLE
jcole@herald.com

Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt said the team has made a contract offer to free agent safety Sammy Knight in hopes of upgrading the secondary with the former Pro Bowl player.

The offer appears to be in response to one Knight received from Green Bay.

Knight was supposed to visit the Packers in the past few days, but he has delayed the trip because of the birth of his daughter Samone last Wednesday.

Knight opted out of a contract that would have paid him about $1.5 million this season.

The Dolphins want to sign him to a deal worth closer to the league minimum ($530,000) this season.

''Obviously, we're talking about a football player who was a starter last year who opted out of a big contract,'' Wannstedt said. ``We would like to have him on this team, but we have to do something we can afford.

``Right now, we're not there on either end.''

ESPN Insider:

The Miami Dolphins have made an offer to free-agent safety Sammy Knight, but it's not close to the kind of money he'd like to receive. The Dolphins want to sign him to a deal worth closer to the league minimum ($530,000), but Knight just opted out of a contract in New Orleans that would have paid him about $1.9 million this season.

"Obviously, we're talking about a football player who was a starter last year who opted out of a big contract," Wannstedt told the Miami Herald. "We would like to have him on this team, but we have to do something we can afford. Right now, we're not there on either end."

The Dolphins have strong interest in Knight to compete for playing time at free safety or strong safety against Brock Marion and Arturo Freeman. The Green Bay Packers are interested in Knight as well, though they aren't believed to have offered much more than Miami. But if Knight is forced to sign a below-market deal, he'll want to do it for a team that will give him a chance to start.

In Green Bay, he would likely have the starting job handed to him. He would start in place of strong safety Marques Anderson, whose play regressed in the last two months of last season.

Anderson's backup is Antuan Edwards, and while he is talented, his injury history makes him a question mark. Plus, Anderson is currently sidelined with a pulled hamstring, and while there is a chance that he could be ready for the June minicamp, there's no guarantee. Add to that the fact the Packers didn't draft a safety, and you have a perfect situation for Knight.

Gary Uberstine, Knight's agent, didn't discuss his client's contract talks in detail, but he did say that his client is going to be patient.

"He wants to get to the right team in the right situation, so he's not going to panic and rush through this, and at this point, with similar contract offers, it looks like the right team is Green Bay. " Ubestine told the Herald.

Originally posted by WisconsinFan
ESPN Insider:

Gary Uberstine, Knight's agent, didn't discuss his client's contract talks in detail, but he did say that his client is going to be patient.

"He wants to get to the right team in the right situation, so he's not going to panic and rush through this, and at this point, with similar contract offers, it looks like the right team is Green Bay. " Ubestine told the Herald.

Ouch! I wonder if that is his agent posturing in the press in an attempt to get the Dolphins to offer more money.

LOL nice name Danny , I love it... Classic :hail: pssst look at my sig... :D

Back
Top Bottom