We wanted to upgrade the secondary . . we just did!! Welcome Joey Porter!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We wanted to upgrade the secondary . . we just did!! Welcome Joey Porter!!

Kdawg954

My f*ck ups be the perfect mistakes
Club Member
Reaction score
Easily the biggest upgrade to the secondary was us signing Joey Porter today.

What . . . wait he is a LB right?

Yes, but his pass rushing presence and our ability to hopefully be able to be more effective on the blitz in 2007 will give the opposing teams QB less time to find a receiver, meaning less time that our secondary (especially our corners) are left on man coverage against a receiver.

There is no need to pick up FA's in the secondary . . because there is none worth mentioning. Obviously if u get some value in the draft, u always take a look, but as far as people to start . . . we have our guys.

CB:

Daniels
Will Allen
Goodman

S:

Bell
Jay Allen
Renaldo Hill

These guys are 28 and younger, and have spent a whole year together, and I expect plenty of improvement from them. And With Joey Porter teaming With JT, and Holiday and Roth on the Line . . . I mean this team may lead the league in sacks and pressures, and that is the greatest thing for this secondary. U don't need "shut down corners" if u can get pressure on the QB, u just need quality guys, and I think we have that.

Na, even though Porter excels at the linebacker and will defnitely take pressure off of our secondary. We still need a couple of good corners. I doubt this will happen. Because it seems we will go either defensive line or wide reciever at nine and and offensive lineman in the 2nd round. I'd really like the dolphins to do what the broncos did two years ago. Draft 3 consecutive cornerbacks in the draft. Sadly, one of them isn't here anymore....

Na, even though Porter excels at the linebacker and will defnitely take pressure off of our secondary. We still need a couple of good corners. I doubt this will happen. Because it seems we will go either defensive line or wide reciever at nine and and offensive lineman in the 2nd round. I'd really like the dolphins to do what the broncos did two years ago. Draft 3 consecutive cornerbacks in the draft. Sadly, one of them isn't here anymore....

Thing is, our secondary is young and we saw the talent they have. Yea they got burned some last year, but we don't know why they got burned. Was it a mix up in coverage, was it not understanding the play . . if we had some old veterans back there than sure, lets draft CB's all draft. But we got 6 guys that are 28 or younger who have been together for one year and will be back in the same system this year . . no Nick Saban harrassing them.

Goodman - fast, showed some good coverage skills
Will Allen - fast, great on run D
Travis Daniels - all around CB, not as fast as the other 2, but the best overall

Jason Allen - Big potential, this year he will prove it
Renaldo Hill - stepped up last year and did a credible job
Bell - Playmaker, who's weakness is in coverage, but makes the big play.

We can be solid with these guys, and I'm not saying that we neglect the secondary, but it IMO is not a big of a need than some people make it seem. We blitzed last year, and we did no penetrating, that hopefully is going to change this year, and with a year of experience to boot . . this secondary is going to suprise many.

Back
Top Bottom