weaknesses and strengths | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

weaknesses and strengths

Juice_56

Practice Squad
Reaction score
its in the dolphins part of the forum because im talking about how the fins can counter strengths and attack weaknesses. and no bashing!

only doing afc east rivals.
jets- weaknesses are a porous defense that has decent speed but lacks in strength. defense just plain isn't that good. counter with heavy doses of ricky followed by long, deep play action passes.
strengths- the jets offense is quite effective with curtis martin's sweeps and his cutbacks. chad and santana are a dynamic duo and must be stopped quickly before they control the tempo of the game. Id suggest countering with a nickel scheme instead of a 4-3 and man up one of our backup safeties on curtis martin, preferably edwards but howard can be physical enough too.

bills- weakness is an aging offense and a horrid line. bledsoe can still do damage but the offensive line must be sturdy. moulds still has gas in his tank and lee evans is a threat. travis henry is a good combination of speed and power and mcgahee may be making healthy rotations. counter with a kind of cover 2 scheme. pass rush bledsoe and make sure lee and eric don't ever get behind our slower safeties.
strength- they have a very solid defense but i without a shut down corner they may have a gap for chris chambers to rip open. ricky usually plays very well against the bills and id actually set the tempo with a short passing game and slowly start to hand the ball of to ricky until you are constantly pounding the ball at the end of the game.

pats-weakness...uuuh oh yeah. their linebackers are ancient, so is there secondary, they will still have problems with the run even with dillon. take advantage of it by using mcmicheal constantly to see if you can get that linebacker-tight end match up and have randy tear the field up.
strengths- a very,very, deep team who has playmakers everywhere and are very hard to defend against with their short passing game of dinks and dunks. whatever you do, do not tighten up. the pats ARE capable of big offensive plays and will key on that quickly. keep the defense in a steady 4-3 scheme and dont spread the field up. keep morlon on dillon because im sure belechek (spelling) will have fun with him in the passing game. using nickels wouldnt hurt but make sure you have the right guy matched up on a very deep new england receiving core.

well im done say what u want on how else to defeat these teams and correct me if u must:rolleyes:

Good topic. I'll bump...

NE Patriots - Looking at the Pats, it's very difficult to find any weaknesses. If I had to choose one area, it would be along the DL. Losing DT T. Washington was huge. The additions of DT's K. Traylor and V. Wilfork are solid, but neither are on the same level as TW IMO. As a result the run defense could suffer....

NY Jets - Defense. The DL is full of holes, and with DE J. Abraham still dealing with injury problems, they're going have trouble pressuring the QB in 2004 IMO. The LB's are solid, but the secondary is weak IMO....

Buffalo - OL. The Bills OL is the worst inthe NFL bar none. Adding OG C. Villarial will help, but he's only one player. The addition of OL coach J. McNally doesn't impress me either. His OL's in NY over the last couple of years have been horrendous. I don't see much change in Buffalo.

Miami - QB, OL. The Phinz still don't have a sure fire NFL QB IMO. JF is solid, but is far too inconsistant to be taken seriously. The OL should be improved with the new youth and added depth, but it's still an uncertainty at this time.

PHINZ RULE!!! :D

As far as Miami's O-line goes, I think there is a lot of potential there to be very solid, but it will take time for the players to come together and gel as a unit. Obviously I hope it will happen sooner rather than later, but there will definitely be some struggles and challenges as the players get used to each other. While definite signs of improvement may not show immediately, the line needed to get overhauled and considering the youth of the players, if the group can stay in intact I think it could eventually become a very strong unit.

I'm not sure i agree that the pats dline will suffer with big ted gone...They have
Ty Warren, Richard Seymour, Keith Traylor, Dan Klecko, and this years draft choices Vince Wilfork, and Marquise Hill and thats alot of young talent(not including Traylor) and how long will Ted hold up?? He hasnt played a full season since 2001.

I dont think the bills oline is that horrible either as they do have a statue for a qb who always is lookin to go deep, similar to our oline last year when griese was in. Factor in Moulds was hurt all of last year and they didnt even have a true number one wr, or an offensive coordinator that would stick with the run.

Here is what i would attack if i was in the loop.

PATS: They are all in the 3-4 and the blitz. Soft zone middle is weak. As well Lateral cut back run off tackle. This is done with Konrad and the TE making key blocks. Also the counter Tre maybe effective. Misdirection motion and quick slants inside.

YETS: They can not stop the run, they have new agressive young LBs. Easy enough to run on, play action should afford big plays. Screens would help in the middle if we could exicute them.

JILLS:Nothing fancy here. Smashmouth football man on man. Also the post and fade routes should kill them with winfield gone the swing to Konrad should be big if used.

On defense;

Pats: I would attack the flats with a rover on the HB. Also holf the middle with a spy on any te or HB realease. A corner blitz is something you rarely see us do and i think it could create a big play in a game with them.

YETS; Consistant pressure on Pennington. It has to be a rythm disruptive pressue. All has to be done with solid man and tackleing from the secondary. A zone blitz with JT dropping back in coverage a time or two could cause allot of confusion and maybe a turnover or two.

Jills, I would send the house at Bledsoe. Hit him early often and hard. Roll protection to moulds and cover evans in man. key the lbs on Henry and there ya go.

My take..

NY Jets...Offense..Only starter lost was Curtis Conway, and he was replaced by a better WR in J. McCareins. If Pennington stays healthy, the Jets should have no problems scoring points.

Defense...If J.Abraham & D.Robertson don't bounce back in a big way and provide a strong pass rush, they are going to get into shootouts every week. They definitely added speed to their LB corps. Eric Barton & Jonathan Vilma are much more athletic than Mo Lewis & Marvin Jones. They will lose some leadership and veteran savvy because Vilma will probably make rookie mistakes, but overall they improved at the position. The secondary is where the Jets are going to get killed. Losing out on Antoine Winfield was a big blow. Donnie Abraham & David Barrett are mediocre at best. Reggie Tongue is only a slight upgrade over Sam Garnes.

STRENGTHS- Entire Offense
WEAKNESSES- Secondary, D-Line

Bills...Offense..Mike Malarkey's coaching will help more than any personnel moves here. Remember, he made Kordell Stewart look pretty good for a while. He is very creative, but fortunately for us Fin fans he still has the "living statue" Drew Bledsoe. That will hinder him. The biggest problem remains the o-line. They have 4 of 5 starters coming back. Villarreal is a nice upgrade over sluggish Ruben Brown, but is it enough?

Defense..Didn't change much, but didn't need to. I still think that Winfield's loss will be felt. Vincent has more experience, but Winfield was probably the best CB in the NFL against the run. Just ask Ricky. Vincent is on the way down.

STRENGTHS- Entire Defense
WEAKNESSES- O-Line, Immobile QB, WR besides Moulds

Patriots..Offense..Adding Dillon is a nice upgrade over Antowain Smith and will make a big impact when N.E. plays poor run defenses. However, I don't believe that his addition will have a great impact when the Pats play teams like Buffalo, Miami, Seattle, Pittsburgh and Baltimore. The loss of Woody should hurt. I know that they play well together, but Light, Hochstein, Koppen, Andruzzi, and Ashworth simply aren't THAT great. I know I'll catch flack for saying that, but these guys are overacheivers who play is helped greatly by Tom Brady. Brady gets rid of the ball so efficiently and quickly, his o-line doesn't have to hold their blocks very long. I truely believe that their o-line can be exposed in some games. (it's funny how so many people here compain about the lack of stars on the current Dolphins o-line when New England has a bunch of no-names and castoffs.)

Defense....I also think that losing Ted Washington will hurt alot. Traylor is now officially a journeyman. Wilfork should be good, but to expect him to adequately replace the best run-stuffer in the entire NFL as a rookie is a bit much. Don't get me wrong, they should still be an outstanding defense. Their preparation is second to none..thanks to Bilichick. However, I do wonder when age will catch up to this unit. I also wonder if other teams can replicate what the Carolina Panthers did in the SuperBowl. They went no-huddle most of the 2nd half and they simply torched them. New England wasn't allowed to do all of their substitutions and you saw the result. I hope that is the key to figuring them out, otherwise the Pats are going to roll again.

STRENGTHS- Passing game, Front 7
WEAKNESSESS- Not much on paper..just T. Poole & Eugene Wilson

yeah, no huddle in miami's heat and not letting them pats plan anything. i forgot the bills signed vincent, i thought he went to seattle. but vincent is starting to slow and and chambers can out run him fairly easily i think. and as far as the pats d-line, keith traylor is a boulder like washington and is a veteran. i see new england trying to get an old run stuffer everyyear until they think ty warren or wilfork can start. i have a feeling ty warren may get switched to le or something.

The word that keeps swirling around our o-line is "potential".

What is really meant is.............we'll just have to wait and see.

I'd agree that our D is a question mark and last year they were brutal BUT we also played most of the year w/o our pro bowl pass rusher(J. Abe), our best DT(Evans) and our best CB(D. Abe) PLUS we had old and slow LBs. The LB corps is revamped and should be alot better, the DL has a ton of talent and Evans will be around all season and Robertson should be alot better in year 2 than year 1(remember that most rookie DTs struggle) and our secondary is better w/ a healthy McGraw and Barrett in place of beasley. I would say the ?'s on D center on the secondary, I feel very good about our front 7 but i'm concerned about the secondary. I think the potential is there but I'm not sold yet.

nyjunc said:
I'd agree that our D is a question mark and last year they were brutal BUT we also played most of the year w/o our pro bowl pass rusher(J. Abe), our best DT(Evans) and our best CB(D. Abe) PLUS we had old and slow LBs. The LB corps is revamped and should be alot better, the DL has a ton of talent and Evans will be around all season and Robertson should be alot better in year 2 than year 1(remember that most rookie DTs struggle) and our secondary is better w/ a healthy McGraw and Barrett in place of beasley. I would say the ?'s on D center on the secondary, I feel very good about our front 7 but i'm concerned about the secondary. I think the potential is there but I'm not sold yet.

i agree with your comments about the secondary, the front line will be better this year with evans and fergerson, robertson will improve and you can say
J. Vilma J.Abe that's if they use him in different schemes ala Derrick Brooks.

its going to be an interesting season in the AFC EAST once again this year..

Back
Top Bottom