Weis tells NFL feelers he's staying at Notre Dame | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Weis tells NFL feelers he's staying at Notre Dame

DonShula84

Sporty Don
Reaction score
Charlie Weis got some "feelers" from NFL teams during Notre Dame's bye weekend on his interest in returning to the pros. Weis said after the Irish practice Wednesday he told those in contact the same thing he told teams last year -- he's happy where he is.

"Everyone knows I'm staying here until they fire me or I die," he said. "I'm here for life. That's what I said I was going to do. So why would I not be a man of my word?"

Weis, in his first year coaching the Irish last season, signed a new 10-year contract during Notre Dame's second bye week of 2005 following reports that NFL teams were interested in talking with him. Weis, who as offensive coordinator helped the New England Patriots to three Super Bowl titles, originally had signed a five-year contract with his alma mater. Weis said the new contract he signed last season should have made it clear to NFL teams he plans to stay at Notre Dame

Hope he means it

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AgV0r5RlLbgxUCWasXguxZwcvrYF?slug=ap-t25-notredame-weis&prov=ap&type=lgns

I think he means it, at least for now.
I don't understand why any of the very successful college coaches go to the NFL. The money is better, but it's such a tougher grind. Coaches like Spurrier had it made in college. He was the king of Gainesville. I really respect Paterno and Bowden for realizing how good they have it and never making the leap. I guess it comes down to personality, like with Saban. He seems like the type of grinder that will get more out of the NFL.

Good luck with that one. Butch Davis basically swore he wasn't going anywhere-for about a week.:rolleyes: Then, off he went to suck in the NFL!:lol: I think Charlie will be there awhile though, he's still building up the program. :peace:

It's recruiting season. Of course he means it. He doesn't want to scare away any potential recruits!

I think he stays at ND until his son graduates from college. I remember hearing when he signed his extension, that his last year on his contract will be his sons last year of college. So his son gets a free education and he works to build up the program and then he might make the leap back to NFL.

10 years is a long time...I don't see him going back to the NFL, just like Pete Carroll at USC....the pay is pretty good, you don't have to deal with grumpie unhappy pro's, and you usually have more job safety.

finswin56 said:
I think he means it, at least for now.
I don't understand why any of the very successful college coaches go to the NFL. The money is better, but it's such a tougher grind. Coaches like Spurrier had it made in college. He was the king of Gainesville. I really respect Paterno and Bowden for realizing how good they have it and never making the leap. I guess it comes down to personality, like with Saban. He seems like the type of grinder that will get more out of the NFL.

You have to admit that it's the grind it out mentality that has given these coaches success in the first place. A lot of these guys thrive off new challenges, and IMO that's why Spurrier went to the NFL. It's why Saban came here. The challenge.

I could see Weis leaving perhaps if the perfect opportunity came along. He wont leave a great situation in ND for Oakland or some crap job. He makes plenty of money at ND so it would take more than an extra mill to get him out of South Bend.

Jaydog57 said:
Good luck with that one. Butch Davis basically swore he wasn't going anywhere-for about a week.:rolleyes: Then, off he went to suck in the NFL!:lol: I think Charlie will be there awhile though, he's still building up the program. :peace:
man...I remember when Butch left, he was a wanted and hated man in south florida..no one liked the Coker hiring :lol:

I dont think Charlie will go anywhere..that 10 contract is pretty big :eek:

HysterikiLL said:
You have to admit that it's the grind it out mentality that has given these coaches success in the first place. A lot of these guys thrive off new challenges, and IMO that's why Spurrier went to the NFL. It's why Saban came here. The challenge.
True about the first part, and I would add that Weiss' experience at the NFL grind helped him considerably. True about the challenge. But, I think that's where there's some seperation. They all want the challenge, but some guys (i.e. Paterno) realize what they have is special.

I've thought about the Weiss thing more today, and now I'm not so sure about it. I heard he was making comments about not going to the NFL because he couldn't afford it... it's money he doesn't have...
WTF is that??? That sounds like a guy begging for some offers to me.

Back
Top Bottom