Wes Bunting SI.com Senior Bowl top 10 prospects | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wes Bunting SI.com Senior Bowl top 10 prospects

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

After three days of practice by players in Mobile Alabama, the NFP ranks the Senior Bowl's top prospects for the upcoming NFL draft and breaks down which NFL teams are good fits for each.

1. DE Quinton Coples: North Carolina (6-6, 285)
Possesses the ideal build for a defensive lineman and the game really comes easy to him. He showcases the ability to overpower on contact, be sudden laterally and uses his length well to shed. If he can keep his motor running on high, he looks like a top-five caliber talent.
NFL Fits: Bears, Seahawks, Jaguars

2. OT Mike Adams: Ohio State (6-7, 320)
Looks the part of an NFL left tackle. He showcases good length, moves his feet well through contact and exhibits "plus" range toward the edge for his size. He gets himself into trouble at times by "catching" defenders at the point, but he has the skill set to mature into a good starter at left tackle.
NFL Fits: Chiefs, Bills, Lions

3. DE Courtney Upshaw: Alabama (6-2, 265)

He's a physical, compact pass rusher who turns speed into power well off the edge and can overwhelm on contact. Plus, has the versatility to play in both a 3-4 and 4-3 front at the next level.
NFL Fits: Bears, Cowboys, Chiefs

4. CB Janoris Jenkins: North Alabama (5-10, 182)

He was simply the most impressive cover man down here this week. Jenkins displays natural fluidity when asked to turn and run, stays low out of his breaks and is a bear to separate from. Looks like an NFL starter early on in the NFL.
NFL Fits: Lions, Bengals, Patriots

5. OG Cordy Glenn: Georgia (6-5, 348)

Glenn had some struggles this week at OT. However, when lined-up inside at guard he was downright dominant. He showcased good natural quickness off the ball, and was able to extend his arms and control blockers with ease through contact. Looks like a first-round caliber guard prospect.
NFL Fits: Steelers, Cowboys, Cardinals
6. DE Melvin Ingram: South Carolina (6-2, 276)

He's an impressive pass rusher who can get after the QB in a number of ways. Plus, he's versatile, as he can be effective from a number of spots and will likely get looks from both 3-4 and 4-3 teams.
NFL Fits: Eagles, Chargers, Packers
7. CB Brandon Boykin: Georgia (5-10, 183)

Despite his lack of ideal height, he's physical off the line, can turn and run, and did a better job as the week went on staying lower when trying to redirect. He loves to get into the face of opposing receivers and was a tough guy to separate from all week.
NFL Fits: Ravens, Browns, Broncos

8. DT Brandon Thompson: Clemson (6-2, 310)

He demonstrated the first step to consistently gain leverage at the point working the bull rush, kept his pad level down and displayed the ability to shed through contact. He has a slight wiggle laterally as well, but is more of a one-gap guy only, who can create penetration inside as either a 4-3 or 3-4 guy.
NFL Fits: Packers, Broncos, Panthers

9. RB Doug Martin: Boise State (5-9, 215)

Martin isn't a dynamic size/speed guy, but there aren't many negatives to his game. He plays fast, runs low, is natural through the line of scrimmage and has a skill set somewhat similar to former Alabama RB Mark Ingram. He might fall a bit because he doesn't run overly well, but he has the skill set to start in the league.
NFL Fits: Bengals, Jets, Buccaneers

10. QB Brandon Weeden: Oklahoma State (6-4, 218)
His age (28) will likely keep him from going as early in the draft as his talents deserve. But, there isn't a throw this guy can't make and he has the skill set and mental make-up to mature into a starter early in his NFL career. Looks like a solid second-round type value.
NFL Fits: Redskins, Dolphins, Browns

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...owl.top.10.prospects/index.html#ixzz1khrx7JXC

Today, when I heard Joe Philbin describe what he wanted to do on defense, I wonder if Melvin Ingram could be a fit. 3-4 rush guy, 4-3 defensive end, line him up inside in the nickel perhaps....

I love the explosiveness and size....

Coples is intriguing to me. The hot and cold meter bothers me some about Coples. However, I do like him. Ingram is getting a longer look as far as I am concerned.

Melvin is a little small as a DE but I think if we're lining him up to rush the passer from the DE position on the strong side with Wake on the weak side it could work. I think Melvin could develop into an outstanding OLB in the 3-4, along the lines of a LaMarr Woodley from Pittsburgh. Melvin is a very impressive athlete. IMO he's a little more athletic and dynamic than Upshaw but Upshaw brings other things to the table...it just depends what you're looking for.

As for Mike Adams, I think I heard Mike Mayock say that he has no punch and he's not like most of the lineman that come out of Ohio State in that he's not as gritty or powerful especially for a guy his size.

Cordy Glenn seems to be the guy most people were talking about on the O-line.

It occurred to me that with Minnesota announcing they'd like to trade out of their #3 spot and with them coaching in the Senior Bowl they may have their first round pick pegged and think they could get him at a later pick. I've been thinking they'd go either WR or LT with that first pick but if they're trading down it would almost have to be LT because Blackmon won't make it out of the top 5.

Janoris Jenkins is a baller. I'd love to have this guy on the phins and im an fsu fan. Hes every bit the prospect Joe Haden was and Haden has turned into a pretty damn good corner. We wont take him at 9 but I'd love to trade down some and grab him. Him and Vontae would make a nice combo and then we could move Smith to safety

Anyone think Adams will be there if we pick in the second? That would be a great pick IMO.

If I could get OC Brewster on Day two or three; I'd run the card up the podium without regret.

I had a solid four guys that I wouldnt' pass up, trent richardson, morris claiborne, justin blackmon and courtney upshaw... I've added coples to that list. ( barring luck and RG III purposely of course)...

if we landed one of these five with our first round pick, we'd be well on our way to a solid draft.

Back
Top Bottom