West Virginia coach picks wrong time to flirt | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

West Virginia coach picks wrong time to flirt

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score

Rich Rodriguez, meet Tommy Tuberville. For some reason, Rodriguez decided to talk about the open North Carolina job earlier this week.

Apparently, the same reason Tuberville spoke about Auburn getting hosed by the BCS before the Tigers even had a chance to bat their eyes and dance for pollsters when it mattered most.

Let me first say that both Rodriguez and Tuberville are two of the more talented, easy-going, likeable guys in the game. Their teams are among the nation's elite and their jobs are as secure as any in college football. But just as Tuberville made a mistake popping off about the potential of Auburn getting screwed by the BCS this season, Rodriguez did the same by not quashing rumors of his interest in the North Carolina job.

Instead of focusing on the game at hand  in this case, a huge Big East game at Louisville Thursday night  Rodriguez veered off course. It cost Tuberville in a loss to Arkansas. Will it cost Rodriguez and the Mountaineers in the biggest game of the season?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15521002/from/RS.4/

I don't see Rich leaving this year anyway. Not with Slaton and White coming back.

Maybe after NEXT season. He will have another big year next year which will raise his price tag even more

W.Va. coach still mad about performance at Louisville

West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez found little positive to talk about Friday.

Not after the third-ranked Mountaineers' national championship hopes were ripped away at No. 5 Louisville. Not after their 14-game winning streak, the nation's second longest, was stopped. Blown pass coverages. Special-teams lapses. A fumblefest and a hurt funny bone. Rodriguez saw it all in the 44-34 loss Thursday night.

"I want everybody to be mad. ... I'm mad," he said. "I'm going to be mad for another day or two. And then we move on. I don't need anybody to counsel us or tell us the good or the bad or the ugly."

The Mountaineers (7-1, 2-1 Big East) need some help to earn their fourth straight Big East title and a possible second straight Bowl Championship Series berth.

West Virginia knows it must finish strong. Three of the final four regular-season games are at home, starting Nov. 11 against Cincinnati.

"It's been a while since we lost," Rodriguez said. "But I've lost before and we'll lose again. We'll just do things the way we know best and move on."

The coach must figure out how a previously unbeaten team could allow 20 more points than any previous game this season and the most since last year's 46-44 win over Louisville in triple overtime.

Rodriguez was especially critical of his defense for being soft against Louisville.

"Other teams have defended them better than we did," Rodriguez said. "There were some plays that were too easy for them, in my opinion. It was too easy for them to pitch and catch and too easy to run.

"We weren't blitzing well. We were running right into people. We weren't breaking on the ball. We weren't rerouting any wide receivers. First-down play-action passes were something we knew were coming yet we act surprised by it. We've got some meeting to do and some corrections to make."
Rodriguez said he didn't believe the injury to running back Steve Slaton's left arm was long term.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2006/11/04/west-virginia-coach-still-mad-about-performance-at-louisville/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fncaaf%2Fnews%3B_ylt%3DApG8FGmb3fwtCTgYro.MTuIcvrYF%3Fslug%3Dap-t25-woundedwvirginia%26prov%3Dap%26type%3Dlgns&frame=true

WV loses a senior heavy O-line this year. Might be a good time to bolt.

UF Fin Kat said:
he'd be a lot happier as miami's next head coach!

Miami is NOT a good job anymore.

That is a nightmare to be honest at this point in time. Who wants that headache.

MikeO said:
Miami is NOT a good job anymore.

That is a nightmare to be honest at this point in time. Who wants that headache.
it's only a nightmare because of coker. as soon as he's gone, everyone's going to look at the program with renewed hope.

UF Fin Kat said:
it's only a nightmare because of coker. as soon as he's gone, everyone's going to look at the program with renewed hope.

no they won't!!

That job has too much going on around it (fair or unfair) and it's not a very good job for any established coach with a name and reputation.

Back
Top Bottom