What Every NFL Team's Rookie Class Must Accomplish in 2017 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Every NFL Team's Rookie Class Must Accomplish in 2017

Sons Of Shula

not a dull boy
☠️ Banned ☠️
Club Member
Reaction score
By Marcus Mosher

The Dolphins allowed the fourth-most yards in the NFL in 2016, so it was clear the team needed to add defensive talent to the roster. The draft fell perfectly for Miami, as it was able to grab three players at positions of need who could all start on day one.

With their first pick, the Dolphins grabbed defensive end Charles Harris from Missouri. While he's not the best player against the run, he knows how to get to the quarterback. He and Cameron Wake will make terrific bookends at defensive end. Harris should start right away for the Dolphins and contribute.

In the second round, the Dolphins addressed one of their biggest areas of need with linebacker Raekwon McMillan. His best spot may be as a weak-side linebacker, but the team will find a way to get him on the field as a rookie.

Cornerback Cordrea Tankersley was one of the best press-man cornerbacks in the class, and he shouldn't have a problem finding the field as a rookie. He's a much better player than starter Xavien Howard.

On Day 3, the Dolphins added guard Isaac Asiata to compete for a swing-guard role, while defensive tackles Davon Godchaux and Vincent Taylor should have no problem making the 53-man roster in 2017. Wide receiver Isaiah Ford joins a crowded receiver corps; his most likely destination is on the practice squad.

Overall, the Dolphins did well for themselves. If any of their Day 3 picks can contribute, this will be a much-improved team in 2017.

Full Article: What Every NFL Team's Rookie Class Must Accomplish in 2017

Nice read, some pretty bold statements in there, but I love the optimism!

Question about his assessment of McMillan; he says his best spot would be Will, but I think that would be the worst of the three spots for him, what say you?

I don't think Charles Harris will be an immediate starter, but that wouldn't necessarily be a big surprise either. I think he will see the field quite a bit.

Raekwon McMillan should be a starter and a three down linebacker.

I wouldn't be surprised if Isaac Asiata ends up starting.

Hayes will likely start, but if we get a lead we'll see a lot of Harris.

I can't wait to see what Raekwon brings to the table. Nobody has a good read on him athletically.

If Tankersly is much better than Howard, then look out. We all of a sudden have four viable boundary corners.

Isaac Asiata fell due to his age. To quote comedian Brian Regan, "Can life get any better, I submit that it cannot!"

Grabbed a couple loaves of bread from the value section in the form of 2 DT's...and couldn't resist the 99 cent peanut M&M's on sale at the checkout in Isaiah Ford.

Nice read, some pretty bold statements in there, but I love the optimism!

Question about his assessment of McMillan; he says his best spot would be Will, but I think that would be the worst of the three spots for him, what say you?

Our OLB spots are pretty much identical, so whether he plays strong or weak side is somewhat irrelevant. If we are serious about moving Alonso from the middle that would leave it to Timmons or Raekwon. The only reason I see at the moment that it might go to Timmons is his veteran experience and he's pretty much seen it all at this point in his career and may be quicker at ID'ing what the offense is doing. Even though Raekwon is coming from a 4-3 defense and Timmons has played his entire professional career in a 3-4, both will have a learning curve as far as the playbook goes a new defense and it's terminology.

Back
Top Bottom