What has Spurrier done to South Carolina | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What has Spurrier done to South Carolina

dfin54

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
nothing! No biggie offense.2 seasons wow.
All of a sudden he will be the savior to the Hurricanes?

he's playing with guys he didn't recruit. If you give him 4 years and give him HIS players, things would look different

MikeO said:
he's playing with guys he didn't recruit. If you give him 4 years and give him HIS players, things would look different

People just expect a program to turn around in the blink of an eye. Even Schiano had Rutgers sucking when he first got there. Now South Carolina is no 2001 Rutgers team . . . but when u play in the SEC, its kind of similar. They are still what about the 8th best team year in and year out . . . Florida, LSU, Auburn, UGA, Tennessee, Bama, Arkansas are always there, so it ain't a walk in the park.

With Miami, Spurrier will have a choice of better players, play in a weaker conference and focus on offense . . . which is what Miami despertely needs.

Not saying he is comming here, but I think he could be successful right away in this type of program.

Kdawg954 said:
People just expect a program to turn around in the blink of an eye. Even Schiano had Rutgers sucking when he first got there. Now South Carolina is no 2001 Rutgers team . . . but when u play in the SEC, its kind of similar. They are still what about the 8th best team year in and year out . . .

Rutgers was sucking LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG before Schiano got there. They were sucking for some 15-20 years before Schiano got there.

MikeO said:
Rutgers was sucking LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG before Schiano got there. They were sucking for some 15-20 years before Schiano got there.

Exactly, the point is . . . it took more than a year or 2 to turn that program around. U just not gonna come in and change something because you are a good coach. U have to implement systems, get your guys on the field, change attitudes . . . I mean the **** takes time.

Kdawg954 said:
Exactly, the point is . . . it took more than a year or 2 to turn that program around. U just not gonna come in and change something because you are a good coach. U have to implement systems, get your guys on the field, change attitudes . . . I mean the **** takes time.

it's all abotu the players. It takes a good 3-4 years at the least for even the BEST coach to get his players to fit his system.

I mean a "CHARLIE WEISS TYPE TURNAROUND" is very rare. And if you look at the teams ND has beat since Weiss has took over that turnaround isn't that impressive.

2 wins in 2 years over ranked teams.

MikeO said:

I......agree........with MikeO. Classic case of a good coach going to a small program where he has little to work with the first few years. Spurrier is a good recruiter and if he stays at S. Car, I think they'll be contenders before too long.

A contrasting example is the guy he could replace in Miami -- Coker won a Nat'l championship purely on Butch's recruits. You give Larry 4 years to recruit his own talent, and you effectively give him a long enough rope to hang himself with.

HysterikiLL said:
I......agree........with MikeO. Classic case of a good coach going to a small program where he has little to work with the first few years. Spurrier is a good recruiter and if he stays at S. Car, I think they'll be contenders before too long.

A contrasting example is the guy he could replace in Miami -- Coker won a Nat'l championship purely on Butch's recruits. You give Larry 4 years to recruit his own talent, and you effectively give him a long enough rope to hang himself with.

When Steve stops being a candidate for Miami, his recruiting will prolly improve too. They really will believe him when he tells them he will be the only coach they know in their time at SC. I've been pretty impressed with how much heart his kids are playing with. They gave the mighty Gators all they wanted at Ben Hill.

I've been shouting the Choker bad recruiting horn for three years, it pisses me off he is still there.

cnc66 said:
I've been shouting the Choker bad recruiting horn for three years, it pisses me off he is still there.

Well you had Butch Davis on the other side saying every big player that came to Miami when he (Butch) was coach was there because Larry recruited them.

So, who to believe........... either way Larry is gone!!

Back
Top Bottom