What is Gase's Type of Player? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is Gase's Type of Player?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
We've had two off-seasons now to judge the type of players Adam Gase prefers. I don't know if there's an absolute at this point, but this off-season was clearly about getting physical players while last year seemed to focus on offensive mismatch types. Here's what we've seen in two years, keeping in mind that the team has had to fill quite a few gaping holes.

Quarterback
Gase inherited Tannehill, which I still believe was a big selling point to him coming to Miami. Tannehill has just about everything you look for at the position with toughness and athletic ability among his strong suits. Gase has worked with Tannehill on his footwork, which improved a lot last season as did his deep game. It seems like Tannehill could have an elite season or two with Gase aboard. In the draft, Gase took Doughty, a smart and accurate quarterback who could end up as a solid backup but isn't assured a roster spot either. Moore remains a worthy backup.

Running Back
Ajayi was already here and Gase drafted the very athletic Drake, who is more of a third down back but a big play guy with nice speed. Drake also gives the team a good kick returner. Gase tried to get Anderson from Denver, but the Broncos matched the Dolphins contract offer. Interesting now considering how Ajayi developed.

Offensive line
Tunsil was the first draft pick of the Gase era. He rates as one of the most athletic left tackle prospects I have ever seen. Asiata, a fifth rounder this year, isn't very athletic but is a strong, physical people mover at guard with a finishers attitude. Lots of stop-gap types seemingly preferring tackle to guard imports. Looks like Gase is willing to go with different types on the offensive line.

Wide Receiver/Tight End
This unit already had Landry, Parker and Stills when Gase took the position. Stills and Parker were both at least a bit of a question mark and Gase went with Carroo (team traded up) in the 3rd round and Grant in the sixth in his first draft. Caroo is a physical wide receiver who didn't play much in year one, while Grant has big play ability and amazing stop and go speed but is tiny by NFL standards. This year Miami also loaded up with late rounder Ford and quite a few collegiate free agents. Does Gase like wide receivers the way Jon Gruden used to stockpile quarterbacks? The Dolphins traded for tight end Thomas, who excelled with Gase in Denver as one of the better seam busters in the NFL. That would appear to be his type of tight end.

Defensive Line
Gase worked with Nick Saban and John Fox so it will be interesting to see what imprint he puts on the defensive side of the ball. Miami spent three draft picks on the defensive line in this draft, including Harris in round 1. Harris has the ability to be one of the top pass rushers in the entire draft class. Gase inherited a pretty good defensive line with Suh and Wake as the anchors. He initially employed bigger players at DE with Mario Williams there until it became clear that Branch was the better option. That is interesting because it seems more in line with the philosophy of Saban and Fox.

Linebackers
McMillian in round 2 this year is a physical run stuffer, who tested well at the combine and is a high character guy. Timmons also fits that physical mold, while Alonso is athletic and instinctive, but not a good take on guy.

Defensive Backs
A second round pick a year ago, Howard is good in run support and has a chance to develop into an excellent overall corner. Was he more of a Vance Joseph type, or does Gase prefer bigger, physical corners? In the recent draft, Miami took Tankersley who is big and athletic but needs a lot of work in the run game. Lippett and Jones were both already on the roster. McDonald was brought in this off-season as a free agent. He is very interesting as one of the more physical safeties in the NFL.

One thing is certain we still have too many soft and finesse type players on our roster. Just watch the playoff game vs. Pittsburgh and see how the Steelers smashed us in the face on both sides of the ball. Our team looked pretty damn weak. That crap needs to change if we expect to go anywhere in the playoffs in the future.

One thing is certain we still have too many soft and finesse type players on our roster. Just watch the playoff game vs. Pittsburgh and see how the Steelers smashed us in the face on both sides of the ball. Our team looked pretty damn weak. That crap needs to change if we expect to go anywhere in the playoffs in the future.

I believe Gase and the front office realized that by what the team did in the off-season. It was all about becoming more physical, which I hope continues.

Special teamers on defense and no starting QB is pretty tough to overcome in a road playoff game.

We were a wee bit light when we played Pittsburgh, missing a lot of guys.

Yeah, other teams were too. But to go from what we were to what we are, missing several top players....

I think Gase knows what to do. We are all kinds of set on O (we'll see with the line). Juice up the D and we should be there.

Gase loves tall receivers, tall press corners and any skill player that presents a mismatch.

He hates bad attitudes and selfish play.

He likes chess pieces he can rely on.

He wants a team full of Alpha males because that's what he is. He wants leaders and consistent players.

I think Gase likes players who are accountable. Players not here just to collect a check. I love that he cut the two OL last year after they wet the bed in a game. Play soft and get cut. You have to be accountable for your actions.

Back
Top Bottom