What is the Crimson Tide??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is the Crimson Tide???

Finch83

Starter
Reaction score
I live in the midwest and dont have a lot of knowledge on Alabama's nickname. Maybe someone on here can help me know why they are called the Crimson Tide.
I also want to know why they have an elephant as their mascot.

The nickname "Crimson Tide" originated with the 1907 Iron Bowl, which occurred during or shortly after a particularly rainy day. Auburn, heavily favored to win, was forced to accept a tie with Alabama after a hard-fought game. Describing the game, one sportswriter described the offensive line as a "Crimson Tide", in reference to their crimson jerseys as they moved down field in the rain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_Of_Alabama

:dunno: I always thought was a reference to that time of the month.

Why an elephant though?
An Atlanta sportswriter was desribing the 1930 championship team that went 10-0 and won the Rose Bowl and Championship. I'll include the insert below...the elephant stuck and "Big Al" later became the mascot.

"Bama Coach Wallace Wade started his second team that was plenty big and they went right to their knitting, scoring a touchdown against one of the best fighting small lines I have ever seen. Ole Miss was truly battling the big boys for every inch of ground.
At the end of the quarter, the earth started to tremble, there was a distant rumble that continued to grow. An excited fan in the stands bellowed, "Hold your horses, the elephants are coming," and out stamped the Tide varsity.
It was the first time I had ever seen them and the size of the entire eleven nearly knocked me cold, men that I had seen play last year looking like they had nearly doubled in size." - Everett Strupper, Atlanta Journal

Alabama is the elephants because the company that made their luggage for the rose bowl had a logo of an elephant.

Alabama is the elephants because the company that made their luggage for the rose bowl had a logo of an elephant.
That actually came after the nickname began to stick via the Atlanta sportswriter. Those elephant tags were placed on the luggage later that same yr.

Back
Top Bottom