What Offense Will We Run? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Offense Will We Run?

When Collier talks about his offensive philosophy, it sounds a lot like what Charlie Weis is doing up in New England. Quick reads, quick passing, attacking an opponents weaknesses and making them adjust to you. But where it differs is the fact that Collier wants to take a lot of shots down the field. And he's got the WRs to do it.

If we stay in a base formation a lot, it could be a great thing because it could lead to a lot of deception. But when I read Collier talking about attacking weakness and making the defense adjust, I pictured us running several different formations. Specifically spread formations (again, like New England does to us). But if he does plan to stay in base more, I think we'll see McMichael splitting out into the slot, getting a LB out in space, and things of that nature. Still in base, but creating and taking advantage of mismatches.

And if our OL is indeed improved, perhaps we'll see more of the cross blocking and pulling that we saw so much of in 2002. And hopefully, since Collier seems to hint that Norv's influence will still be felt in his offense, we'll continue to see the misdirection and heavy motion that was such a staple of Norv's offense (even when the OL tanked).

I was at the jags game too. i loved it when they put in their second string quarterback...Jay Fiedler....

Muck said:
When Collier talks about his offensive philosophy, it sounds a lot like what Charlie Weis is doing up in New England. Quick reads, quick passing, attacking an opponents weaknesses and making them adjust to you. But where it differs is the fact that Collier wants to take a lot of shots down the field. And he's got the WRs to do it.

If we stay in a base formation a lot, it could be a great thing because it could lead to a lot of deception. But when I read Collier talking about attacking weakness and making the defense adjust, I pictured us running several different formations. Specifically spread formations (again, like New England does to us). But if he does plan to stay in base more, I think we'll see McMichael splitting out into the slot, getting a LB out in space, and things of that nature. Still in base, but creating and taking advantage of mismatches.

And if our OL is indeed improved, perhaps we'll see more of the cross blocking and pulling that we saw so much of in 2002. And hopefully, since Collier seems to hint that Norv's influence will still be felt in his offense, we'll continue to see the misdirection and heavy motion that was such a staple of Norv's offense (even when the OL tanked).

We got the wide receivers to do it but I'm afraid that that teams are getting more elite defensive backs in this league now a days. SPecially since we are playing in the afc east. We face some good pass coverage teams this season with above average passing defenses.

juniorseau55 said:
We got the wide receivers to do it but I'm afraid that that teams are getting more elite defensive backs in this league now a days. SPecially since we are playing in the afc east. We face some good pass coverage teams this season with above average passing defenses.

I think if our QBs can make their reads quickly (and accurately), somebody WILL be open. Between Boston and Chambers, you're going to have to double one of them all the time. And that leaves Randy, Ricky, Konrad running out of a base set.

As for secondaries, I'm not too worried about New York's. We can potentially decimate that (again). Buffalo is pretty good (but we haven't had trouble getting open against them...or Troy Vincent). New England is obviously the best we'll face.

Muck said:
I think if our QBs can make their reads quickly (and accurately), somebody WILL be open. Between Boston and Chambers, you're going to have to double one of them all the time. And that leaves Randy, Ricky, Konrad running out of a base set.

As for secondaries, I'm not too worried about New York's. We can potentially decimate that (again). Buffalo is pretty good (but we haven't had trouble getting open against them...or Troy Vincent). New England is obviously the best we'll face.

Just hearing that we'll play new england again scares me now a days. We have improved our pass coverage to some extent. We have replaced underachievers with future achievers. I do believe that we have two dimensions at receiver. A guy who can make tough catches in traffic and a guy who can make plays after the catch but isn't as great as a catcher as his other teamate.

Well, if the improvements are made in this direction we should be allot better. I still feel that because of limited touches konrad has had limited output. I feel Collier might use him more like the moose in the old cowboys days.

Is it September yet?

:drool:

I can't believe they put 8 months betweeen the Super Bowl and Week 1.

Am I the only person who has noticed this scheduling screw up?

We will continue to be a RUN FIRST offensive team where Ricky Williams is the centerpiece (not the QB). However, Ricky will have to get a few more plays off this year and Minor will have an important, yet minor role to play.

There will be some adjustments from last season. We will be re-committed to the 2 WR set and re-emphasize getting passes to the TE and RB's.

The passing game will have a quicker rhythm. The seven step drops killed us last year. Those things that did not work last year will be abandoned. The QB must be ready to deliver the ball as soon as he completes his set-up.

Play-action will still be a major emphasis. It will help to open up the center of the field for the TE.

The addition of David Boston will have a great effect. Most DB's will stay back off the line of scrimmage and that will open up the option of throwing quick Nitro passes and giving Boston a chance to explode downfield.

Chambers will continue to be the #1 target in the passing game and needs to average a minimum of 5 receptions per game.

All in all it will be a clock eating offensive line driven offense. Yet, it should be more explosive than last season with the addition of Boston and quicker rhythm passing game.

i'd like to see the fins run some two-tight end sets...we know what mcmichael is capable of, and donald lee looks like he'll be a good one as well.

juniorseau55 said:
Just hearing that we'll play new england again scares me now a days. We have improved our pass coverage to some extent. We have replaced underachievers with future achievers. I do believe that we have two dimensions at receiver. A guy who can make tough catches in traffic and a guy who can make plays after the catch but isn't as great as a catcher as his other teamate.

Why be scared? The rest of the league has far more problems with NE than we do....It seems to me in recent years we either blow them out, barely lose due to some ****up of our own (missed FG, bad coaching call), or we lose a close, competitive game. If they get 10% better & we improve 15% (farther to go :rolleyes: ) then they're nothing to fear...

Back
Top Bottom