What the Alex Smith Deal Means for Miami... | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What the Alex Smith Deal Means for Miami...

Your sample size is exactly 2...

It hasn't happened very often. Can you think of any other cases like that? I just used what i can remember. Their may be more that I missed.

Thing is I think we're wasting time talking about all this. I fully expect Ryan to be our QB in 2018 LIKE IT OR NOT. It's so hard to find a QB in the NFL, the guys coming out this year probably have a much bigger chance at being busts than any good. Ryan has shown many signs he can be and is a good QB, I think we'd be foolish to spend a high pick on one this year. We should have a contingency plan for Ryan re-injuring his knee but the rookies are likely not ready to play anyway. If we signed Cousins and moved on from Ryan I may turn in my fan card. Just think that would be a ridiculous move.

It hasn't happened very often. Can you think of any other cases like that? I just used what i can remember. Their may be more that I missed.
Drew Brees with Phillip Rivers behind him? Dumbest move in SD Chargers history!

I'm sure that played a part in it also. Football teams are pretty complex. No one factor explains anything. Just showing that successful teams have done it in the past and it has benefited them. You can't deny that.

I can still say that it hasn't happened when the incumbent had less than 10 years in the league.

Thing is I think we're wasting time talking about all this. I fully expect Ryan to be our QB in 2018 LIKE IT OR NOT. It's so hard to find a QB in the NFL, the guys coming out this year probably have a much bigger chance at being busts than any good. Ryan has shown many signs he can be and is a good QB, I think we'd be foolish to spend a high pick on one this year. We should have a contingency plan for Ryan re-injuring his knee but the rookies are likely not ready to play anyway. If we signed Cousins and moved on from Ryan I may turn in my fan card. Just think that would be a ridiculous move.

I actually agree with you. Tannehill is the QB and we should draft some defensive help at 11. But I'm just making a point to the people that think drafting a QB it is stupid and could never happen. It has happened.

Drew Brees with Phillip Rivers behind him? Dumbest move in SD Chargers history!

Somewhat different. Brees was still on rookie contract. Smith and Brady on 3rd or 4th and Tannehill on 2nd.

But yeah that was a mistake by the Bolts.

I actually agree with you. Tannehill is the QB and we should draft some defensive help at 11. But I'm just making a point to the people that think drafting a QB it is stupid and could never happen. It has happened.

Miami drafting a QB in the first would be stupid. It is unlikely to happen and I predict it won't.

Both QB's rating went up over 10 points when threatened. You can believe what you want. To me it made a difference.
I'm sorry but Jimmy was drafted to be Tom's back up. Not to challenge him for the starting roll. And Tom was never threatened by Jimmy, that's just ludicrous

Based on Brees' performance up to that point, they had little choice.

Hugh? His 4th season was better than anything Tannehill has ever done.

And thanks to ISS for bring up Brees and furthering my point. Sample size is now 3 for 3
Brees went from 67 passer rating to over 100 when threatened with Rivers joining the team.

How many more restrictions and modifiers do you want to add to your criteria?
He's been saying this for a long time. In another thread I can't remember which one but he laid out the last 10 to 15 years of drafting quarterbacks with an incumbent in place. I'd like to think he could post it again.

He's been saying this for a long time. In another thread I can't remember which one but he laid out the last 10 to 15 years of drafting quarterbacks with an incumbent in place. I'd like to think he could post it again.
Thank you, in fact I posted this in August 2017

Exactly correct. Not one of the "draft a QB early" crowd can point to a team that drafted a QB early while already having a relatively young, solid starting QB. None.

You would think that if their proposed approach to managing the position is the right way, they'd have loads of examples of teams doing it. The opposite is true.

Back
Top Bottom