What's wrong with Dolphins Run Defense??? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's wrong with Dolphins Run Defense???

Coming into the season, we KNEW that Ellerbe and Wheeler were a downgrade in run defense... but they're been worse than advertised. Coupled with the fact that neither has been particularly effective in pass defense, and these were easily the two worst signings of the offseason (as opposed to Wallace, who hasn't been terrible just not a good value).

I was most frustrated with the move because both Burnett and Dansby had their strongest years with us and THEN we cut them... it took them 3 years to be effective and you cut them after their effective year? Just doesn't make sense.

We are bad! But, we are not that bad.

I think there just isn't a lot of separation between the teams ranked 20-30 in this case. SD is the only team truly terrible at rush defense ranked at 32.

I think there just isn't a lot of separation between the teams ranked 20-30 in this case. SD is the only team truly terrible at rush defense ranked at 32.

This may sound odd. But, could another reason we are so bad at Run Defense and according to the same website good at pass defense is because in practice our offense doesn't really revolve around the running game, But rather the Passing Game? Meaning, between not have strong runners in L.Miller and D.Thomas our run defense never truly got tested in the offseason and as a result weren't really made aware of its weaknesses until the season began?

According to football outsiders we're ranked 30th in rush defense whereas we were 8th last year.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

PFF had us at #10 last year, and #17 this year. However, this is based on the average of individual player grades vs the run. High grades for Starks (+13.5) and Soliai (+9.8) negate the bad grades for Wheeler (-8.4), Ellerbe (-6.3), and Jones (-4.4). I is not based on team stats.

Dansby and Burnett were good, but getting to the wrong side of 30. I would have kept them this year and found their replacements this offseason.

Dansby and Burnett were good, but getting to the wrong side of 30. I would have kept them this year and found their replacements this offseason.

IF I thought this team had a legit shot to contend this year, I would have done the same. Did not see it, and have to believe the team felt the same with a 2014 target. No reason to wait.

This may sound odd. But, could another reason we are so bad at Run Defense and according to the same website good at pass defense is because in practice our offense doesn't really revolve around the running game, But rather the Passing Game? Meaning, between not have strong runners in L.Miller and D.Thomas our run defense never truly got tested in the offseason and as a result weren't really made aware of its weaknesses until the season began?

Interesting theory, I'm inclined to agree on both sides of the ball.

Tackling tackling tackling. Watch Carolina on Sunday. They tackle. First man to the ball usually bring him down.

IF I thought this team had a legit shot to contend this year, I would have done the same. Did not see it, and have to believe the team felt the same with a 2014 target. No reason to wait.

If Jeff Ireland didn't think the team had a legit shot to contend, then he is way too comfortable in his job. He had enough resources in the offseason to make this team a contender. KC had the #1 overall pick in the draft and now they have the best record in the NFL. You can be a contender overnight if you know what the **** you are doing.

Don't give him any excuses for downgrading at LB.

Think replacing Dansby the previous off season was the right choice, replacing Burnett was a bad decision.

Replacing Dansby was terrible as well. Solid tackler and a true leader on defense, whereas that guy doesn't really exist right now. Remember, Dansby was literally playing with one arm last season with that torn triceps. He's playing at a Pro Bowl level in Arizona right now.

The only thing we did was upgrade the speed of our LB's which in theory make them "better blitzers", however they can't shed blocks, they are terrible tacklers, they are downgrades in coverage and they lack the leadership qualities we had with Dansby/Burnett.

On topic, Outside of our 2 new Linebackers just not being quality tacklers and not being able to get off blocks to make tackles . . . .our DE's have been have regressed tremendously on run defense. To be fair, Cam Wake seems to be battling through nagging injuries and clearly seems to be saving himself during games to come up with timely pass rushes . . . but yea, I haven't seen him get this manhandled on run defense since his first season in 2009. Vernon, IMO, would be a solid 3-4 SOLB, but at DE he is less effective at setting the edge. He's still been ok, but better last year when they had him in more of a hybrid role. Moving Odrick inside took alot away from the run D on the edge. In the middle we've been fine, damn good to be honest, we just don't have much support behind them. Jones has been a huge disappointment . . . we thought he'd be a surefire replacement for Y. Bell and he's proven he can't hold Y. Bells jockstrap in run defense so far this season.

Right now, this team would definitely be a better fit as a 3-4 team, with Misi and Ellerbe in the middle, Jordan and Wake on the edges, Wheeler backing up the interior and Vernon backing up the outside LB's . . . .Starks, Soliai and Odrick up front.

Back
Top Bottom