Whats your rebuild blueprint for the Fins? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Whats your rebuild blueprint for the Fins?

That’s worked great for us so far....

How does not drafting a QB impact drafting the line? You stated we struggle to draft lineman or sign lineman, then say we should not to draft a QB until we have that group established...so by your thought process, we should never draft a QB?

Last edited:
No blue print until we played a few games. With all the changes so close to the regular season they need to have a few games to find themselves. The first three games should be treated like pre season games at this point.

Well we will be 0-4 through the "preseason" games. I will let you in on the little secret.

That’s worked great for us so far....

So have an average line with a below average QB. That should work out great. It not like we don't have experience with the first pick and taking someone other than a QB................Mr. Long says hello.

How does not drafting a QB impact drafting the line? You stated we struggle to draft lineman or sign lineman, then say we should not to draft a QB until we have that group established...so by your thought process, we should never draft a QB?

We shouldn’t draft a QB until the line is addressed. No QB will be successful behind this line. We have had a patch work line for a decade.

We shouldn’t draft a QB until the line is addressed. No QB will be successful behind this line. We have had a patch work line for a decade.

Pass on the best QB prospect in the past 7-8 years to draft oline? Sounds like the dolphins. Bold move lets look back at the 2008 draft and see how that worked out for us. Bad thing is that Long was a great olineman for the 5 years that he played. That worsens your argument even more.

If Rosen turns out to be good, the Dolphins hit the lottery. If that happens and we net the 1st overall pick, we’re in business boys! I hate being that guy, but I do know Tua’s dad wants his son to have 3 full seasons as a starting QB at bama.

How I would like to see the 1st 4 picks of 2020:

1st overall - build a smokescreen and hype it up. Trade back to 2nd overall, pick up more picks - select Chase Young.

2nd (1st round) - OL. We all know the OL is the worst we’ve seen it in years. We have to invest.

3rd ( 1st round) - 33rd overall pick - we trade a 2021 4th round pick to swap into the 1st round pick (31/32 overall). This gives the Dolphins that 5th year team option for that player. Select - DB

(2nd round) - OL. Have you seen our OL?! LOL

Watson, Wilson, Rogers, Luck have all played behind poor lines and their teams are consistently discussed as fighting for playoff spots and getting in the playoffs. The QB is the only position that can make up for the shortcomings of other areas. Tua has an excellent feel for the pocket and plus athleticism to make plays...you take that rare combo and use your other 10 picks and 120 mill to find a solid o-line. You never know if you will ever get an opportunity to draft an elite QB prospect, but I can guarantee that every draft will have a good lineman at the position we draft at.

Pass on the best QB prospect in the past 7-8 years to draft oline? Sounds like the dolphins. Bold move lets look back at the 2008 draft and see how that worked out for us. Bad thing is that Long was a great olineman for the 5 years that he played. That worsens your argument even more.
Quite a bit of hyperbole in your "best QB prospect" comment. I just used my Google machine and found a list of QB prospects from the past decade and it is littered with several "can't miss" prospects that flopped.

It will take more than one off season to right this ship. Until they can build the line on both sides of the ball, no QB will succeed.

EDIT: Not sure what is up with the link showing up like that but I think you can still get to the article.

Last edited:
Draft Tua.
1 Tua

With the 2nd 1st, I'd want OT, Jeudy, or T. Wallace. If the OT I want and Jeudy are off the board, and I think I can get Wallace at 33, I'd turn my attention to CB or Center. So:

1 Tua
1 W Little
2 T Wallace

At this point, I would still focus my attention on OL, WR, and CB. Biadasz and Humphrey are likely to be off the board, but Erik McCoy fell to the 2nd, and it's early in the process. At WR, I could see J. Reagor falling, and if not, Lynn Bowden Jr is dynamic and a great fit (former QB, who is both an excellent deep threat and terrific after the catch). Bowden could be there in the 3rd because of UK's poor offense, though. Like WR, this CB class appears to be stacked, and I'd be open to falling talent. So:

1 Tua
1 Little
2 Wallace
2 Humphrey (placeholder for falling OL talent)
3 L Bowden Jr
3 P Adebo (placeholder for falling CB talent)

Tyler Johnson, Isaiah Hodgins, and Justin Jefferson are other WR's I'd give a look in the 3rd. Haven't mentioned it, but I do agree with the majority that much of the OL will need to be built via FA.

You want to put your new QB in the best situation to succeed. With such an abysmal offense, that will require a heavy focus on offensive talent. If you don't go this route, 1) Why? 2) You may as well start Rosen in 2020 in an effort to shield Tua from this mess, but, again, why?

QB, OL, and WR/TE will make or break the rebuild, and they'll all help or hurt each other. DL won't matter at all - not even a little - if the core pieces of the offense aren't in order.

What's your opinion of O'Shea? I know its hard to even have opinion because he's never called plays. But do you have any feel for him at all? Nobody on here even mentions him. I'd really like to get a proven OC in here unless O'Shea really shows signs of being adequate. My pipe dream is that the 49ers underachieve and we can lure Shanahan in here somehow. I'd dump all kinds of cash at him. The prospect of working with Tua could lure a big name in here.

Ask every GM in the NFL what they would do and 32 out of 32 would say to take the QB.

Of course, all you have to do is look at the missing piece here as we churn through FO people and coaches.

Watson had basically won that game, despite that OL play.

...sounds like (according to the draft gurus) OL is not projected to be strong in '20.

Get the QB, then best (impact) at DE CB WR LB wherever because we need 'em all!

Gotta grab 1-2 OL via FA and piece together a serviceable group.

Come back and do it again in '21.

We should absolutely draft a QB and we will, again the two are not mutually exclusive.

I cant believe we are set up in this position and people ‘still’ think we shouldn’t draft the QB.

All you had to do is watch Monday night game- ads in Zona- this franchise needs the QB

This is all going to depend on who declares for the 2020 draft. Herbert is the only one who is a sure thing to come out and I am not convinced about him being worthy just yet.

We will have to be prepared for several scenarios.

Jordan Love, Tua & Fromm are all juniors and Lawrence is a sophomore. The first three might get a look at a franchise (or two) , seemingly in disarray and go back for their senior years. A few may even struggle a bit (as a few have already shown) and drop in value.

Let's say we draft #1 and we are not sold on the QB's who actually come out. I would try to trade down to get a 2021 1st round pick and then take the best player out of the OL, CB & Edge group. I would use all those picks to fix the OL first and foremost with an edge player up there high as well.

We can also spend some money next year as long as they are smart about it and stop giving out stupid contracts.

I would go after a premier LT in the draft so we get that rookie contract. Same for all the "expensive" positions. LT, CB, QB, Edge. It would be nice to draft a center as well but we could possibly get a C and a RG in FA assuming Dieter works out and we don't need a LG too.

Going to need a safety as well.

Looks like Davis is here to stay but he should probably get moved back to RT. I am still a little surprised by yet another early extension.

We could also be in a similar situation in 2021 but who knows where we will be drafting. Tua will come out and we will have some extra picks for ammo but Lawrence could go back to school and not come out until 2022.

If we have any chance at pairing Jerry Jeudy with Tua.... pull the trigger. I doubt the Texans suck that bad, but if we're close enough to where moving up with their pick won't cost too much then that's my preference.

I'd sign at least 2 starting caliber OL, maybe 3. And I'd also throw money at Yannick Ngakoue.

2020 I'm targeting Pat Surtain II/Tyson Campbell.

You can’t get jeudy with that Texans pick so put that one out your mind unless Watson gets hurt.

Even then ehh. Bet he goes top 5 to 8 worst case despite that high cut frame

We will be in the top 5 you can book that just a matter of where

Back
Top Bottom