where did you learn to figure the cap? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

where did you learn to figure the cap?

Phinzone

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I am a football enthuasist, and always looking to better myself with knowedge of Pro-football. But i REALLY hate saying "lets go after someone" when we really can't.

Is there a book I can buy, or a site I can visit that explains it all?

1. How much the cap is, how it will grow, etc.

2. How much a player is paid per year, how it counts against the cap, etc.

3. How bonuses count, signing bonuses, reaching goals, etc.

4. Cap hits for trading players

5. Money owed to players for tagging them, etc.

6. Veteran minimum's, etc.

Sorry, this probably sounds stupid, but I'd like to learn about it, so I can make some educated arguments in the future. Thanks in advance for any info.

Over time I've learned. I learn new things literally every week about how provisions of the CBA are to be interpreted. My suggestions:

1) Have an interests in numbers. If you hate math, "cyber-capology" is not for you.

2) Read ANY and ALL things cap related. If there is something you don't understand, post a question here and myself, Merman, Aqua, or someone else will try to answer it and usually others will have the same or similar question.

3) Understand that learning about the salary cap is not an overnight undertaking and it will take a couple of seasons to understand many things about it and as I've already stated, you learn new things all the time.

I appreicate the offer man. Maybe I had better start out with the dumbest question of all......

I know the cap is figured by the entire league income. But does EVERY team have the exact same amount of money for their cap? Or is it distributed by a percentage of

A. The teams income (add up the NFL to find the cap, and let Miami have a higher cap than Arz)

or

B. By the teams win % (SD would have a higher cap than oh say...the Colts)

or perhaps C, none of the above?

I appreicate the offer man. Maybe I had better start out with the dumbest question of all......

I know the cap is figured by the entire league income. But does EVERY team have the exact same amount of money for their cap? Or is it distributed by a percentage of

A. The teams income (add up the NFL to find the cap, and let Miami have a higher cap than Arz)

or

As simple an answer as I can get:

The league sets a salary cap for all teams. It was $75.007 million in 2003. However, each teams' is "adjusted" based on "Not-likely-to-be-earned" (NLTBE) debits or credits from the previous season. In 2002, the cap league wide was $71.101 million but Miami had a "debit" of approx. $2.6 million, so Miami's "adjusted" cap was approx. $68.5 million. In 2003 with the cap $75.007 million, Miami a "credit" of $85,000, so their "adjusted" cap was $75.092 million. In 2004, the cap has not been officially set nor have each teams' adjustments been set. To compare, in 2003, the Bills had a "debit" of slightly over $1 million.

The problem that we "cyber-capologists'" have: We do not know what bonuses clauses every player has nor do most of us fully understand how to calculate those bonuses.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
As simple an answer as I can get:

The league sets a salary cap for all teams. It was $75.007 million in 2003. However, each teams' is "adjusted" based on "Not-likely-to-be-earned" (NLTBE) debits or credits from the previous season.

I realize you have been using that term but it's a very inaccurate term to be used this way. Using it in a beginning or ongoing yearly recap is very misleading.

NLTBE is a term used with incentives explaining that the incentive is not likely to be earned and not added to team salary until paid or the end of the year in which it is earned.
Thus as you know a NLTBE incentive could never generate a credit for the year.

Of course this is just my opinion but seeing the aconym NLTBE just screams not included in team salary. ;)

Originally posted by Graythreat

or

Also you can get alot of info from reading the CBA.

http://www.nflpa.org/media/main.asp?subPage=CBA+Complete

you can get alot of %s and such from there.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
From now on, I will use "cap adjustment"

I beleive the "credits" teams receive against the cap come from LTBE incentives that DO count against the current years cap that a player does not reach.

Originally posted by grooves12

I beleive the "credits" teams receive against the cap come from LTBE incentives that DO count against the current years cap that a player does not reach.

That's probably the most common reason for a prior year adjustment credit.

The different CBA sections usually state a credit can be taken the next year if contingency amounts included in team salary do not happen. Examples: LTBE incentives, options, and repaid loans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom