Where doing u see McIntosh contributing once healthy? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where doing u see McIntosh contributing once healthy?

killswitch

engage
Reaction score
Where do u see McIntosh contributing once healthy?

Once healthy, I see D-Mac coming in starting somewhere right away. Since he's played OT his whole career, I see him being put at RT, moving Carey to RG, who played that position for most of his senior year at U Miami. So, with the entire O-line healthy, I see 9 members being taken on the 53-man roster, looking like this (the positions that each player could play are given in parentheses, starting with his most likely position first, to his other options last):

LT:Wade Smith(LT)...LG:Jeno James(LG)...C:Seth McKinney(C,RG,LG)...RG:Vernon Carey(RT, RG, LG, LT)...RT:Damion McIntosh(RT, LT)

...............................Billy Yates (LG, C)..........................Greg Jerman (RG, RT)......John St. Clair (RT, RG,LT,C)

.............................................................................Taylor Whitley (RG)

Until D-Mac is healthy, I see the O-line like this: Smith... James... McKinney... Jerman... Carey. I believe only 8 O-lineman will be on the active roster. McIntosh i think will be on the opening day roster and remain inactive untill healthy. Then when he returns I see Whitley becoming inactive. (Just my personal opinion that Whitley sucks, can't move worth $hit, and doesn't deserve to be on this roster, but when it's all said and done, i think the coach's will give it to him.)

If (god forbid) Wade Smith were to go down before McIntosh becomes healthy, I think Vernon Carey would be moved to LT temporarily, since he also played that position some throughout his career at Univ. Miami (and he does move around well with good athleticism, especially for his size). In that case the line would look like this: Carey...James... McKinney... Jerman... St.Clair.

Once McIntosh becomes healthy, he immediately becomes the top LT backup so, then If Smith were to go down, i think the line would look like this: McIntosh... James... McKinney... Jerman... Carey.

For those wondering about the C position, if McKinney were to go down, I think Yates would be the immediate replacement for 2 reasons. #1: he's practiced at C some last year, and #2: he would know the offense better than St. Clair (the only other real option to put at C) since he's been here longer. (St. Clair was one of the best C prospects coming out in the 2000 draft, so he'd be the next option after Yates for the C position).

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't think we'll move Carey from the RT spot (unless he struggles mightily) IMO. There's just too much potential there. Besides, from everything I've read, Carey is a much better Tackle than he is a Guard. I'm not sure where McIntosh fits in, probably just a back up.

I cant see McIntosh riding pine when he is healthy.

We need to put our best 5 on the field. Barring someone unexpected like Jerman or Whitley stepping up, McIntosh is one of those 5.

He was a pretty good LT for San Diego. He wasnt a great pass protector, but he was a good run blocker. That translates over to RT well. It also can translate into the interior.

I think when McIntosh is healthy, either him or Carey shift to the interior. I dont agree with the idea that Carey is a better Tackle then Guard. Wasnt Carey injured while he played Guard his last season at UM? Because generally, the rule is if you can play Tackle well, you can definately play Guard well. Especially if you are a RT.

Here's part of an interview with Carey that I found:

Greg: Do you see yourself as a guard or tackle in the NFL?

Vernon: I think I can play either one. I'm a great tackle and I think i'm a good guard. At guard, the only reason I think I have a little doubt at that is because I was injured so I really haven't seen myself at my full potential at guard. And at the same time I want to keep getting better. That's what i'm going to keep striving for every year, just get better and better. And hopefully i'll have at least 10 or 12 more years to get better.(laughing)

Greg: Do you think you would be better at one position over the other?

Vernon: I think i'd be great at tackle. I just think I can play both you know. Versitility, i'm probably the best versitility guy in the draft.

In regards to who backs up Wade Smith, I think John St. Clair would be the first to head over there, as he was Orlando Pace's backup in St. Louis and logged gametime there.

If/when McIntosh gets "healty", I see him as the backup at both tackle spots. I don't think he'll crack the starting lineup this year. It's just really tough to come back from that injury and beat someone out before the stretch run. By then, things are pretty much set. But next year, when he's good to go, I think he'll start somewhere on this line, unless somebody emerges at RG. If not, he'll provide outstanding depth at both tackle spots.

I hope I'm wrong and that he forces the coaches to send someone really talented to the bench early on. But I just don't see it happening. Not when he's supposed to start the season on the PUP. And that means no practicing allowed. By Week 10 or so, he'll just begin to practice. Just begin to get in football shape. And that's far too late to take someone's starting job.

I could see him being put at RG. With that size, he could be a mauler on the inside. If Carey is at RT during training camp then I think it's safe to say that McIntosh will battle it out with Jerman and Whitely for that guard spot. Remember, Wanny likes to have his best 5 linemen on the field.

I think he's going to be a backup when he comes back. Wade Smith is our LT and Carey is probaley going to be our RT. If Carey ends up starting at RT, I can't imagine our coaches moving him half way through his rookie year. McIntosh will provide good depth behind those two, but i can't imagine him starting after spending half the year on PUP.

St Clair

Muck said:
In regards to who backs up Wade Smith, I think John St. Clair would be the first to head over there, as he was Orlando Pace's backup in St. Louis and logged gametime there.

If/when McIntosh gets "healty", I see him as the backup at both tackle spots. I don't think he'll crack the starting lineup this year. It's just really tough to come back from that injury and beat someone out before the stretch run. By then, things are pretty much set. But next year, when he's good to go, I think he'll start somewhere on this line, unless somebody emerges at RG. If not, he'll provide outstanding depth at both tackle spots.

I hope I'm wrong and that he forces the coaches to send someone really talented to the bench early on. But I just don't see it happening. Not when he's supposed to start the season on the PUP. And that means no practicing allowed. By Week 10 or so, he'll just begin to practice. Just begin to get in football shape. And that's far too late to take someone's starting job.
Yeah, i guess St. Clair could play LT (I forgot he played LT for the Rams; thought it was only RT). So, St. Clair may be the choice ahead of Carey if an emergrncy LT is needed.

But, about a month ago, I asked rams fans about St. Clair and this is what they said:
http://mb2.theinsiders.com/framsinsider4257frm1.showMessage?topicID=9151.topic

Apparently, he struggles a ton with pass rushers, so i think the phins may be hesitant about him as an emergency LT, but u never know.

Oh, it's no secret that he struggles in pass protection. It's just that he's really the only known option available at this time. Not a bad backup. For some reason, St. Clair's never really been given a shot at guard....or one position for that matter.

The hope is just that he doesn't start outside for us.

I see Carey remaining at RT if that's where he's playing. You don't want to shift a rookie around too much.

I would love to see McIntosh be able to come in and start at RG when he gets back into the lineup (game 8?). But, I think he won't for several reasons:

1) OL continuity - while you have to have players who can block, continuity and timing is also a critical factor in success. Unless Jerman is injured or playing poorly (which I hope does NOT happen!), it would be hard to just shove him aside.

2) Dave W. will not want to replace anyone, especially if the OL is performing well.

3) It would be different if McIntosh were a vet with the Dolphins. But, it's a new offense to him as well and he will have had virtually zero practice time to learn it. You can watch all the film you want, but you have to get a lot of PT to really know the system - He will have had very little if any.

In the future, I'd like to see the line look like this:

W. Smith (LT) ... J. James (LG) ... S. McKinney (C) ... D. McIntosh (RG) ... V. Carey (RT).

The same backups above. However, I also hope Jerman comes along. The word is that he has gotten much stronger and bigger, which is why he's been put at RG to compete. If he is tough enough and goes around 310-315, he could be solid there for us.

The speculation regarding the Oline is endless because there are so many options and so many question marks. Beyond who starts, there are the questions of who are back-ups, who can be slipped onto a practice squad, and when, if at all, will McIntosh get healthy? Then of course there are the other rookies Pape and Hadnut. Pape has tremendous natural talent, yet underacheived in college. Will the better competition and the maturing of his body, lift him to another level? Can Hadnut displace Yates on the inside?

The questions here are also compelling because unless they are solved the offense will stink this year. Looking forward to camp!

Yates is said to have gained about 10 pounds this offseason as well. I like that many of our smaller guys have put on weight (James, Smith, Yates, Jerman, etc) while guys like Carey have brought it down and gotten it under control.

Does anyone know what's going on with V. Carey right now???...

The last time I saw anything, J. St. Clair was getting all of the first string reps at RT. Does this mean anything come training camp???

It either means that Carey is struggling at RT, and isn't ready, or that St. Clair is looking better than expected. That's just my opinion....

Maybe Carey isn't ready to start at RT. Maybe he's going to emerge as our starting RG. He can play both positions. :D

As for OT D. McIntosh, unless things get ugly, he'll likely stay on the bench in 2004. Once he's 100% though, he should be starting at RT IMO....

PHINZ RULE!!!! :eek:

I think it means that they're going to make Carey EARN the starting job. So said Dave Wannstedt.

Where ever Carey starts this year, either at RT or RG, he will stay for the rest of the year. Reshuffling the line will only happen in the event of an injury or horrible play by the likes of St. Clair or Jerman. In the event of horrible play though carey will keep his spot on the line.

Back
Top Bottom