Where were you when Ken Stabler beat fins in 1973-74 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where were you when Ken Stabler beat fins in 1973-74

i was only about 5 and grew up in england, not much nfl on tv over there back then

I was watching the game with one of my best friends (who happened to be a Raiders fan...) I wanted to punch him in the face SO bad..... unfortunately, he was much bigger than me, so I settled for giving his little brother noogies.... :jk:

I was eight... watched the game on the sofa of the family split-level.

I despise Ken Stabler to this day. He's more evil than Kellen Winslow.

CpuFan said:
I remember it as well, by today NFLl standards the Snake would have been in the grasp.

I also remember that during that game I knew Miami had left to much time on the clock, and I was extremely nervous. It was really the end of the Dolphins ruling the NFL.

They have never been as good since.

No not even with Marino. With all of those Marino teams you just new inside that they were never good enough, because they had NO running ability whatsoever.
Or a defense. Or a defensive coordinator worth his weight in pickles.

But you do have a point... remember ye old #33?

i was 13 yrs old and that was the first time my parents realized my vocabulary included certain 4 letter words. i started watching dolphins in '72, undefeated. '73, 15-2. i still remember their 2nd game, loss to the raiders, first time i had ever seen them lose. '74, first time ever in my nfl experience that the fins wouldn't be champions. these 2 losses are still the 2 biggest reasons i hate the raiders. while i'm thrilled to have been able to witness the perfect season of '72, i deeply regret that i had no idea at the time how special it was. now, after decades of no superbowl wins, it would be like winning the "favorite sports team" lottery.

I Was Hoping Kellen Winslow Would Sit The Rest Of The Game Out

I was in the Army stationed at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico and I "lost" my coffee table when it happened.

I saw the game! Rookie Nat Moore took the opening Kick to the House! But we kicked 2 field goals and then gave up that huge 1 play td to Cliff Branch. The Raiders Fred B made a one handed (stickem) circus catch in the corner of the end zone also. We score 26-21 and snake then takes the down for the winner. :(

Voronaeff said:
Where were you when Ken Stabler of Oakland threw a TD pass between 3 defensive players in the 1973-74 playoff game that ended the Dolphins run of back-to-back Super Bowls? Without that pass with time expiring, the Dolphins probably would have won three Super Bowls in a row. That was my first season as a Dolphins fan (the teams last season with Czonka, Kick and Warfield), and I still haven't gotten over that game. Any long time fans remember this game from 30 years ago?
Oh yeah, I was a 12 year old in a state of shock after witnessing the back to back Championships and perfect season, I remember Nat Moore's kickoff return for a touchdown and a good day by Benny Malone.

I always felt the fact that it was already known that Csonka, Kiick and Warfield were leaving after the season killed the chemistry of that team and destroyed the magic......thank you World Football league.

One of the great playoff games ever and a real tough way to end the dynasty.

I was 13 and living in Buffalo and was at the time rooting for the Raiders. I wasn't the die-hard Phins fan I am now. I liked the Phins and rooted for them to win the SB's, but I was a fan of several Raiders (Stabler, Belitnikoff, Branch, Davis, Van Eehgen, Casper, Tatum, Atkinson, Willie Brown, Upshaw, Shell, Otto, Hendricks, Sistrunk, etc.).

Those great AFC teams of the early-mid 70's were awesome. I think those were the glory years for the AFC:

Dolphins, Raiders, Chiefs, Steelers, and even the Colts (late 60's, early part of 70's). There was a time when I could name every starting player on those first four teams. I can still name a majority of the offensive and defensive starters on those teams. You just won't find that many talented players on teams today. I don't think any team today can compare to those teams.

Just consider that Raiders team - the Dolphins were equally as talented, but you will not find any team today with that many good players.

Back
Top Bottom