Where would Brady be if Bledsoe hadn't gotten hurt? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where would Brady be if Bledsoe hadn't gotten hurt?

I cant disagree with you completely, only a coach desperate as hell with one foot out the door would bench a solid veteran QB (who was considered one of the best in the game at the time) in favor of a unproven 6th round pick.

Maybe Bledsoe would have been replaced that offseason, but dont you think they would have brought someone else in? Brady was all they had at the time, of course he got the nod. Id love to hear who the 3rd string was at the time...

Actually, according to Patriot Reign by Michael Holley (great read BTW even if you aren't a Patriots fan), Belichick thought Brady was the better quarterback during the pre-season and would've named him the starter had Bledsoe not had the 100 million dollar contract.

I don't doubt the rumor one bit. When Belichick was the Browns' HC he benched Kosar when he thought it was the best thing to do. At the time Bernie Kosar was incredibly popular with Cleveland Browns fans. I mean they absolutely loved Kosar. Once Belichick decided to go with another QB, BB was like the most hated guy in town.

I cant disagree with you completely, only a coach desperate as hell with one foot out the door would bench a solid veteran QB (who was considered one of the best in the game at the time) in favor of a unproven 6th round pick.

Maybe Bledsoe would have been replaced that offseason, but dont you think they would have brought someone else in? Brady was all they had at the time, of course he got the nod. Id love to hear who the 3rd string was at the time...

Bledsoe was NOT consiedered one of the best in the game, there might have been a 2-3 year stretch in the mid 90s where he was(although he was never really a top flight QB) but in 2001 he was not considered a top QB. I fully believe Brady would have gotten his shot very soon if Bledsoe had not been hurt. I remember that gbame vividly and the second Brady stepped on the field the Pats O looked completely different. He didn't have much time and they didn't score w/ him but for the first time all game I was worried and the Jets held on 10-3 but the game ended at the Jets 2 yard line.

Actually, according to Patriot Reign by Michael Holley (great read BTW even if you aren't a Patriots fan), Belichick thought Brady was the better quarterback during the pre-season and would've named him the starter had Bledsoe not had the 100 million dollar contract.

So what you're saying is BB let a contract dictate who he was gonna play... Hmmm, so much for the "best 11 guys on the field" theory.

I don't want to get into semantics with examples being hurled at me of guys who only played because they were getting payed a crap load, I'll simply say that is a weak argument to keep someone at the most important position on the field.

You're facts may be correct, but the logic behind them is serisouly flawed.

So what you're saying is BB let a contract dictate who he was gonna play... Hmmm, so much for the "best 11 guys on the field" theory.

I don't want to get into semantics with examples being hurled at me of guys who only played because they were getting payed a crap load, I'll simply say that is a weak argument to keep someone at the most important position on the field.

You're facts may be correct, but the logic behind them is serisouly flawed.

Not really, he might've felt Brady was the better QB but wasn't ready for the storm that benching Drew Bledsoe would've brought over his team. Plus Tom Terrific might not have been ready to take over at that moment.

Back
Top Bottom