• Other

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

Alex44

Chicago Bears GM
Reaction score
In your opinion

Ruth, Bonds, Aaron or other

I think it has to be Ruth, the seasons were shorter so he did have as many games. Not to mention it was an era when the Home Run wasnt a big part of baseball

I dont say Aaron because owning a record doesnt make you the best, I mean Emmit Smith owns the rushing record and I dont think many people consider him the greatest ever

There is to much of a cloud around Bonds for me to aknowledge him, not to mention as of this moment I dont even think he is the best power hitter in baseball, that goes to Pujols (sp).

Honorable mention to Ken Griffey Jr. because had he not been injured so much he would have a legitimate shot at 755

the babe.

but Aaron gets overlook even though he has the record....the man has something like 2200 RBIs, which is what the games all about.

A guy that should get an honorable mention is frank robinson

Nappy Roots said:
the babe.

but Aaron gets overlook even though he has the record....the man has something like 2200 RBIs, which is what the games all about.

A guy that should get an honorable mention is frank robinson

No Doubt Aaron was one of the best, but I dont think THE best you know? Obviously an amazing player though

Yeah Frank Robinson was an amazing hitter to, a lot of guys deserve mention

Is this really debatebale? Ruth by far, Aaron was a great player but he got the record based on consistency and longevity as 45 Hrs was his best year, Bonds was grat pre-steroids but you have to take him down a notch b/c he became an unreal player after "bulking up".

Ruth. He was LIGHT YEARS ahead of other hitters of his time. You have to judge a man by the standards of his day, and Ruth was so much better than the other hitters of his era that he has to be considered the best.

The only arguement you can make against Ruth is he didnt play in a time with as much talent....but it was a time where pitchers dominated, so I think we can throw that out the window

Rocky Raccoon said:
I say Hank Aaron...but then again I hate the Yankees and like the Braves.

You're a Mets fan and you like the Braves?!?!?

phunwin said:
You're a Mets fan and you like the Braves?!?!?
:lol: I'm not really a Mets fan or a Braves fan...I'm just a baseball fan. I love David Wright, and Carlos Beltran...and being from the area they are one team I would like to see do good...especially because I HATE the Yankees. I also love Andruw Jones and Jeff Francoeur though...I've always kind of rooted for both teams. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true.

It's Ruth, and there's no doubt.

Forget how he was totally ahead of his time. Forget that the schedules were shorter and the balls were dead. Forget how the parks were huge and the talent concentrated in the fewer teams.

Ruth spent his first five years as primarily a pitcher. He won 94 games in his career, and from 1915 to 1918, he averaged 38.5 games/year as a pitcher, with an ERA of 2.05 in those years. So what does that have to do with his being the best power hitter of all time?

Imagine if he had spent 1914 to 1919 primarily as a hitter. From 1919 to 1935, he averaged 43.375 HR/yr. If he had performed at well under that clip, say, 15 homers a year for those 5 years (1914 was a cup of coffee), he'd have 789 HR. If he had averaged 20/yr for those 5 years, he'd have 814 HR. So on, so forth.

This guy was a Cy Young-caliber, HOF-bound pitcher. In 1917, he went 24-13 with a 2.01 ERA in 326.1 IP, giving up only 73 ER while striking out 128. Then one day he decided he wanted to hit homers and became the first guy to reach 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 HR in a season, not to mention 30-40 2Bs every year, 100-140 BBs, OBPs ranging from .430 to .545, and never striking out 100 times or more. Absolutely incredible.

RWhitney014 said:
It's Ruth, and there's no doubt.

Forget how he was totally ahead of his time. Forget that the schedules were shorter and the balls were dead. Forget how the parks were huge and the talent concentrated in the fewer teams.

Ruth spent his first five years as primarily a pitcher. He won 94 games in his career, and from 1915 to 1918, he averaged 38.5 games/year as a pitcher, with an ERA of 2.05 in those years. So what does that have to do with his being the best power hitter of all time?

Imagine if he had spent 1914 to 1919 primarily as a hitter. From 1919 to 1935, he averaged 43.375 HR/yr. If he had performed at well under that clip, say, 15 homers a year for those 5 years (1914 was a cup of coffee), he'd have 789 HR. If he had averaged 20/yr for those 5 years, he'd have 814 HR. So on, so forth.

This guy was a Cy Young-caliber, HOF-bound pitcher. In 1917, he went 24-13 with a 2.01 ERA in 326.1 IP, giving up only 73 ER while striking out 128. Then one day he decided he wanted to hit homers and became the first guy to reach 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 HR in a season, not to mention 30-40 2Bs every year, 100-140 BBs, OBPs ranging from .430 to .545, and never striking out 100 times or more. Absolutely incredible.

Know what? Thats an amazing point, I knew he was a pitcher but I didnt know for that many years....

Back
Top Bottom