Who is the worst Super Bowl team of all-time | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who is the worst Super Bowl team of all-time

burger13

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I messaged sarcastically to my friends last night that this year’s Giants are the worst Super Bowl team since 2000 (the last time the Giants tripped and fell into a SB). I may have been wrong..and I may have understated how bad of a Super Bowl team they are.

I may be wrong, because 2003 saw a historically bad team as well……but I may have done the Giants a disservice by only labeling them as bad as any SB team since 2000. As SB teams go, the Giants are among the worst EVER.

Using Points scored and Points allowed as the measuring stick, the Giants measure out worse than any other Super Bowl team ever:

2007 Giants League Ranks – Pts Scored – 14th, Pts Allowed 17th

There has only been 1 other team ever to make the Super Bowl while failing to rank in the top-10 in the league in at least 1 of those 2 categories, the 1979 Los Angeles Rams (15th and 11th)

Also, in 2007, the Giants point differential was 1.4 points per game. That is the 3rd worst ever for a Super Bowl team….ahead of only the 2003 Panthers (1.3) and the 79 Rams (0.9). Both those teams lost their Super Bowl.

Lastly, the Giants turnover margin of -10 ranks among the worst of all-time as well....This decade only the 2001 Rams rank worse with a -11.

While it may be early to label this year's Giants....being that haven't even played the Super Bowl yeat...I'd still like to know who you all think is the worst team ever to play in a Super Bowl.

I think using an entire season is not a good indicator. I would cut it down to the second half of the season. Its a better indicator of how the team is playing going into the postseason

I think using an entire season is not a good indicator. I would cut it down to the second half of the season. Its a better indicator of how the team is playing going into the postseason

it is a better indicator if you want to evaluate their chances in the game.....but when evaluating a team for any given year, you should look at the whole picture, they shouldn't get a pass if they sucked early. Also, I'm not about to go back and seperate the final 8 for each and every SB team....I'm bored, but not THAT bored. ;)

For the Giants though....looking at just the second hallf, they were 4-4 with all 4 wins coming aganst teams that were .500 or worse.

There avg points for was 21.6 and avg points against was 24. So they were actually worse in the second half then they were in their first 8 (when they had a 6 game winning streak against teams with a combined 31-65 record).

it is a better indicator if you want to evaluate their chances in the game.....but when evaluating a team for any given year, you should look at the whole picture, they shouldn't get a pass if they sucked early. Also, I'm not about to go back and seperate the final 8 for each and every SB team....I'm bored, but not THAT bored. ;)

For the Giants though....looking at just the second hallf, they were 4-4 with all 4 wins coming aganst teams that were .500 or worse.

There avg points for was 21.6 and avg points against was 24. So they were actually worse in the second half then they were in their first 8 (when they had a 6 game winning streak against teams with a combined 31-65 record).

I hear you about not breaking it down. I wouldnt want to go through that either:lol: Giants dont come off that bad for me. I think the Steelers that beat the Seahawks were the worst SuperBowl winner I ever saw. Tough to say who was the worst team however. Maybe the Patriots who lost to the Bears or the Chargers who lost to the 49ers. Its a tough question but I dont feel like researching it. Rather rely on my faulty memory:D

I'd rather be deemed the worst Super Bowl team of all-time rather then never make the ****ing playoffs, wouldn't you?

I'd rather be deemed the worst Super Bowl team of all-time rather then never make the ****ing playoffs, wouldn't you?

ummm...ok sure.

not sure how it relates to my question. the teams I'm comparing the Giants to did make the playoffs, and did make it to the Super Bowl. I just can't remember a worse team going and the numbers seem to support it.

that would be us.. we only scored 3 points in '71

71 Dolphins

4th in points scored (22.5)
3rd in points against (12.4)

+8 turnover margin

Maybe they played the worst in the Super Bowl (worse than the 00 giants or 85 Patriots??) but they were a deserving super bowl entrant.

71 Dolphins

4th in points scored (22.5)
3rd in points against (12.4)

+8 turnover margin

Maybe they played the worst in the Super Bowl (worse than the 00 giants or 85 Patriots??) but they were a deserving super bowl entrant.

ahh, sorry burg, misunderstood the criteria :)

Hate on the Giants all you want... but beating the Bucs in Tampa.. the Cowboys in Dallas.. and the Packers at Lambeau in the freezing cold... is respectable in my book.

If they can beat the Patriots... it'll go down as the greatest upset in Super Bowl history IMO.

Hate on the Giants all you want... but beating the Bucs in Tampa.. the Cowboys in Dallas.. and the Packers at Lambeau in the freezing cold... is respectable in my book.

If they can beat the Patriots... it'll go down as the greatest upset in Super Bowl history IMO.

it's respectable....but every team that gets to the Super Bowl has playoff wins. The fact that they had to win three, all on the road, is an illustration of how unimpressive the rest of their year was.

And the fact that you would call it the greatest upset in Super Bowl history illustrates that the Giants aren't exactly a powerhouse.

it's respectable....but every team that gets to the Super Bowl has playoff wins. The fact that they had to win three, all on the road, is an illustration of how unimpressive the rest of their year was.

And the fact that you would call it the greatest upset in Super Bowl history illustrates that the Giants aren't exactly a powerhouse.

It more or less illustrates that the Patriots are that good... and most are probably not giving them much a chance to win. Although everyone but New England is rooting for New York.

I wonder who Jets fans are rooting for?

I think that most are rooting for the Giants. Seems the prevailing logic with NY fans is that they root for their main team and then when they are out they root for the other one. May be a little different with the Mets and Yankees....but it football it definately seems that way.

I messaged sarcastically to my friends last night that this year’s Giants are the worst Super Bowl team since 2000 (the last time the Giants tripped and fell into a SB). I may have been wrong..and I may have understated how bad of a Super Bowl team they are.

I may be wrong, because 2003 saw a historically bad team as well……but I may have done the Giants a disservice by only labeling them as bad as any SB team since 2000. As SB teams go, the Giants are among the worst EVER.

Using Points scored and Points allowed as the measuring stick, the Giants measure out worse than any other Super Bowl team ever:

2007 Giants League Ranks – Pts Scored – 14th, Pts Allowed 17th

There has only been 1 other team ever to make the Super Bowl while failing to rank in the top-10 in the league in at least 1 of those 2 categories, the 1979 Los Angeles Rams (15th and 11th)

Also, in 2007, the Giants point differential was 1.4 points per game. That is the 3rd worst ever for a Super Bowl team….ahead of only the 2003 Panthers (1.3) and the 79 Rams (0.9). Both those teams lost their Super Bowl.

Lastly, the Giants turnover margin of -10 ranks among the worst of all-time as well....This decade only the 2001 Rams rank worse with a -11.

While it may be early to label this year's Giants....being that haven't even played the Super Bowl yeat...I'd still like to know who you all think is the worst team ever to play in a Super Bowl.

I think a case could be made for the 79 Rams. They were 9-7 in a week division. Although they beat Dallas on the road, they played Tampa in the conference championship and beat them 9-0. Then of course lost to the Steelers 31-19. My opinion is they were lucky to be there.

Back
Top Bottom