Who Would be Your DT of Choice? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Would be Your DT of Choice?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
The Miami defense is playing very well, but the run defense is lacking that stout DT in the middle to help control the run game. Miami could also use a better middle linebacker. Parsons anyone?

Anyway, who would be your DT of choice for the Dolphins? After watching Aaron Donald destroy Miami's offensive line, Jaylon Twyman of Pittsburgh bears some attention. He closes on the quarterback like a linebacker, but isn't necessarily stout against the run. Old-school comparison might be John Randle of the Minnesota Vikings. He is drawing some comps to Donald, but that's probably unfair. Listed as 6-2, 290 but looks more like 275.

Marvin Wilson of Florida State is having a bit of a down year, but I think he's probably more in-line with what Miami needs. He can penetrate versus the pass, but not to the level of Twyman. He's good in run support. Tyler Shelvin of LSU is a beast in run support, but probably off the field in obvious passing downs. Christian Barmore of Alabama is a rising talent. I haven't seen enough of him yet, so would love a scouting report.

I'm more on the Tyler Shelvin bandwagon. He offers the stoutest run defense of the DT/NT. His presence in the middle of Miami's defense would be a game changer Imo. He'd allow the LBs to run free, he'd also take on 2 or 3 blockers to help slow the run game.

Mark me down for Parsons first and a DT afterwards. I really think our defense's issue with the running game isn't DL related, our Linebackers just don't make plays.

I'm more on the Tyler Shelvin bandwagon. He offers the stoutest run defense of the DT/NT. His presence in the middle of Miami's defense would be a game changer Imo. He'd allow the LBs to run free, he'd also take on 2 or 3 blockers to help slow the run game.

LOVE Shelvin's fit in this D

Definitely Barmore. He's a big, dynamic athlete and a big personality too (like Wilkins)! Jay Tufele is an interesting one - shame he opted out this year. I'd have said Marvin Wilson a few weeks ago but like you said he's been terrible.

Shelvin is certainly the run stuffing behemoth they lack and would plug in nicely, but I am not sure how high you draft him.

Wilson has been one of the bigger disappointments this year.

Sign a 26 or 27 year old vet and re-sign Godchaux, if the price is right. Vet, Wilkins, Godchaux, Davis and Siler should be more than enough to get the job done inside. Add a rookie edge rusher to go with Lawson and Ogbah and your ok up front for at least few seasons.

Tedarrell Slaton could be a nice option in the mid to late rounds. He’s a massive Human 6’5” 340 and he makes some really athletic flash plays.

Slaton as a DT for the gators. Also can play offense in heavy packages he played OL in HS and was recruited as a guard who gators converted to defense

Sign a 26 or 27 year old vet and re-sign Godchaux, if the price is right. Vet, Wilkins, Godchaux, Davis and Siler should be more than enough to get the job done inside. Add a rookie edge rusher to go with Lawson and Ogbah and your ok up front for at least few seasons.
That's a strong possibility depending on what free agency looks like at DT.

Back
Top Bottom