Why are Fin's Meeting With Young? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why are Fin's Meeting With Young?

Dolphins_SR66 said:
This meeting isnt as much about our 1st round use at #16, as it could be about three basic principles Nick Saban employs in personnel areas.

1) You never yet your perception or other people's opinions override reality. You meet one-on-one with as many players (whether you have a shot at them this year or not) to build a foundation from an interview perspective. You can than use this foundation for future interviews if this player ever becomes available down the road. You are creating a booklet on all possible personnel decisions. He has done it with his ex-College, ex-NFL players before and its a comfort factor during FA times.

2) You always, always, give the illusion of interests in players that may or may not come your way, from trading up or trading down. Its too late come draft day! So you have to set the seeds in the ground now, so the fruit will be ready for plucking in due time. Teams behind us get nervous, and teams in front of us can get confused and lose focus.

3) Especially with a guy like Vince Young and the circus-like atmosphere since he announced going pro. You have to weed out all the hoopla and heresay. This gives Nick a chance to get one-on-one and can figure out if all the noise is meaningless or not. Perhaps one day it benefits him regarding another player in a similar situation. No harm, no foul to atleast chat with the guy, and charkboard some football related things.

Saban and Mueller have done well so far, no reason to second guess them now based on our opinions. Let them work their magic.
Great post Brother!:ffic: Meet with as many players you can, and learn about them one on one, and keep the other 31 teams guessing!:wink:

meeting with him just to learn some more about him. Saban brought in alot of FA's just for the purpse of meeting them and getting to knwo them

A team should always explore every option. Don't leave any stone unturned. The Dolphins would be remiss (<----Notice crafty use of word) if they did not interview Young.

trainwreck said:
Found this on KFFL, seems kind of odd. Vince would NEVER last until #16.

Dolphins | Team looking to meet with V. Young
Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:47:34 -0800

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports NFL draft analyst Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, said Saturday, March 25, on Sirius Satellite Radio the Miami Dolphins have scheduled a visit with University of Texas QB Vince Young in South Florida April 9 and 10. The Dolphins, who declined comment about Young, host about 20 to 25 college players on pre-draft visits. It still seems unlikely that Young would be available when the Dolphins select at No. 16.

The staff is covering all bases. If they have a high grade on him and he drops to 16, then he's a good value pick and possible trade bait in the future.
Nobody thought Roethlisberger would last to the 11th pick either.
The Dolphins are just being thorough and diligent in their preparation for the draft, which is what I think we all would expect.

One also has to wnder if Denver would take someone like Young at #15 now. Could this be one reason? Shanahan would love a Vince Young I would think, and rightly so.

jlfin said:
The staff is covering all bases. If they have a high grade on him and he drops to 16, then he's a good value pick and possible trade bait in the future.
Nobody thought Roethlisberger would last to the 11th pick either.
The Dolphins are just being thorough and diligent in their preparation for the draft, which is what I think we all would expect.

I can absolutely gaurrantee that Nick Saban would never draft someone only to have trade bait in the future.

PhinPhreak said:
Exactly FF, Saban said himself in the Culpepper press conference that if A QB fell to them they would consider taking him, he said with the way people are offering high picks for unproven backups the value of the pick would have to be considered. Now it could be a bluff, but what he said is true. Look at what has been being offered for Matt Schaub, Phillip Rivers, look what Rob Johnson and AJ Feeley went for. :lol:

I agree there are more stressing needs but I wouldn't be surprised either.

And that would go for Jay Cutler too I believe. Its just that Young is the one being talked about as dropping. I see Denver snaggin him at 15 though and if they do, look out cus you know shanahan is going to design that whole offense around him.

finfan54 said:
I can absolutely gaurrantee that Nick Saban would never draft someone only to have trade bait in the future.

that's funny, he has said he would do exactly that...

finfan54 said:
And that would go for Jay Cutler too I believe. Its just that Young is the one being talked about as dropping. I see Denver snaggin him at 15 though and if they do, look out cus you know shanahan is going to design that whole offense around him.

I agree, I don't see that he would fall past Denver either, unless they have plans to try to move up and grab Cutler.

I heard a RUMOR the other day that there was a possibility of the Broncos trading their 2 1st's for the Bills 1st (8th pick) and Moulds. That really wouldn't be that bad of a trade for Broncos, they would have their WR and have a great chance at a QB. Not really sure how much Moulds has left but if he has anything left it could be a true possibility.

PhinPhreak said:
I agree, I don't see that he would fall past Denver either, unless they have plans to try to move up and grab Cutler.

I heard a RUMOR the other day that there was a possibility of the Broncos trading their 2 1st's for the Bills 1st (8th pick) and Moulds. That really wouldn't be that bad of a trade for Broncos, they would have their WR and have a great chance at a QB. Not really sure how much Moulds has left but if he has anything left it could be a true possibility.

That makes a lot of sense. I know Denver wants to draft a young QB, and I think there's a good chance one of the three falls to No. 8. Only problem is they'd still need to inject some youth into that receiving corps. Then again, they've gotten pretty far with just Rod Smith.

PhinPhreak said:

yeah, it could be true because Denver seems to be making moves from those two number ones and they have to be after something in particular.

cnc66 said:
that's funny, he has said he would do exactly that...

maybe as a move like the Giants/chargers did two years ago in a situation when it happens right there but that is not what I mean by "trade bait in the future". Not ten minutes into the future.And if this were so, then the isnt the motive to trade down anyways? So if this is his motive in the end, then we will no doubt be trading down for some bigtime payoff of picks.

but Denver may have put all that talk in the can already.

finfan54 said:
yeah, it could be true because Denver seems to be making moves from those two number ones and they have to be after something in particular.

Well they took part in the Atlanta upgrade because it was a steal for them, at least according to the trade value chart. Nearly free upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom