------ Why did Soliai slip to the 4th Round? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

------ Why did Soliai slip to the 4th Round?

Mile High Fin

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I've read that Soliai has 1st/2nd round talent/measurables.

So why did he slip all the way to the 4th round?

I'm glad we got him, but just curious why he was only a mid-rounder.

Is it simply because he played in the Mtn West Conference?
Maybe his performance didn't measure up to his measurables?
Something else?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

That is a great question,,,,,CK, BOMMER,KB?ANYONE,,,BUELLER?

Something else?

He had some off the field issues that lead to him getting suspended from Utah's bowl game.. I am sure that was part of it. Because he was late first round, second round material.

Something else?

I believe there were SOME mild character concerns for Soliai... as he was suspended from Utah's bowl game for an unspecified team rules violation.

Beyond that, several scouting reports hint around that he might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer (unknown reasons), and he's a OL convert - having only two years experience on the DL.

Still a fantastic pick in the 4th round IMO, and one in a position of obvious need given Keith Traylor's age (with all due respect to Fred Evans - who I simply don't think has the frame to play a 3-4 NT day in day out).

Violating team rules. It's really sad how so little can cost a person so much money.....well, sad for everyone but us.

Minor suspension, Not from a major conference, no Eye popping numbers to get the casual scouts attention, Didn't have a lot of playing experience as he was converted from O-line.

Thie biggest thing is that he has limited apeal. He use not really useful in a tampa 2 team so that takes away 8 candidates right there. Then the normal 4-3 teams don't put a premium on a strict run stuffer. The only teams that would are 3-4 teams that need a nose tackle, but few needed one:

All the major 3-4 teams have young guys...Ravens got Ngata(even though they are a 4-3 now), the pats have wilfork, the steelers have Casey Hampton, the chargers have castillo

The teams with huge needs are: Browns (T. washington) and the Fins (Traylor)

And the only other really candidites were Dallas and San francisco...

But that still doesn't help cause there is only 1 NT spot compared to most other positions where there are 2 spots on the field.

So basically he wasn't a need player on many boards, and he was bumped down due to Character, experience, and competition red flags...

Something else?

Cuz he is a character issue, he got suspended for his bowl game, so with Goodell new policies on "bad guys" he dipped.....................

i have read outstanding reviews on him. If you google him, you will find prospect articles that mostly have him as a late first mid second round pick!

Didn't he only start one year as a D-Lineman? I think that may have something to do with it as he's got pretty good measurables, especially for a NT in a 3-4 system.

yeah, that was part of it, plus other team needs and such.

I think there is something to be said for the argument about different systems making him attractive to only about half of the teams out there.

Plus the suspension, and we don't even know yet WHY he was suspended but it was probably pretty bad and turned coaches off.

I would say lack of tape is a serious issue. Not only did he play at Utah but he only started one year. He moved from offensive tackle to defensive tackle in 2005 but never played. In 2006 he did play and outshined his more well-known teammate Talevou. But, it was only one year, and he missed the bowl game. The Shrine Game was geared toward one-gap rushers, so it was difficult to tell his value by how well he held his lanes.

Despite his remarkable physicals, on tape he's not an exciting player, really. He doesn't pass rush well. He doesn't make a bunch of plays behind the line of scrimmage. He's a no-nonsense beef-eater.

I have heard many people say he was a reach where we took him

I have heard many people say he was a reach where we took him

I disagree and felt like he was our steal of the draft. Every year players are pushed down in the draft exp. Roth short arms, Crowder bad knees, Hagan bad combine and this case Soliai character, Z Thomas too short. These guys are football players but just do not meet the stat criteria thats all.

I have seen him play a couple of times over the last 2 years and basically it comes down to him not showing enough commitment or heart. Further, from what I understand his not playing in the bowl game was more about effort or lack thereof than anything of any real concern. As you mentioned he has the physical attributes but he never dominated consistantly as he should have at Utah. That is not really that unusual for these "larger" guys but his success on the sext level will be more about his heart than anything physical.

Back
Top Bottom