------ Why did Soliai slip to the 4th Round? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

------ Why did Soliai slip to the 4th Round?

ive watched utah games he is very solid in taking on double teams this guy will start for us next year maybe this year remmember theres a 37 year old body in front of him dont espect trailer to play a full season hes going to start 5 games at least accelerates good big body rotate the d line man ................im new #1 dolphins fan with a record deal

I have seen him play a couple of times over the last 2 years and basically it comes down to him not showing enough commitment or heart. Further, from what I understand his not playing in the bowl game was more about effort or lack thereof than anything of any real concern. As you mentioned he has the physical attributes but he never dominated consistantly as he should have at Utah. That is not really that unusual for these "larger" guys but his success on the sext level will be more about his heart than anything physical.

Actually, that was the same knock on Traylor for his first 4-5 years. Also, for a DT in this scheme, it usually takes a couple of year to really grasp your responsibilities...The bottom line is you have to learn to tie up as many people as you can in the middle of the line and forget the going after the QB thing with the 3-4 nose tackle position...it really is a learned art. If you look and think back in the league, all the guys that are considered good 3-4 NTs are older guys...

I saw Soliai play here in Colorado Springs when the Utes played Air Force. He was the biggest guy out there by far, and I remember him because he had that huge clump of hair hanging out the back of his helmet, and he seemed to crush any running backs that came his way. I think lack of experience at the position was the main issue. We got a steal. :)

I have seen him play a couple of times over the last 2 years and basically it comes down to him not showing enough commitment or heart. Further, from what I understand his not playing in the bowl game was more about effort or lack thereof than anything of any real concern. As you mentioned he has the physical attributes but he never dominated consistantly as he should have at Utah. That is not really that unusual for these "larger" guys but his success on the sext level will be more about his heart than anything physical.

I disagree. His domination against the ground game at Utah was pretty consistent in 2006. He was an offensive tackle in 2005 when they decided to switch him to defense, where he understudied Steve Fifita. He hardly ever played though.

Bottom line is he only played one year, for Utah, and didn't get to play in the Bowl game. That makes you severely under the radar and you have to play extraordinarily well to break through those obstacles, which he actually did, just not quite enough to get him in that 2nd round area where he should have gone...probably in some part due to his having half the teams deem him inappropriate for their scheme.

I wanted Soliai from the beginning because I thought he fit our D well and had the skills to compete. And I knew we could get him on the 2nd day because of his off-field issue as well as a deemed lack of experience. When they started bumping up his stock, I was worried others would be seeing what I saw and potentially nab him before we could.

You are the only person I have ever heard call Soliai's selection at #108 a "reach". Ever. Nobody has said that. Not one analyst that I have read.

I thought I read that. I don't even know who he is so I really don't know.

Sorry DUDE

I've read that Soliai has 1st/2nd round talent/measurables.

So why did he slip all the way to the 4th round?

I'm glad we got him, but just curious why he was only a mid-rounder.

Is it simply because he played in the Mtn West Conference?
Maybe his performance didn't measure up to his measurables?
Something else?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Its easier to find a Big defensive tackle that eats blocks then it is to get a Kevin williams tommie harris type guy. as i hear it you do not pick a gap filler in the first round unless he can penetrate.

I think there was also questions on his expirence. and competition.

Should be fun to watch how he comes along

You are the only person I have ever heard call Soliai's selection at #108 a "reach". Ever. Nobody has said that. Not one analyst that I have read.

Yeah I heard that he had "second round talent."

One of the pre-draft mags said that he was a sleeper that could end up being the best 3-4 NT in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom