why didn't SD get another chance | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

why didn't SD get another chance

chdoyle

Practice Squad
Reaction score
the failed kick by SD on their last possession was made on second down. In theory they should have had two more shots at it. After the second down kick there were 3 seconds left so there was time for another try.
I don't get why NE received possession of the ball for the final play.

thanks!

once a field goal is kicked, the ball changes possession, whether it's missed or not. now, if they botched the field goal like the cowboys did last week, they could've had another shot.

once a field goal is kicked, the ball changes possession, whether it's missed or not. now, if they botched the field goal like the cowboys did last week, they could've had another shot.
Though with only 3 seconds left, time would have ran out.

Thanks, but how come I often hear the announcers say they can try the kick (usually 3rd down) before the fourth down because if they miss they would have another shot. I have heard this more than once. Have I been misinterpreting these comments? I guess I have, weird.

I guess they try on third in case it's botched as you say not necessarily actually missing the attempt. I got it. Thanks...

I guess they try on third in case it's botched as you say not necessarily actually missing the attempt. I got it. Thanks...

Yes...you could say that if you pull a Romo on 3rd down...you get another shot on 4th :D .

You can't be given 3 chances of a FG. It's one and done. Otherwise we might've beat San Diego back when Stoyanovich missed the FG that woulda put us in the AFC title game

Back
Top Bottom