why i will miss ricky :( | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

why i will miss ricky :(

Phin-o-rama

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
ok, there has been absolutely too many threads about this but here is another one. i was as mad as anyone else if not madder when i heard about this. here i am on saturday night after a long night of drinking and getting ready to hit the sack. for some reason i stayed up later than normal (1 am) and on another message board i post on (im the only phin fan there) i see that someone said "breaking news on espn ricky retires" what???

so i come here and low and behold i see the infamous thread about it. i was on the point of vomitting...i really was, and i made horrible comments that got me banned for a day. which i deserved completely. but the anger and confusion inside of me just was uncontrollable.

see watching miami was entrenched in me as a kid ..i grew up with my step dad living and dying each week depending on marino's arm and i fell hard into it...i loved it. once i learned all the rules it was great. sundays had more meaning than any other day of the week! all i ever wanted was for us to win the superbowl to make all of us happy. so anyways i have always felt lucky being a phin fan because marino truly was amazing. at one point growing up if we were behind in the fourth quarter you could almost count on a comeback by marino. that was literally the most exciting and wonderful thing there is. we had miracle plays that brought us back so many times. how could you not be a phin fan?

so anyways after marino left we had 2 weird years with no real standouts to speak of. and along comes ricky. we all know he was different from the guys in the NFL ....at least the stars of the NFL. i embraced that because not everyone in life is the same, some are very different from the norm. and truthfully those people are usually the most interesting people you will meet in your life. ricky's first season with us was a dream. i mean we had never seen a guy like that in aqua/orange and what a rush it was to watch him break free and run for 40+ yards. MAN what a runner.

i always thought ricky would be with us for many years to come. why wouldn't he?? he was loved as much as marino if not more. i say that cuz many dolfans i know didn't like marinos arrogance etc. ricky was the star of miami and we as fans wanted him to be more than he could handle i think. i am sad that he doesn't have the drive and passion to do the thing he was born to do. i feel sorry for him. it is not his time to leave this game.

but maybe we were all wrong about him. reading some of these new snippets of info "he said you need to be big black etc" to be in the nfl makes me wonder if this shy guy was just a ticking time bomb. i had a feeling when he cut that hair that something drastic would happen. granted i thought that he was gonna have a stellar season with the most commitment that he could give, become even more of a team leader, and prove once again why he could be a role model to all of us. not just kids. his work ethic has always been great and his actions on the field were classy. he was no TO with an attitude like garbage.

in his second year we pounded him way too much. i think we all knew that. when we were forced to pass last year it was pathetic...truly. and i've been a huge negative critic of fiedler but it was not all his fault as we all know.

to wrap this up because most people wont even read it, as a former daily potsmoker for 7 years and a borderline social anxiety victim i always felt a seperate connection with RW. i felt a taste of what he dealt with on a daily basis. but he was definitely someone that i looked up to and respected because he was dealing with his problems and getting better. i laughed when i found out he failed his piss test and i was proud of him actually. at least we knew then that he wasn't just a poseur with those dreads.

the whole marijuana issue is a whole nother thread. he is not a bad person for doing it, but it does affect his brain whether he likes it or not. this retirement is a prime example i feel. anyways i had a few drinks today and im just babbling here to my fellow diehards. i hope i don't get flamed.

oh heres something funny i was talking to a pat friend of mine and he says that maybe RW didn't want to wait till the last minute to retire but he kept putting it off. you know...typical stoner behavior. procrastinator from hell.

and to ricky...come back for yourself. your running from your life, and your real fans. i am a dolphin fan #1 and a ricky fan #2 but i will welcome you back to the dolphins or even the NFL when you are ready to return. i refuse to believe your intentions were purely to screw us over until i hear it from you.

kthxbai rw

overall pretty good post. Dont agreee with it all, but still good.

Dude I get misty eyed when ESPN keeps showing highlights of Ricky running all over the NFL. He got it done for two years. There aren't many guys out there with his athletic gift. But then he quit. Timing could really destroy this season. Some of us want him back but he doesn't want to come back. We should trully appreciate the Emmitt Smiths and Walter Paytons of the world for the beating they take and the endurance that they display.

Back
Top Bottom