Why is Damon doing well? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is Damon doing well?

Prakk said:
Considering the coaching staff, yes, I think Jay did. Jay was a coach on the field, people forget that.

Ive been trying to forget we ever started Fiedler. Hes a career backup that ruined our chances to compete for a title while he started. He held this team back and we won despite his horrible play.

Prakk said:
Another QB we threw away. Damon Huard, of the Kansas City Chiefs, 96.7 rating. Maybe we just don't know how to coach them.

Damon Huard is the product of having of a good offense around him.

NFL quarterbacks can all read a defense, they can all throw a football and they can all make plays in 7 on 7.

Where they deviate is their ability to adapt to pressure, their ability to get the ball out quick, their pocket presence and their ability look off recievers.

With the KC offensive line, Huard is playing basically 9 on 9 maybe. He is doing a pretty good job as of right now because he isn't being asked to do anything other then the basics of the QB position.

Now if

a. LJ gets hurt and defenses are able to focus on the pass game
b. A couple o linemen get hurt
c. They get to the playoffs and face a good defense with a good gameplan

then Huard will be tested to see how he adapts. If he excels in these situations he could be a realy good NFL QB, but as of now he hasn't proved anything.

dlockz said:
I'm not going to pretend that Huard would have been a great or even very good QB for us but I wish we had played him over Fielder the year that Marino retired. He might have been solid. He was solid when MArino got hurt.

me too. i hated fiedler from the start. whoever was our backup with the exception of lucas was always my favorite

NJL52 said:
Damon Huard is the product of having of a good offense around him.

NFL quarterbacks can all read a defense, they can all throw a football and they can all make plays in 7 on 7.

Where they deviate is their ability to adapt to pressure, their ability to get the ball out quick, their pocket presence and their ability look off recievers.

With the KC offensive line, Huard is playing basically 9 on 9 maybe. He is doing a pretty good job as of right now because he isn't being asked to do anything other then the basics of the QB position.

Now if

a. LJ gets hurt and defenses are able to focus on the pass game
b. A couple o linemen get hurt
c. They get to the playoffs and face a good defense with a good gameplan

then Huard will be tested to see how he adapts. If he excels in these situations he could be a realy good NFL QB, but as of now he hasn't proved anything.

So what? I mean he has good players around him and hes playing well, the samething goes for guys like Manning, etc Huard is playing really well. I saw that game last week, he looked really good. I dont care if its his line giving him time, teams stacking against LJ or whatever, the guy played good. This isnt a guy who was throwing for 104 yds 1td and 3ints like Fiedler was doing and we still won most of our games with him. We would have been better off starting Huard, hes a better player than Fiedler. Wannestadt was inarguably the worst talent evaluator in the NFL in the past 20 years.

KC doesn't have a dominant offensive line. We lost out two starting tackles from last year (including a future HOFer) and for most of this year the line has struggled. Will Shields is also nto what he was. The last two games the line has finally started to gel again, but by no means is it anything close to what it was last year. Huard is hardly a product of his oline. If anything he has gotton rid of the ball quickly and made his line look better in pass protection.

Basileus777 said:
KC doesn't have a dominant offensive line. We lost out two starting tackles from last year (including a future HOF) and for most of this year the line has struggled. Will Shields is also nto what he was. The last two games the line has finally started to gel again, but by no means is it anything close to what it was last year. Huard is hardly a product of his oline. If anything he has gotton rid of the ball quickly and made his line look better in pass protection.

didnt you just get welbourn back after he "retired"?:lol:

adamprez2003 said:
didnt you just get welbourn back after he "retired"?:lol:
He just got back, but he isn't going to start. The coaches don't want to mess with the oline after it has finally begun to gel. That was probabaly a large reason the line struggled so much, the better olines tend to be the ones that have been together for some time and it takes time for the line to adjust to 2 new starters. I don't know what kind of shape Welbourne is in either and if he is ready to start.

Basileus777 said:
He just got back, but he isn't going to start. The coaches don't want to mess with the oline after it has finally begun to gel. That was probabaly a large reason the line struggled so much, the better olines tend to be the ones that have been together for some time and it takes time for the line to adjust to 2 new starters. I don't know what kind of shape Welbourne is in either and if he is ready to start.

Let me ask you. Ive always had a hard time gauging just how good Kennison is mainly due to the style of offense you guys run. Where would you rank him in relation to other top receivers. Also is Ryan Sims still underachieving or did he elevate his game

adamprez2003 said:
Let me ask you. Ive always had a hard time gauging just how good Kennison is mainly due to the style of offense you guys run. Where would you rank him in relation to other top receivers. Also is Ryan Sims still underachieving or did he elevate his game

Kennison has gotton better during his years with the Chiefs. He used to be mainly a deep threat, but has become more well rounded. He still doesn't have the best hands and is far from being elite, but he is underrated by alot of people, even Chiefs fans. Alot of Chiefs fans lament that we don't have a "number 1 receiver", but Kennison has been productive for us. He's a below average #1 wr, but he is still better than most give him credit for. He is on pace for his 3rd strait 1000 yard season. Plus he owns Champ Bailey and the Broncos time and time again.

Sims is a bust and I have no hope for him. He is a backup to Ron Edwards and James Reed, two castoffs from the Bills and Jets. A UDFA Stephen Williams gets just as much playing time as Sims now.

Huard has been a damn good back up. The defenses did not respected him in the first couple of games and stacked the line to stop LJ. Each week they open the offense a little more for him. He is good for a fumble a game. He is a veteran the defenses have not figured out yet, not that much film.

The question is how good could he be being a full time starter. Trent should be back before long. He(Huard) will be a free agent in March. If he can play this well a game or two more, some team will throw some nice dollars his way this off season.

He could become the next Warner(though I think he's a lot better). Starter until your QB of the future is ready.

Basileus777 said:
Kennison has gotton better during his years with the Chiefs. He used to be mainly a deep threat, but has become more well rounded. He still doesn't have the best hands and is far from being elite, but he is underrated by alot of people, even Chiefs fans. Alot of Chiefs fans lament that we don't have a "number 1 receiver", but Kennison has been productive for us. He's a below average #1 wr, but he is still better than most give him credit for. He is on pace for his 3rd strait 1000 yard season. Plus he owns Champ Bailey and the Broncos time and time again.

Sims is a bust and I have no hope for him. He is a backup to Ron Edwards and James Reed, two castoffs from the Bills and Jets. A UDFA Stephen Williams gets just as much playing time as Sims now.

thx for the update. I dont catch alot of Chiefs games and I havent seen them this yr. I always liked Kennison but I could never quite place what I thought of his game in relation to the rest of the NFL. What you said about his game makes alot of sense

Do you remember Marino saying when he retired that Huard "needed" to be the starter for the Dolphins? Maybe we should have listened to Dan The Man. :dolphins:

Back
Top Bottom