Why is there so much bias in the NFL??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is there so much bias in the NFL???

I actually completely agree...

Now don't get me wrong i would of gotten rid of Cleo Lemon also, i think he was way to skinny for his frame, had no pocket presence, and couldn't read defenses worth a dang...

But Black QBs have a much tougher time in the NFL than white ones. Benching Donovan was unforgivable... That would of never happened to other white qbs of his caliber...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3025308

Why hasnt Byron Leftwitch found a home yet?
Why was Cleo Lemon chased out of town while he was a proven starter with upside?

Major props to McNabb for speaking his mind on the subject. A lot of pro athletes are scared to death to talk about anything relating to racial issues. That being said, a lot of the (ridiculous and unfair) criticism McNabb gets has to do with him playing in Philly. They would kill Peyton Manning if he was an Eagle. Would it be as bad as what they do to McNabb? Hard to say. Bottom line is that Donovan McNabb has been an elite QB in the NFL for pretty much his entire career. Eagles fans are morons for taking him forgranted, amongst other things.

In regards to Lemon, well I don't really think him being black had anything to do with him being let go. I don't think he was very good and Parcells and Co. were looking to upgrade that position, which they did. Significantly.

I dont know why Leftwich hasnt found a team yet, he would be an awesome back up, is he asking for to much money?

Lemon was a no-brainer; Leftwich really is a head-scratcher. I can only speculate that he's not been signed because maybe he's insistent on competing for the starting job and the powers that be don't view him that way. He's proven with Pittsb, that he'd be a great backup and I'd sure have signed him before someone like a Dan Orlovsky or Ryan Fitzpatrick fersure providing his compensation demands aren't unreasonable for a backup. But then again, why hasn't Garcia been signed yet? ... a bias against metrosexuals?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3025308

Why hasnt Byron Leftwitch found a home yet?
Why was Cleo Lemon chased out of town while he was a proven starter with upside?

Leftwich might want a starting role, but he doesn't seem the type to demand it. If he wants that kind of money that would be my guess.

I don't believe Lemon is anything better than a 3rd string.

I actually completely agree...

Now don't get me wrong i would of gotten rid of Cleo Lemon also, i think he was way to skinny for his frame, had no pocket presence, and couldn't read defenses worth a dang...

But Black QBs have a much tougher time in the NFL than white ones. Benching Donovan was unforgivable... That would of never happened to other white qbs of his caliber...

I find it hard to believe that McNabb was benched partly b/c of his color. He came back stronger after said benching and it helped the entire team.

To me, that is a good thing, not a racist thing.

Remember when McNabb accused TO of being racist because he said Brett Favre would have done better than McNabb in the Superbowl? That slightly tarnishes a lot of what McNabb has to say now for me, especially on the subject of race. Evidently it was Brett Favre's never missing a game in his entire career which was the salient point. Whether McNabb really thought TO was being racist or wanted to strike back at him in some manner, it made me think less of McNabb and his opinions.

That all written, I don't doubt there's still a bit of that outdated old (wrong) cliche about black QBs still floating about. I would like to think modern coaching staff wouldn't be dumb enough to let themselves fall into such preconceptions about people but wouldn't be overly surprised if some within the organisations are rather outdated in their thoughts, even if experience has proven them to be incorrect.

I wonder if the same happens the other way round for RBs? I can't think of a team with a starting ball carrying RB who is white. Peyton Hillis was probably as close as it got last season and that was only because everybody else was injured. Do you think people now have the preconception that white guys can't play RB?

Why is there bias in the NFL? Because bias exists everywhere. I'm biased agasint people that smoke. I'm also biased agasint people that are scared of guns. I'm biased against lots of people.

As for black QBs in the NFL, I'm sure there are some pockets of bias that exist. IT's just reality. There are plenty of black guys who can play the position and many that can't.

As far as Cleo Lemon? A what with WHAT?! A starter with upside? Dude...No.

Why is there bias in the NFL? Because bias exists everywhere. I'm biased agasint people that smoke. I'm also biased agasint people that are scared of guns. I'm biased against lots of people.

As for black QBs in the NFL, I'm sure there are some pockets of bias that exist. IT's just reality. There are plenty of black guys who can play the position and many that can't.

As far as Cleo Lemon? A what with WHAT?! A starter with upside? Dude...No.

Yea Anyone that thinks Lemon got screwed because he is black is way off, he is just not very good. I personally would have rather kept AJ Feeley.

Remember when McNabb accused TO of being racist because he said Brett Favre would have done better than McNabb in the Superbowl? That slightly tarnishes a lot of what McNabb has to say now for me, especially on the subject of race. Evidently it was Brett Favre's never missing a game in his entire career which was the salient point. Whether McNabb really thought TO was being racist or wanted to strike back at him in some manner, it made me think less of McNabb and his opinions.

That all written, I don't doubt there's still a bit of that outdated old (wrong) cliche about black QBs still floating about. I would like to think modern coaching staff wouldn't be dumb enough to let themselves fall into such preconceptions about people but wouldn't be overly surprised if some within the organisations are rather outdated in their thoughts, even if experience has proven them to be incorrect.

I wonder if the same happens the other way round for RBs? I can't think of a team with a starting ball carrying RB who is white. Peyton Hillis was probably as close as it got last season and that was only because everybody else was injured. Do you think people now have the preconception that white guys can't play RB?

McNabb is a ***** IMO. with that said, i do see some bias vs. Black QBs. and this is all speculation on my part, but as far as the whole calling TO racist and him speaking about racism a lot lately. to me it seems like, every since he was called out by ??(forget who) for trying to be a pocket passer and basically saying hes trying to be less black, McNabb has had this chip on his shoulder that seems like he wants to prove hes all about being black and has seemed to make everything racial since. now again, thats my opinion on him...

as far as the white RB bais. i could see it, but i dont believe it lives in the NFL. i think it IS prevelant in the lower ranks however.

i think there is more problem with bias vs. race and a particular position in college then in the pros. and thats for both races.

...every since he was called out by ??(forget who) for trying to be a pocket passer and basically saying hes trying to be less black...
Rush Limbaugh?

By the way, I don't think, at the NFL level, there really is any anti-white racism regarding RBs, WRs, CBs etc. At that highest level, I would be surprised if anyone who had a real say in the goings on of a team was stupid enough to handicap their team (and personal career) over something as petty as skin colour.

I think it's more likely that people have been channeled towards playing certain positions at earlier points in their lives and that's why they play those positions if they make it to the NFL. I'm sure there are plenty of black guys who can play QB, punter, kicker well and plenty of white guys who can play WR, RB, CB but who have been shoved towards the more 'standardised' positions at high school or college (maybe even earlier than high school) and never got to realise their potential at another position.

I think, with McNabb a lot of the reason he's had bother being accepted in Philadelphia at times is because (as far as I can tell) a lot of Eagles fans aren't exactly the most accepting and gracious of football followers in the world. I think he would get abuse no matter what skin colour he has.

Cleo Lemon was chased out of town because he wasn't very good. That second New England game in 2007 where he ran out of bounds instead of diving for the pylon pretty much was the final nail in the coffin, that sold me on the fact that Cleo will never have what it takes to a full time starter in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom